On My Radio

old school

I caught a few minutes of the tour supporting the Union, Leon Russell and Elton John's show from the Beacon Theater on the tube last night. I was waiting for their album to be released, guess I missed it. Here's a promo clip for the project, at about 3:20 Elton John explains what makes  T Bone Burnet such a great music producer.

Great find Jim. I love Leon n T Bone B. Elton J is a major talent and a good soul to put this project of love n respect together. I am old school in many respects and that is why I just ordered the "Album" online from Amazon. I like to own the disk n info/cover/liner notes. I like to pay the Artist their due. I love the notion that people can come together and create art/movies/music for the sake of love n respect. I see by the credits that Cameron Crowe directed the piece. I hope J Wexler wasn't responsible for the windy lav work. He would of boomed it I am sure;-)

CrewC

Thanks, Crew. If you get a chance, look for the concert from the Beacon on cable or satellite. It's a live recording and the mix gets a little rocky at times and there was a short section that looked like there was a switchover between primary and backup feeds to the channel I saw it on, but the band is great. It was also fun to see the post-new album part of the show, the Elton's hits section. They were pretty great done by the band T Bone put together, definitely not the normal rock superstar arrangements I saw at a show I worked a few years ago.

You'll enjoy the album, I'm sure. I ordered Mad Dogs and Englishmen from Amazon after a listen to The Union, it gave me a real Leon jones and it's one Leon-heavy album I didn't have.

Best regards,

Jim

Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs And Englishmen Theme - Mad Dogs And Englishmen (1970)

• 1 month later...

Tonight Darlene Love makes her annual Christmas appearance on Letterman.

Darlene was better than ever. I've seen her in years past where she seemed to lose a little luster, but I thought she looked and sounded dynamite tonight in 2010. Great song. (And she looks 20 years younger than her actual age!)

--Marc W.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that, Crew -- jammin!  I had to quit watching it on my large screen laptop with the puny 1" speakers and watch it in the studio where I could put it up on the big monitors.  Yeah!

This year I watched the Grammys.  I don't know why, what with all the pop hype. 

However, this is why I'm glad I watched them.  Especially the Dylan portion with everyone backing him up on acoustics.  One of the best things on TV in a long time.

Mumford & Sons, The Avett Brothers and Bob Dylan Live @ 2011 Grammys

Good stuff John. I saw Mumford n Sons n Avett Bros.w Dylan on the Grammy Show. I have been a fan of Mumford n Sons for 2 years and Dylan forever. This was the first time I have seen Avett Bros live and I must say I like them better live than on their records. As for Purpetuum Jazzile, insane.  What a concept for a group.... Cheers.

CrewC

Hey Doug, this is one of my favorite albums n group from the day. I am predisposed to like Jackson Brown as we grew up in the same town n went to the same schools. We were 2 years apart but knew each other and had friends in common. He had a great band led by David Lindley who is in the video playing slide. Unbelievable talent on anything string. That record brings back many memories of the time. RVD and I listened to that album a million times at least as we were young 'soundmen' starting the long march...  David Lindley was a minor star as the front man for this great group. Good stuff IMO.

CrewC