A new book?

soundtrane

Hi

I remember with great fondness reading Visions of Light, the book about cinematographers and their work and experiences. I am sure there are a number of sound mixers who could share their experiences and stories. Before the great mixers of the yesteryears fade away into oblivion, I thought it would be very relevant and truly great for a book like Visions of Light to be written...

best

-vin

Hey Vin, greetings.... As I spend another sat. on stage, reading the NY Times, crewzin web sites, and stiring things up, etc, I find myself pondering your post, unable to come up with an opinion. Very odd for an opinionated A hole like me. I liked the Book "Visions of Light" , but I've always been a student of the cinema, so thats not surprising. I would like to read about the war stories of mixers who recorded classic films, the equipment they used, etc.... but I would guess that it is a small market of you and me and maybe a 1000 of our bros and sisters in the craft who would respond to a project like this. I would hate to discourage any one from a labor of love, but a book as well constructed as "Vision" would be a lotta work. That said, I would buy a copy, maybe two....

Max. Respect, Old School

I have a book titled "Sounds of Movies" by Nicholas Pasquariello (Port Bridge Books, San Francisco, 1996) that has some interesting interviews with production and post production mixers, as well as a section describing preparing sound for international releases.  There are some interesting interviews with Chris Newman, Drew Kunin, and others.  Although it was published in the mid-90's, the bulk of the work on the book seems to have been done in the 80's, as the films discussed generally came out in the 80's and there is a lot of analog (and not too much digital) technology discussed.  Definitely an interesting read, even if a bit dated.

Tim

Hey Vin, greetings from So Cal.... What part of the world do you hail from(come from)? I'm always curious where people are living and working, if it none of my biz, I understand as well... If Tim sends you, or you get a copy of the book "S.O.M.", Read it outloud and record it and make a audio book, or podcast for the rest of us lazy soundtypepeople. Just my Idea of the day, careful, because it is free advise.

Max. Respect, Old School