lav bullet

soundtrane

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, warming it up is a good idea. People walk up to me by my cart and ask, "is that a Lav Bullet in your pocket, or are you just happy to be here?"

Over the last few days on a fashion shoot, I had to wire up 4 or 5 extremely beautiful women, and they were surprised at how fast and efficient we wired them up. I'd say the Lav Bullet is one of those little tricks that just helps you do the job another 5 or 10 seconds faster, with less fumbling.

So I was literally on the purchase page when I decided to try and make one instead. I'm using wireless mics with 3.5mm locking connectors, and it got me thinking that the ease of available adapters might be manipulated into a lav bullet for poor folks.

So I made one. And it works.

A trip to the hardware store, a fishing store, a drug store and a dollar store, some time, a little thought and $10 later:

That's true -- there are similarly-sized TA5 -> XLR adapters that would sorta/kinda work. But they really put some thought into the Lav Bullet, and its heavy weight, small size, and very smooth surface are absolutely perfect for its intended purpose. I don't mind paying a little more for a better mousetrap, especially one I use on almost every shoot.

Three (unbelievably hot) fashion models commented on it, when I used it with them a couple weeks ago. They were impressed that we had them wired and going in 90 seconds, and that included a Neopax wrap.

That's true -- there are similarly-sized TA5 -> XLR adapters that would sorta/kinda work. But they really put some thought into the Lav Bullet, and its heavy weight, small size, and very smooth surface are absolutely perfect for its intended purpose. I don't mind paying a little more for a better mousetrap, especially one I use on almost every shoot.

Three (unbelievably hot) fashion models commented on it, when I used it with them a couple weeks ago. They were impressed that we had them wired and going in 90 seconds, and that included a Neopax wrap.

So, let me get this straight... You're saying that a device that helps you spend LESS time fiddling around an unbelieveably hot fashion model's body is a GOOD thing?

Maybe it's time we had "that talk."

Thanks Rick. The one thing that is missing from the pictures is that one fishing weight was not enough. In order to increase weight, I filled the Vicks inhaler with small nails so that the headphone adapter would slide between them, then filled the unit with super-glue (all the way to the brim). I then finished assembly and wiped the excess super glue from the unit off.

My worry was that the unit would be airtight, and that the super glue would not dry inside. I decided to fill it with super glue anyway because I didn't want anything rattling around in the unit, and I need the extra weight.

As it turns out, the headphone jack let in enough air that the superglue dried overnight and it's solid as a rock now, and plenty heavy enough to get the job done.

Enjoy!

Alright I have been silent long enough. I have a beef with these guys.

There are two parts to each Lav Bullet, the bullet and the connector. The bullet part is heavy and awesome. The connector part is a little cylinder that screws into the bullet on one end, and the other end is what you plug your downward-bound lav into. The connector is thin and weak. It breaks. I've had two break, each from a single drop from waist height onto concrete.

Ok, stuff breaks when dropped that's fair. But when I asked about just replacing the broken part I was denied. That was a few months ago, I just took a look at their site and it said $22 for a lemo connector maybe that's the one that fits the TA connectors. A lemo connector is not a TA connector as far as I know so maybe this situation still exists. (I know Senator Michael I'm lazy and it's after hours.)

Anyway at the time I had to "bite the bullet" and pay full price. If I only coulda gotten just two connector parts, both Lav Bullets would be as good as new. $22 is slightly more than half the cost of the whole thing, but it's still worth it to me. I really do have to call them and ask if they mean TA or lemo. Oh well.

So final review: very cool but deceptively not sturdy. And don't expect any sort of support for the cheap breaky parts. Maybe this post will correct this who knows. I hope so because otherwise it's a great product. I used to use fishing tackles and tire weights and they were not nearly as sexy.

Dan Izen

One of the reasons I didn't purchase one is because I don't want to buy a product, and then an adapter to make the product work (if I can help it). Now, understandably there are certain types of equipment in the world that require adapters to function, including, say a mixer, but it's not the same in my mind. I want to buy a 3.5mm ready lav bullet. One piece, and no small pieces to break. Dan, your comments make me glad I made one.

I have to agree with Dan here. Not only has that wire loop that holds it to the carabiner broken through the boot, but the connector can't even hold the bullet from regular wear and tear.

I fixed the boot problem by filling it up with hot glue, but having the bullet coming off premature / held with a piece of tape is pretty annoying.

I just got mine. For lavs I *mostly* use mics with a TA5, or the Lectro MM400 (and will fit the WM), so the standard version is perfect. I currently own a Zaxcom TRX900/STA150 I occasionally repurpose as an additional channel of wireless.

Dan- thanks for the warning! That connector is not just part of a male TA plug? I was wondering that when looking at it. The belt loop end is a Rean TA plug, and I'm not familiar with their hardware (read about them here, but never touched one before).

Trew lists the "Lectro" replacement for $6 http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?printable=Y&productid=1226&cat=48&page=2

my biggest fear is that I'll completely forget to remove it from my pocket while traveling. My most recent job has had us shooting for a few hours, then flying somewhere. I would keep it in my pocket because !) keep it warm 2) I wouldn't trust that it won't fall off if I just clip it to my bag or harness.

anyway, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Alright I have been silent long enough. I have a beef with these guys.

There are two parts to each Lav Bullet, the bullet and the connector. The bullet part is heavy and awesome. The connector part is a little cylinder that screws into the bullet on one end, and the other end is what you plug your downward-bound lav into. The connector is thin and weak. It breaks. I've had two break, each from a single drop from waist height onto concrete.

Ok, stuff breaks when dropped that's fair. But when I asked about just replacing the broken part I was denied. That was a few months ago, I just took a look at their site and it said $22 for a lemo connector maybe that's the one that fits the TA connectors. A lemo connector is not a TA connector as far as I know so maybe this situation still exists. (I know Senator Michael I'm lazy and it's after hours.)

Anyway at the time I had to "bite the bullet" and pay full price. If I only coulda gotten just two connector parts, both Lav Bullets would be as good as new. $22 is slightly more than half the cost of the whole thing, but it's still worth it to me. I really do have to call them and ask if they mean TA or lemo. Oh well.

So final review: very cool but deceptively not sturdy. And don't expect any sort of support for the cheap breaky parts. Maybe this post will correct this who knows. I hope so because otherwise it's a great product. I used to use fishing tackles and tire weights and they were not nearly as sexy.

Dan Izen

I'm really puzzled why this is so puzzling.

The TA adapter for the Lav Bullet (a TA adapter comes with it) is a male TA shell, available for the price of a male TA connector, which you can get for under $4 (and you have the innards you can save for spare parts for your wired TA connectors).

http://www.redco.com...exd.asp?id=1295

Dan, I respectfully submit that if you truly don't know what a Lemo connector is, perhaps you should spend a bit less time cussing people out and convert just a touch of your anger into energy learning some of the tidbits of your trade. Actually, I have trouble believing you don't really know what a Lemo connector is -- it sounds more to me like you're looking too hard for something else to be angry at.

In our industry Lemos are most often used for time code and on wireless microphone transmitters. So, even in Lav Bullet land, a TA adapter is used to connect a TA connector, and a Lemo adapter is used to connect a Lemo connector.

Just as TA5F connectors are common on the majority of Lectrosonics wirelesses as well as some Audio Technica units and others, Lemo connectors are used on Zaxcom wirelesses, the higher end Sennheisers, as well as others.

The Lemo adapters cost what they do because ALL Lemo connectors are expensive (unless they're cheap knock-offs -- and, yes, you do get what you pay for).

It still puzzles me why this is puzzling.