lav bullet

soundtrane

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think what the talent has to put up with in makeup, especially if sfx masks etc., are involved - by comparison getting wired for sound is a piece of cake. Stand tall, be professional, don't act weird - people sense if you are uneasy and it makes them uneasy in turn... why would I want to do that? So the talent is hot - you walk up professionally, friendly but meaning BUSINESS.

Good point about makeup being far more intrusive than wiring.

However, I've had the chance a few times to be a fly on the wall in makeup or costume rooms, waiting to wire someone.

I was impressed how much they talk about what they're doing, not in an apologizing way, but rather explaining - and how they mix this with small talk. Talking them through the process much like a good dentist does.

Wiring has gotten much more relaxed since I've copied that behaviour.

• 2 weeks later...

Whew! Erm, love these blasts from the past. So I have a new problem with Sound Guys - they discontinued the awesome one-piece Lectro TA lav bullet! We're back to the two-piece thing. It seems the new adaptors are made of stronger metal, and there's no "plug piece" to reinforce it.

I am so glad I got a bunch of the one-piece TA ones. The new (old) design is longer (doesn't drop as easily) and not nearly as sexy. Boo.

I understand the mentality behind it, but I loved it when we had a choice.

Dan Izen

Just one thing with the Lav bullet- Don't do what I did. I forgot to take it from my ENG bag that I was carrying onto a plane and put it on my check on luggage about six months ago at LAX. The TSA made me pull apart my entire sound rig so that they could swab each piece individually and made me suffer the Spanish inquisition over what the Lav Bullet is actually for. After a grilling and then a lecture from the shift supervisor I was allowed to continue on to my flight, and they let me keep the bullet so long as I kept it hidden so as not scare any passengers. 30 minutes to rebuild the rig and then a mad dash to the gate to make my flight, all on account of me forgetting about the Lav Bullet.

I've thought about this too... Has anyone had trouble with the lav bullet when when they've packed it in their checked luggage?

I've thought about this too... Has anyone had trouble with the lav bullet when when they've packed it in their checked luggage?

Checked should be fine. I always put it in my checked luggage. TSA has rules about "replicas", and they are prohibited from carry-on. They also have specific rules for real guns & live ammo in checked luggage, but a "replica" is fine just being packed, And it seems like some TSA people will call this a replica.

I have a feeling a lot of security TSA people will ignore this if its in a bag you carry on, but why risk it? I'm worried I'll eventually forget I have mine in my pocket and get it confiscated.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

I've never had an issue with the Lav bullet in checked luggage, I just had a problem the one time I forgot that it was in my ENG bag that I was carrying  on. That experience makes me double check that the lav bullet is in my checked luggage. I know it's just a weight, but I'd rather not have to suffer the inconvenience that the TSA put me through again

About seventy percent of the time when I retrieve my check on there is that card that the TSA leave saying that they have opened my luggage to inspect the contents, but since so much of our stuff is unusual and electronic I couldn't say if this is on account of the bullet or a combination of everything else that's in the case. 

On a side note that is related. I've often had my ENG bag pulled out for swabbing after the Xray scan, but I recently signed up for TSA pre. Does anyone else here use that service and if so have you found that you get an easier time when it comes to sending your sound rig through the security check? That was the main reason I signed up for TSA pre in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Swabbing still occurs with TSA pre - but for me it seems less often.

Got a false positive on a swab of my audio bag last year going through Pre.  Things got interesting...

Long story short, I was reassembling the bag after the TSA agent tore out each and every cable and component and inspected them individually one at a time.  And I was almost as thoroughly searched myself...

It's kind of baffling they take them considering all the other stuff the TSA finds. I just saw them post that they average 6 firearms a day at checkpoints! Makes me wonder why they care about these when they are finding so many guns and knives.

Their Instagram account is pretty amazing. https://instagram.com/tsa/