On My Radio

old school

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today would have been fellow Washington DC native Danny Gatton's 71st birthday. He grew up in the same part of town I did and really just wanted to play music with and for his friends, be at home with his wife and daughter and work on his cars. He had many invitations that would have led to fame and probably fortune but none of them ever worked out. He was the inspiration for John Sebastian's song Nashville Catsevidently Sebastian saw the then-teenaged Danny playing in the lounge of a Nashville Holiday Inn.  

Sadly, Danny died by his own hand on October 4, 1994 at the tender age of 49, just a month after his birthday.

A film about Danny and his music, The Humbler: Danny Gatton, has been in production since before Danny's death and should be released this fall. I have been fortunate to record several interviews for the film and look forward to its' release.

The second clip is just an excerpt of a concert with Danny and Bill Kirchen of Commander Cody and  the Lost Planet Airmen and Bill Kirchen & Too Much Fun on guitars, Dave Elliott on drums, John Previti on bass and Bruce Swaim on tenor sax. Dave and John played with Danny regularly for nearly 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...

This is from Handel's Saul. Some nice tunes and a snappy chorus you can hum along to.

The plot is that a lady who rather fancies David hears that he is to be married to a high ranking girl: "Ah, lovely youth, wast thou designed with that proud beauty to be joined?"  The short answer to this is apparently 'Yes'.

Meanwhile, Saul has returned after a battle and the crowd praises David rather more than him. This goes down like a cup of cold sick.

"David his ten thousand slew, ten thousand praises are his due"  they sing and Saul says: "What do I hear? Am I then sunk so low to have this upstart boy preferred before me?" Again it seems that the answer is 'Yes'. Students of the Bible will know the outcome to all this - all others listen to the oratorio in full, it is full of good bits.

On 10/8/2016 at 3:24 PM, Jim Feeley said:

Heard this last night. One of the all-time favorite brain-melt guitar solos. By Robert Fripp, iirc.

One of my fav Eno tunes of all time. Great album, too! Heard one from Another Green World, a few days back on the radio ~ something quite rare in the vast cultural wasteland of Floriduh. 

This tune just rolled across my speakers (though not this version). Great Chuck Mangione tune, performed here by his quintet. But I mostly like it because it reminds me of my son's high-school quintet playing the tune... played it at a couple jazz festivals and it directly helped each of the members earn scholarships for music school (which in the parents instilled a mix pride and worry :-) ).

A TV-friendly four-minute version (and who recognizes the bass player?):

Often on my radio, are the sounds from these original devices. So many of my musical and electronic heroes packed into a 12 minute visual feast for the synth and electro-geeks.

A major impact on 'who I am today', I had a bit of trouble deciding which thread this should be posted to.

7 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

Have you see the whole Rachel? If so, what did you think? Appeal beyond synth fans?

I've not, but I'm trying though. Not sure if the whole film is available there. And likely no appeal beyond synth fans (or perhaps those into electronics). I'm pretty intrigued at the gear, as well as the ripping sounds of those seminal quarter inch modulars. I was awed by the walls of pots and cables when I was a kid. Wendy Carlos, gets a reference, and I see John Foxx in there too, both key figures at different points in the art form.