On My Radio

old school

Published on Mar 30, 2015

During a production hiatus of the popular TV Show "Gunsmoke", the film crew decided to take off and film a barnstorming blues revue making it’s way across the country and they ended up in Eugene, OR with cameras rolling to film Muddy Waters, Big Mama Thornton, Big Joe Turner and George "Harmonica" Smith as they performed in a music hall.

Setlist:
1. Big Mama Thornton - Early One Morning
2. Big Mama Thornton - Ball And Chain
3. George "Harmonica" Smith - Juke
4. George "Harmonica" Smith - Leaving Chicago
5. Big Joe Turner - Hide And Seek
6. Big Joe Turner - Shake, Rattle And Roll
7. Muddy Waters - Mannish Boy
8. Muddy Waters - Long Distance Call
9. Muddy Waters - (I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man
10. Muddy Waters - Got My Mojo Working
11. Muddy Waters, Big Mama Thornton, Big Joe Turner, George "Harmonica" Smith - So Long

12. Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog
*13. Big Mama Thornton - Rock Me Baby
14. Muddy Waters - She's Nineteen Years Old
15. Muddy Waters - Walking Thru The Park

* below, is cued to (one of) my favorite part(s)

Jim:

Thanks for posting this.

Two incredibly talented and overlooked performers. Have had the opportunity to both record and watch John Prine on numerous occasions over the years, going back to the early days of the Earl of Old Town. The man has paid his dues (and then some). A totally under-rated talent.

As for Iris DeMent; what I would ever like to experience with her is unprintable (sincere apologies up front to the female members of this forum, but the boys who have ever seen her live will know what I'm talking about). If you you aren't moved by her, then your dead.....'Nuff said.

--S

Thanks, Scott.

Sam Moore turns 80 today. One half of "Double Dynamite," Sam & Dave. Moore maintains that he and Dave Prater went 13 years without speaking to one another and the middle part of their time performing together was chancy for fans with one or the other and even sometimes both failing to show up to shows. Here with 2 pretty great bands, Booker T. & the M.G.'s with the Mar-Keys and Springsteen's touring band circa 2009.

Willie's personal tribute to Gabby:

All of the above highlights are from the DVD: Hawaii Songs of Aloha

And, I would also like to include another performance here...

But, unfortunately, the embed feature on the following was disabled on You Tube -

(FYI - This is not from the DVD)

Here is the link to Kaulana Waialua A'o Moloka'i - Amy Hanaialii Gilliom & Willie K - Live

And tho, Bruddah Walter also had a big hit with this song - I personally like "3 Scoops of Aloha's" version better:

"Waiahole" - Google Map.  Google Street View* ( ... when I lived and worked in Hawaii - '86 to '97 - I would pass this place every day on my commute, to and from Punuluu - But, she was already gone, just before my time there.

And, an interesting connection to history with the words in the first stanza: "As she sings an island chant of long ago." (Hole Hole Bushi)

(*And, even though it says"Waikane" - we always knew it as 2 words "Waiahole / Waikane," when describing the area.) And, like the gal on the news report sez: "You'll nevah get it out of your head."  Fond memories. Thanks for indulging me.

• 4 weeks later...

Though I'm sure a lot of you already know this? -  I came across this the other day. And thought I'd share.

So, yeah - 'straight from the horses mouth' ... ( Ya know it being "Friday," and all.)

"Published on Aug 24, 2013

Stories of how ZZ Top came up with it's name have floated around the music world for years. Everything from the Z shape on a barn door on property bassist Dusty Hill owned to Zig Zig & Top rolling papers being their favorite medium for smoking weed. Guitarist Billy Gibbons finally gave up the goods in his book Rock and Roll Gear-head and confirmed it on a 2008 interview on KLRU Public Television in Austin, TX."