On My Radio

old school

Danny Gatton's on my radio today, in honor of what would have been his 70th birthday. He was a native of my hometown, Washington, DC and played around town when he wasn't busy building hot rods. At the peak of his popularity, his band was playing 23 or 24 nights a month in the bars and nightclubs around town. John Preveti, who played bass with Danny for around 18 years, said of him "You know, when he played country music, it sounded like all he played was country music. When he played jazz, it sounded like that's all he played, rockabilly, old rock and roll, soul music. You know, he called himself a Whitman sampler of music." Danny's Redneck Jazz experiment with the late Buddy Emmons stands as proof. 

Sadly, Danny died by his own hand on October 4, 1994. He was only 49.

My friend Virginia Quesada's film about Danny called The Humbler - the Danny Gatton Story, which has been in the works since before Danny died, is slated for release in August of 2016.

Best regards,

Jim

Sadly no live performance of this beautiful, simple song by an amazing singer. There are videos of her performing this on YT, but the audio is too poor. Been repeating this song over and over a few days now. If Carolina is anything like the feel I get from this song, I wanna move there instantly.