How do you mount your sides?

Guest Ken Mantlo

• 1 month later...
Guest Ken Mantlo

Took me awhile but here's how I do mine; Make a tube out of paper tape - sticky side out- and mount it on cart.  Add trimmed down sides and mix.  Each character gets their own highlighted color - it helps me visualize the cues.

Oh, the tape tubes stay sticky for about a month.

post-0-130815085726_thumb.jpg

post-0-13081508573_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure you remember for the longest time we avoided having anything magnetic anywhere near our carts...  the thought of using magnets near the Nagra...  yikes!

Yeah, I saw a cute mini gooseneck LED light at the hardware store the other day and thought it might be a good thing for a cart, but out of knee-jerk, blanched when I saw it had magnets to attach it to a surface.  Then I realized, "oh, right..."

I used to boom for a mixer who had a nifty metal french flag and socket arm that worked really well for sides.  I tried to duplicate this on my carts but none of the rigs held up over time all that well.  I eventually gave up on it and just started taping them to the monitor.  On bad days with a high page count I use another arm that's on my cart...

post-176-130815086198_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a marathon day my poor boom ops had to contend with on an episode of The Good Wife season 1.  We shot a jury room scene that was over 8 pages in length, 12 actors and three cameras shooting from one side, then the other.  The takes were over 10 minutes long, they were each 16ft out on the poles and we did this all day, for two days.  No wires, two booms.  I parked a good distance from set and via private line I fed the boom ops the actors' cues while mixing, they nailed it!  Day one was boomed by James Baker & Gioia Birkett-Foa and day two was Lukasz Janik & Gioia Birkett-Foa.  My hats off to some great work by them!  They had a group adr session planned before we shot, and they cancelled it.  Director said to me in passing after it was done that we had an easy day, I stopped him and politely set him straight.

Alex

sides mounted on cheap clipboard attached to rack rail via door hinge.

post-3562-130815087644_thumb.jpg

post-3562-130815087644_thumb.jpg

Here's a marathon day my poor boom ops had to contend with on an episode of The Good Wife season 1.  We shot a jury room scene that was over 8 pages in length, 12 actors and three cameras shooting from one side, then the other.  The takes were over 10 minutes long, they were each 16ft out on the poles and we did this all day, for two days.  No wires, two booms.  I parked a good distance from set and via private line I fed the boom ops the actors' cues while mixing, they nailed it!  Day one was boomed by James Baker & Gioia Birkett-Foa and day two was Lukasz Janik & Gioia Birkett-Foa.  My hats off to some great work by them!  They had a group adr session planned before we shot, and they cancelled it.  Director said to me in passing after it was done that we had an easy day, I stopped him and politely set him straight.

Alex

sides mounted on cheap clipboard attached to rack rail via door hinge.

Now that's some good old-fashioned movie-makin' there.  Good on you and your crew.  The posties should have bought you a case of beer.

Philip Perkins

I parked a good distance from set and via private line I fed the boom ops the actors' cues while mixing, they nailed it!  Day one was boomed by James Baker & Gioia Birkett-Foa and day two was Lukasz Janik & Gioia Birkett-Foa.  My hats off to some great work by them!

Alex

I love The Good Wife, I think it is the best show on TV. The show looks good, sounds good, great writing, characters and wonderful acting from the whole cast. I am amazed that you could boom a courtroom scene on TV...  I always assumed that courtroom scenes, multiple cameras wide and tight, TV schedule and all would require a lot of wireless work.

-  Jeff Wexler

I love The Good Wife, I think it is the best show on TV. The show looks good, sounds good, great writing, characters and wonderful acting from the whole cast. I am amazed that you could boom a courtroom scene on TV...  I always assumed that courtroom scenes, multiple cameras wide and tight, TV schedule and all would require a lot of wireless work.

-  Jeff Wexler

Hi Jeff,

Glad to hear you think the show sounds good, thats quite a compliment coming from you.  Actually the scene I was talking about was a jury room scene, the courtroom scenes definitely do involve some/a lot of wires and two booms, I'm often up to 10 tracks on those days.  However I am fairly persistent in making sure we get everything covered on a boom at some point.  Those scenes too always have 3 cameras and so the wires do definitely play a part, but I also make good use of the Sennheiser 8040s, I've got 4 of them in use and on-camera, they cover each lawyer's table, the Judge, and the witness.  They are a real life saver too when it comes to the Judge, big polyester robes that come up to the neck are a pain to try to wire.  I had production invest in the nice stands that are made for the 8000 series about half way through the first season and they look good too.  Sorry about straying way off subject on this post.

Alex