sound reports

greg sextro

can anyone tell me what they typically use for sound reports? 

outside of printing up forms from you local rental house or designing your own, are any of you guys using carbon copy booklets? 

i have been thinking of getting some custom ones printed on carbon copy, but am unsure as to how many layers (white, red, yellow etc...) are typically included in each sheet.

or is maybe this process not worth it and i should just stick to the ones i design and print and/or xerox?

any thought or opinions?

thanks

-greg-

I've designed my own for the past 28 yrs or so, each new one suited to changes in gear and practice.  It's not that hard to do.  I have a local printer make me 3 part NCR paper forms from my design.  Saves work, looks good.  If you don't want to bother,  all the major film sound sales companies sell report forms of their own.

Philip Perkins

can anyone tell me what they typically use for sound reports?  thanks

-greg-

There have been many discussions here and on r.a.m.p.s. regarding sound reports, particularly as more and more people are using multi-track (more than 2) recorders. Several mixers I know have designed lots of different kinds of reports, some full page, some half page and even long form like the typical old style sound/camera report. Once designed, usually in a graphics program of some sort, people have been having them printed typically in 3-part NCR (no carbon required) padded (bound at the top) forms --- Kinko's can do this or any printing place.

I have designed probably 5 different types of reports but have settled in on my longest running design which is a half page format. I have revised the columns and column headings to accomodate the increased necessary notation for multi-track work and the new information required for non-linear recording. These have served me well and even though I have designed some full page style reports with lots of columns for multi-track assignments and notes, I have never used them.

Youy can get some ideas on some of these report forms from Coffey Sound, Location Sound and Trew Audio, as all of these places have designed reports. Glen Trew has done some really nice ones to accomodate multi-track work.

Hope this helps.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

"3-part NCR"

that's really what i needed to know.  i have been using a full page sheet for a while now and decided to design a half page.  also a redesign was in order because i went from a two track to a four track recorder.

(i did a search thru old posts here, but not on ramps, which i'll do now, to do some more reading)

i'm going to stop by staples today.  only one question remains for me:  who get's what copy?  who get's the pink, who the canary and who the white?

best

-greg-

[quote author=greg sextro

i'm going to stop by staples today.  only one question remains for me:  who get's what copy?  who get's the pink, who the canary and who the white?

best

-greg-

Usually the top copy goes with the "tape", the 2nd copy can go to whoever might want/need it (script super?) and the bottom copy you hold so you have a reference when you get the 3am call from post saying they can't find something.

Eric

I've settled on a 4 part NCR/full page design for the last few shows, since I've gone to 8 tracks.  The first track always being the mix track, and what is used for dailies and telecine.  I'm going to try and add my current design as a pdf to this post.

I've started giving the top (white) copy to editorial, as this is the copy that gets photocopied the most...for editors, dialog edit, re-re, etc.  The next copy usually gets sent to production for their mass of files.  The next copy, usually pink, goes to telecine to match up with camera for circled takes.  And the bottom copy stays with me, for later reference when they can't find something.

PWP

jericho_snd_report.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Where did you find 4 part NCR?  I've been searching without success.

Thanks,

Noah

I've settled on a 4 part NCR/full page design for the last few shows, since I've gone to 8 tracks.  The first track always being the mix track, and what is used for dailies and telecine.  I'm going to try and add my current design as a pdf to this post.

I've started giving the top (white) copy to editorial, as this is the copy that gets photocopied the most...for editors, dialog edit, re-re, etc.  The next copy usually gets sent to production for their mass of files.  The next copy, usually pink, goes to telecine to match up with camera for circled takes.  And the bottom copy stays with me, for later reference when they can't find something.

PWP