songs of satire

Doug Brandon

On the set, someone inevetibaly has to make fun of the boom operator and his/her ability to break the film with an annoying shadow. This is often kept in jest by singing a popular tune and cleverly replacing a word or words to make it fit appropriately.

The one heard most often is Cat Stevens "Moonshadow" becoming "I'm being followed by a boom shadow..."

Then there's the dance tune, "boom,boom,boom, let's go back to my room..." which rings well with the promiscuous hipster crowd.

My favorite, which I always have to explain the source, comes from "The Three Amigos" where, if I remember right, Steve Martin is singing at the campfire with the others, the horses are doing the 'bum ba de da's' in the background. The actual cowboy lullaby goes:

"Mooooooooon....shadooooows....on the trail..." 

This easily becomes appropriate working on westerns:

"Booooooooom......shadoooooows...on the trail...."

I understand it's it's kind of fun for others to make fun of the boom operator, who appears to do little more than wait around to hold a stick in the air, so why not make fun of the guy/gal when all they have to do is stay out of frame? (Yea, right!)

Therefore, I can understand why we get the songs, because the set is usually quiet, everyone has worked to make the scene happen, cameras are rolling, and suddenly we have to start over again because of a boom shadow. On a well grounded set, we the 'boom op' can quickly become the pinpoint of ridicule. But why not the electrician who left the cable in plain view across the floor? What about the boogie producer walking through the background on their cell phone? Of the many possibilities, why do we only hear "I'm being followed by a boom shadow..."

Where are the camera goof up songs? I would love to return to work armed with some nice "songs of satire" aimed at the camera department. Anyone know of any?

What are some new/refreshing boom op songs?

Maybe there are similar songs in other languages, possibly directed to other departments.

Doug

i once got treated to a version of sadé's smooth operator.

Ah, yes, I knew there was another pop op tune eluding me...

"No need to aaask she's a boom operatooooooor........"

(for those in politically correct land, she sings it––'he's a smoothe operator––I like singing about girls)

And Roger Slater, I'm working with a rather large 'A' camera operator who doesn't have much time for humor on the set (he's also the DP so I leave him alone as he is setting the speed for work), but the 'B' camera guys are kind of silly and we quietly taunt each other. The 'B' cam operator is just over five feet tall so I could throw "a little jerk on 'b' cam" out there––they can handle it.

I've been working with these guys for a few weeks now. The other day we were waiting for make-up to come to the set and I saw the 'B cam' operator sitting down near the camera. I called "Sound SPEED" loud enough for them to hear but not to disturb the set. It was worth two giggles: one as he almost fell off the apple box he was sitting on telling a joke or something, and again when he realized he had been bested by the boom op. (ok, it sounds a little boomcentric on my part)

Doug

Therefore, I can understand why we get the songs, because the set is usually quiet, everyone has worked to make the scene happen, cameras are rolling, and suddenly we have to start over again because of a boom shadow. On a well grounded set, we the 'boom op' can quickly become the pinpoint of ridicule. But why not the electrician who left the cable in plain view across the floor? What about the boogie producer walking through the background on their cell phone? Of the many possibilities, why do we only hear "I'm being followed by a boom shadow..."

Doug

I guess it's a fact of life on the set that we get our share of jokes thrown our way...for the most part, I'm good humoured about it and figure they're only joking about us because they like us, but if I never had to hear the "If it wasn't for sound..." joke again I wouldn't feel too bad.

About boom shadows and reflections, one time I got blamed for being in the reflection on a helmet and I was like, "What do you mean?  Everyone else BUT the boom is in the shot!"

Tim

"When was the last time you heard someone come out of a theatre whistling a two shot."

Cheers,

RVD

I have always liked that one because when you get right down to it, it is pretty absurd anyway considering how our minds work, how we remember things like images, sounds, smells. The other thing is the guy who did the two shot didn't get residuals but the guy who did the music everyone is whistling probably did.

-  JW

Hey All... This is a little off subject, but whenever I used to get the mic in frame, and it was "cut,cut,cut, boom on the shot!" I would always say, " No wonder it sounded so good." It would either get a big laugh, or go over like a fart in church. Most times the former, though there is a risk of the latter, but as one who enjoys stirring things up, I always said it. To this day Marydixie always use's it with great timing, though she rarely breaks frame with the mic.

Max Respect, Old School

There's a certain sort of DP that likes to initiate contact w/ a new sound dept by making one of several time-tested remarks the jist of which are that production sound is an almost useless hinderance to what he and his boys do ("you know, people talk about going out to SEE a movie" etc etc etc).  I used to counter that it seems to me that film w/o production sound seems like a camera test....  (And thus in the spirit of technical brotherhood off to work we go....)  Nowadays I don't react, and let him repeat it a few times since he thinks I haven't heard or understood.  Usually the younger folks on the set get the implied message that he is both lame and unoriginal, and probably a dick to boot.  Mission accomplished, and I haven't said a thing.

Philip Perkins

No songs, but the ONE thing I could live without is "waiting on sound"! And WE know that is a crock.  That is the only thing that is like finger nails on a chalkboard for me. So when there is a camera delay, you know I comeback with "waiting on camera". But never before they start it. I get ugly looks then:)

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason, to a lot of people, "Waiting On Sound" often means waiting for the sound of the siren, crying baby, jet, garbage truck, toilet flush, car alarm, clock chimes, lawn mower ... to end.  I love the glares and stares and the "Waiting On Sound" comments while we wait for the noise to cease, as if I have some sort of control over it.  It's a good time to remind them that we're waiting on (the) sound - not the sound department.