lav bullet

soundtrane

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone, Thomas Popp from Sound Guys Solutions here. I want to thank Marc Wielage for informing me about this post. We do our best to keep up with everything on these message boards, but cannot always find the posts in order help our customers out.

First off, I am going to start by saying thank you to all of our happy customers! We appreciate the support and for the word of mouth that has gotten our products out into the work force.

We created the Lav-Bullet (as well as the Lav-Rod - which I will explain later) with one thing in mind: Giving Sound Professionals a Professional Product. Too many times have I seen engineers ask me to use a "trouser trout", a wrench, or a coat hanger to wire an actor. Personally, I believe that having professional tools make a great impression. Just today I was told by the lead actress on set that our sound team was "better than the last crew" because we didn't use tools that looked like they were dragged through the mud. They put the actor at ease and make them feel like they are getting the "star" treatment when we use these types of accessories.

Next - Sound Guys Solutions products are EXPENDABLES. If you are strapped for cash, then pick one up with your next expendables order! If your line producer is asking, "why on earth are you asking for a $40 tool?" you can explain to them that this tool will save them money because it will DRASTICALLY improve your wiring time while also keeping your actors impressed with you.

In terms of the Lav-Buller breaking - watch this video. This has been remedied MONTHS ago. We have informed all of our dealers as well as posted a video on JWSound. Here is the video again. It also talks about the carabiner accessory that we are including with the product and how to remedy it if the cable slips out of the boot. This video will give you ALL of the information to get your Bullet back to working order again. Also - the steel rod that gets inserted inside of the bullet should be available at all of our dealers. Bring in the bullet and they will just give you one at no cost. This will solve the issue you are having.

Dan Izen, please contact me to tell me who "denied" your request. This did NOT come from us. Clearly a manufacturer will do everything in the customer's best interest to make sure that if a product breaks that it is repaired or replaced! I want to make sure you are taken care of, so please contact me off the site. This goes to anyone as well - please contact me @ thomas@sound-guys.com if you EVER have any issues. We work hard to make sure our customers are ok!

Next, the Lav-Bullet without an adapter on it is NOT recommended to be used with waterproof lavalieres (MM400 Lavs). We have an adapter that will work for these lavs. The threads ARE different and it can damage your lavalier's connector.

Also, "Toy Robot" and others asked a great question: the reason why we make accessories is so people do not have to purchase (3) separate bullets just when they need to work with other mixers OR work with different types of gear. AND, doing this would raise the price. It costs a LOT to manufacture because we have to buy THOUSANDS of bullets at a time.

However, we are in the process of making a NEW lav-bullet, it will be called Lav-Bullet Lectro. This product will be SPECIFICALLY for mixers that only use Lectro products. It will NOT work with the adapters. This means that if you only use Lectro, you can purchase a bullet that will NOT break (because the TA Male will be one with the bullet). We have literally THROWN the new bullet on the ground and it has survived. It can still dent by being thrown, but a simple drop will not phase it.

Next, we will be selling the older product under a new name: Lav-Bullet Blank (get it?) If you want to be able to mix and match (which we recommend for Utilities that want to be prepared with their own tools), then purchase the Lav-Bullet Blank and then purchase the adapters you need.

And finally, the Lav-Rod! It works with all of our adapters and allows you to wire women or men with tight pants. The actresses LOVE IT. I cannot stress this enough. They will be telling you thank you time and time again for getting this product. I also use it to fish the wire down tight dresses. It looks professional and will shave MINUTES off of your wiring time.

Here is a video on how it works! Subscribe to our channel too in order to stay up to date with our products.

Alright everyone. Thanks for the support. I hope this clears up everyone's questions and comments on this topic!

~Thomas Popp

Sound Guys Solutions

818-359-1348

thomas@sound-guys.com

We created the Lav-Bullet (as well as the Lav-Rod - which I will explain later) with one thing in mind: Giving Sound Professionals a Professional Product. Too many times have I seen engineers ask me to use a "trouser trout", a wrench, or a coat hanger to wire an actor. Personally, I believe that having professional tools make a great impression. Just today I was told by the lead actress on set that our sound team was "better than the last crew" because we didn't use tools that looked like they were dragged through the mud. They put the actor at ease and make them feel like they are getting the "star" treatment when we use these types of accessories.

