Rechargable AA info

Bob Marts

Unfortunately this article is a bit dated, but perhaps we can be reminded by other JWsound users which batteries they have had the most success using, and also perhaps a reminder which brands are same size for use in low-tolerance devices.

Robert

Yeah, it's a bit dated - (2006) but a lot of good basics are there for general knowledge. I found this chart with regard to tested capacity pretty interesting.

Bob

+1.  I have been using ipower lithiums 9vs and am ready to replace the NiMH AAs I've had for years.  I would love to hear what people recommend for AA lithium rechargeables.

-greg-

I don't know of any AA lithium rechargables, but I have been using the Powerex 2700 AA NiMH for about a year now and they are excellent.  Be sure to purchase the Maha MH-C9000 for charging these batteries, because it is the very best charger that I am aware of for NiMH AA & AAA batteries.

Regards,

Darryl Linkow, C.A.S.

I don't know of any AA lithium rechargables, but I have been using the Powerex 2700 AA NiMH for about a year now and they are excellent.  Be sure to purchase the Maha MH-C9000 for charging these batteries, because it is the very best charger that I am aware of for NiMH AA & AAA batteries.

Regards,

Darryl Linkow, C.A.S.

I second both the batteries and the charger. I've only had mine for two months so I can't comment on the long term, but I'm most impressed with the charger. You can select your charge rate in 100mA increments. Need them fast? Charge them hard. Nice and slow if you don't and they'll last longer. Batteries are charged individually, not in pairs as with all other chargers I've worked with. It also told me that some of my older rechargeables were done, ready for the recycling center. These were 2300's, but the charger allows you to select your battery's capacity. The break-in cycle for 4 new batteries - a very slow charge, a 1 hr pause, a very slow discharge, a 1 hr pause, a very slow charge - takes 35-40hrs.

The only test I did on the batteries got me 4h 5min in a Stereoline Rx 'till shutdown.

I've been using the Maha's for a few years now. They worked pretty good. But I'm switching over to the Sanyo Eneloop's. I found that the Maha's were great if used right off the charger, or a few hours after. But, for example, If I kept them in my bag for a week, when I went to use them they didn't have there full charge.

The Eneloops will hold there charge for much longer period of time after being taken off the charger. And even though the rated MHA rating is lower then the MAHA's I've heard from colleagues that runtime in Lectro TX's is pretty comparable.

And I can still use my MAHA charger with the Eneloops

http://www.eneloop.info/

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777

Is a great place to get rechargeable bits and pieces, for those in Europe.  Their 'good to go' range are eneloops in a different skin, I use them a lot. They have lower capacity than other available, but the fact they keep their charge for weeks easily over rides that for me.

Powerex have 2 types of batteries.

Their 2700 Mah ones will last a long time.

They also have their Imedion variety that, much like the eneloops, will hold a charge for a long time after being pulled from the charger.  It's different chemistry inside the battery.  I've heard great things on the eneloops and if you like the powerex brand and trust it, give the Imedions a try.

Powerex/Maha have their 8 bank charger with individual circuits to charge each battery evenly as opposed to the inexpensive chargers that have one circuit that starts charging all 4 compartments as soon as one battery is placed inside.  The wizard charger from Maha/Powerex is a 4 bank that does deep cycle reconditioning of batteries - it's a great system as well.  Something worth looking into.

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to put my 2 cents in here from a vendors experience....

Pro Sound sells Powerex, Energizer and Duracell . Powerex is our best seller. We have NEVER had any returns on the Powerex. Every client who has purchased the Powerex has been completly satisfied with them. At 2700 mah they last the longest. Energizers are a close second with 2200 mah. I do not recommend the Duracell as a re-chargeable possibility at this time. Powerex also comes with either a 4 bay or 8 bay charger for convenience. Also conveniently charges either AA or AAA!

Twade, thanks for the info on the Powerex.  Good info!

http://www.pro-sound.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PSS&Category_Code=BattRe

I have had very good experiences with Maha. They even sent me a replacement charger (8 bank) all the way to India, without wanting to get back their charger that had malfunctioned, just based on trust!! Excellent company, in the past i have given details of the person i was in touch with in the company.

-vin

Anyone find a solution for perfect fit NiMH batteries?  I found link for the Titanium Power Enduro NIMH AA, but I was wondering if there are other options, and want to find out if anyone has bought these recently and if they STILL can fit in the newest Ambient Lockit Box.

Thanks,

Robert

The Powerexes are great and I just picked up some eneloops this week and so far so good.  I recently got the SD552 (my first mixer!) but hadn't yet powered it from rechargeable AAs.  I used the rechargeables for the first time today and noticed that instead of reading a full charge at -30, it reads as only being -10.  Is this because the eneloops and powerexes are 1.2v instead of ProCells which are 1.5v?

Rich, EVERYTIME i try to access your website with Safari on OS X currently 10.5.6, your website crashes the browser. Maybe something you should get your webmaster to check on...

best regards

-vin

I'm running 10.6.2 and Safari 4.0.5 and the Pro Sound site works fine for me.