Smart Slate Question

Audio Daddyo

"   Is that something that I would miss? "

probably not!

the editor might...

s/he wouldn't be able to see the Director's name, and the DP's name as easily on every take!

the camera crew might wish they didn't have to illuminate the slate in dim set-ups...

but I don't think you will notice any difference in sound, or syncing 

The TS-3 can easily be modified.  I did it, and the cost was about the same as buying it that way.

Just be aware that when you decide to replace the face-plate after it gets beat up a bit, that'll cost about $150 to replace because that's where the backlight lies.

You won't miss it if you don't have it.  As other people have said, assistants usually shine a flashlight.  But if you are on ENG-style shows where the DP is the operator and the assistant, he/she might appreciate the backlight.  In those cases, the DP is often responsible for hiring a sound guy, so it might be one of those little details that get you hired on the next one.

I like having slates backlit, because I pat myself on the back because of how cool they look on my monitors when shooting on a dark set.  Nobody else cares.

Robert

Guest Ken Mantlo

Why not go with the mini slate?  The camera asst.'s love it and I think it's a hair cheaper, or maybe it was when I got mine on sale.  Oh and chicks dig a guy with a tiny clapper.

I don't even know what that means.

I will always opt for the full size digi slate, the Mini slate does not have the three brightness settings. I found that out the hard way when shooting outside on a sunny California day..... Man did that suck.... Mini slate failed terribly.... I do like the back light feature.....

I will always opt for the full size digi slate, the Mini slate does not have the three brightness settings. I found that out the hard way when shooting outside on a sunny California day..... Man did that suck.... Mini slate failed terribly.... I do like the back light feature.....

That's interesting.  My TS-C has about 7 brightness settings for the timecode display only, and another 5 that kick in when the backlight switches on.

The "brightness" buttons are not marked.  Maybe that's why you thought there was no way to adjust it?  They are on the back towards the right and just under the "clapper" hinge.  They are small little plastic buttons about 1/4" in diameter.  The one the left lowers the brightness, and the one on the right increases it.

So actually, I believe you have many MORE brightness settings on the TS-C than you do on the TS-3.  Additionally they put the power switch on the inside of the battery compartment so it is far less likely to be accidently shut off.

Perhaps you were refering to the TS-1/2?  In which case I have no knowledge of that unit.

Tom

I like having slates backlit, because I pat myself on the back because of how cool they look on my monitors when shooting on a dark set.  Nobody else cares.

Only the assistant editor and post crew need to see the slate (generally). But I know the camera assistant appreciates not having to precariously balance the slate and a flashlight. Little things like this are appreciated. And it looks a little better in dailies.

I do wish there was an updated version of the TS-3 that had the half-dozen different brightness scales of the TS-C. Maybe someday...

--Marc W.