Clearly a manufacturer will do everything in the customer's best interest to make sure that if a product breaks that it is repaired or replaced! I want to make sure you are taken care of, so please contact me off the site. This goes to anyone as well - please contact me @ thomas@sound-guys.com if you EVER have any issues. We work hard to make sure our customers are ok!

Also, "Toy Robot" and others asked a great question: the reason why we make accessories is so people do not have to purchase (3) separate bullets just when they need to work with other mixers OR work with different types of gear. AND, doing this would raise the price. It costs a LOT to manufacture because we have to buy THOUSANDS of bullets at a time.

~Thomas Popp

Sound Guys Solutions

818-359-1348

thomas@sound-guys.com

So many good points and a positive, customer oriented response to boot. Awesome. Now I just need to upgrade to new Lectro units at some point in the future and I'm in the market for a Lav Bullet.

8)

I'm really puzzled why this is so puzzling.

The TA adapter for the Lav Bullet (a TA adapter comes with it) is a male TA shell, available for the price of a male TA connector, which you can get for under $4 (and you have the innards you can save for spare parts for your wired TA connectors).

http://www.redco.com...exd.asp?id=1295

Dan, I respectfully submit that if you truly don't know what a Lemo connector is, perhaps you should spend a bit less time cussing people out and convert just a touch of your anger into energy learning some of the tidbits of your trade. Actually, I have trouble believing you don't really know what a Lemo connector is -- it sounds more to me like you're looking too hard for something else to be angry at.

In our industry Lemos are most often used for time code and on wireless microphone transmitters. So, even in Lav Bullet land, a TA adapter is used to connect a TA connector, and a Lemo adapter is used to connect a Lemo connector.

Just as TA5F connectors are common on the majority of Lectrosonics wirelesses as well as some Audio Technica units and others, Lemo connectors are used on Zaxcom wirelesses, the higher end Sennheisers, as well as others.

The Lemo adapters cost what they do because ALL Lemo connectors are expensive (unless they're cheap knock-offs -- and, yes, you do get what you pay for).

It still puzzles me why this is puzzling.

? But I didn't even curse this post why you knockin me Johhny? I don't know nearly as much as you do when it comes to electronics but I do know a lemo isn't a TA, yet I've seen many folks mistake the two.

You didn't like it either when I called out Zax on not making the new Nomad preamps available as an upgrade to Deva preamps. I still think it's a slap in the face so there. Your attitude is super professional, mine is quirky. We both work so let's all celebrate diversity. And don't tell me you don't ever curse on the job, you don't strike me as "one of those." One of my favorite things about this industry is I'm commonly hearing my bosses casually curse all day. I like cursing so sue me Johnny!

Anyway between your criticisms of my personal style I gleaned the awesome tip that any old TA connector "ring" will fit the bullet. I'll have to go try that I have a ton of those. So thank you for that. Sorry I am so ignorant as to not see that's what that part was, maybe it was the shiny metal that none of my other TA connectors have.

I am also glad my post was able to elicit the fact that The Sound Guys are aware of the problem and have developed a solution in the form of a new product. It was a "usual suspect" that told me I could not get that part, and they said that's what you guys told em. Who knows who really said what but I found it pretty shocking, and I'm glad to learn that was wrong.

Dan Izen

? But I didn't even curse this post why you knockin me Johhny? I don't know nearly as much as you do when it comes to electronics but I do know a lemo isn't a TA, yet I've seen many folks mistake the two.

You didn't like it either when I called out Zax on not making the new Nomad preamps available as an upgrade to Deva preamps. I still think it's a slap in the face so there. Your attitude is super professional, mine is quirky. We both work so let's all celebrate diversity. And don't tell me you don't ever curse on the job, you don't strike me as "one of those." One of my favorite things about this industry is I'm commonly hearing my bosses casually curse all day. I like cursing so sue me Johnny!

Anyway between your criticisms of my personal style I gleaned the awesome tip that any old TA connector "ring" will fit the bullet. I'll have to go try that I have a ton of those. So thank you for that. Sorry I am so ignorant as to not see that's what that part was, maybe it was the shiny metal that none of my other TA connectors have.

I am also glad my post was able to elicit the fact that The Sound Guys are aware of the problem and have developed a solution in the form of a new product. It was a "usual suspect" that told me I could not get that part, and they said that's what you guys told em. Who knows who really said what but I found it pretty shocking, and I'm glad to learn that was wrong.

Dan Izen

Oh, come on, Dan, does this boil down to, you're entitled to your opinion no matter how confrontational, but I'm only entitled to mine if I sugarcoat it?

Where's the love for being direct -- I thought you liked that.

Even though I made my own, the actual Lav Bullet must be awesome. I know this because the one I made works like a charm, and the actual Lav Bullet has to be even better with specialized connectors and more weight.

I'll use the one I made for now, but when I upgrade to Lectro gear I'll definitely be purchasing a legit Lav Bullet since the connection on mine will no longer work. After using mine for the first few days of a shoot, I am thoroughly impressed by this invention. I suggest that any person doing location sound have one of these (the actual Lav Bullet).

And the comments by both Thomas P. from the company and other users here are spot on: Talent just LOVES what it does.

Most talent I work with still haven't seen it, but some notice it and comment: "hey - it's the bullet!"

I do kind of wish it was made of a hard plastic instead so I didn't always worry about keeping it warm.

I also had one that broke. I took into Pro-Sound and Rich had the good idea of grabbing the shell from a standard male TA3/5, but the new insert that is supposed to prevent the break doesn't actually fit! Kind of unfortunate if you ask me.

A great tool - makes wiring very speedy.

I think though, that I will make my own lav rod if I feel I ever need one.

• 2 years later...

What's with the warming? Man up, lady, gent! "OK, this is metal and might be a bit cold, so heads up!" and off you go.

I find that a cold bullet makes for some interesting conversation.  If the actors are coddled wusses then a cold bullet helps bring them back to being human.  If after a few days we become friendly and it's a gal, then I'll warm it up for them.  Otherwise I tell them that having a warm bullet is a lot like sitting on a warm toilet seat - it creeps you out thinking about how it got that way.

Well, no, I'm not being a jerk. I honestly feel that a robust approach to wiring is superior. If you approach the talent hemming and hawing and acting weird, it actually makes them feel creepy. But if you walk up with a matter-of-fact attitude, then having to put your hands here and there seems just like the job that it is, and not some creepy thing you have to apologize for. It's like makeup - part of the job, and quite frankly, compared to makeup, it's far less stressful and onerous... think what the talent has to put up with in makeup, especially if sfx masks etc., are involved - by comparison getting wired for sound is a piece of cake. Stand tall, be professional, don't act weird - people sense if you are uneasy and it makes them uneasy in turn... why would I want to do that? So the talent is hot - you walk up professionally, friendly but meaning BUSINESS. No weird apologies and no weird movements. Drop the dang thing, wire up - keep the explanations to a minimum. Seriously. Everyone prefers the guy who knows just what he wants and what needs to be done and takes a firm hand and responsibility - you can trust and rely on. Have you ever been around dogs or children or for that matter other human beings? Uneasy energy is contagious, and calm assertive energy is too. Up to you what you want to spread.

Just one thing with the Lav bullet- Don't do what I did. I forgot to take it from my ENG bag  that I was carrying onto a plane and put it on my check on luggage about six months ago at LAX.  The TSA made me pull apart my entire sound rig so that they could swab each piece individually and made me suffer the Spanish inquisition over what the Lav Bullet is actually for. After a grilling and then a lecture from the shift supervisor I was allowed to continue on to my flight, and they let me keep the bullet so long as I kept it hidden so as not scare any passengers. 30 minutes to rebuild the rig and then a mad dash to the gate to make my flight, all on account of me forgetting about the Lav Bullet.