F900 genlock

Bartek

Hello,

Im prepping for a show that will use multiple F900. I am running a 744 and  a Boom Recorder (maiden voyage).

Now ive been doing some reading on ramps and www.cinematography.net on how to approach this and i have to say that my head hurts. It seams that no 2 people can agree on the basics. Sound engineers and Video engineers seem to have a completly different opinion on the matter.

Do the F900's handle external TC with dignity or is it not worth my trouble and would it be simpler to treat this a  a fiml shoot?

I thought of using lockit boxes,  but it seams that video engineers seem to think that a lockit box suppling free run tc to camera is just about the worst thing you can do.

Another option i have is to simply run my TC (744 as master) into an audio channel 2 on the F900's with channel one being the mono mix and forget about it!

I do understand that the best thing to do here is propably to do a combination and make the darn whole thing idiot proof.

744 as master clock

feed TC via hard line to the 2 cameras as external TC  (or record it on channel 2)

use a smart slate

I would greatly appreaciate any comments from y'all.

regards

Bartek.

Hey Bartek, I'm shooting with the f900 today, and I did a movie this summer that shot 2 cams, (900's), and we used the clockit boxs on the camera's in free run T.O.D. and I took a tc feed from the clockit box to my Deva 4 as well. We hit tc slate on every take and I fed the f900's a mono mix split to 2 trks on the camera's. We never had any issues, but then post signed off on this method before we shot. You are correct that it is impossible to get a straight answer from any and all in the video world and the post world that agree on the same technique. This system worked for me on the movie, and the DIT on todays shoot said this is what he would do, but you should include post in the  desicion and see what there system needs are. My t.c. stamp is 29.97 ndf for standard def editing system that post was using. Hey my head hurts just writing like this, hope it made sence and was of some help....

Old School

Hello,

Do the F900's handle external TC with dignity or is it not worth my trouble and would it be simpler to treat this a  a fiml shoot?

I thought of using lockit boxes,  but it seams that video engineers seem to think that a lockit box suppling free run tc to camera is just about the worst thing you can do.

Another option i have is to simply run my TC (744 as master) into an audio channel 2 on the F900's with channel one being the mono mix and forget about it!

I do understand that the best thing to do here is propably to do a combination and make the darn whole thing idiot proof.

744 as master clock

feed TC via hard line to the 2 cameras as external TC  (or record it on channel 2)

use a smart slate

I'm on a production that has up to 3 F900's at a time, and we do a combination...but treat it like a film shoot.  There was an early scare regarding external sync boxes and green flashes with the F900's, but that has subsided quite a bit.  The current models in use seem to handle external TC quite well, and I recommend using an Ambient Lockit or Denecke SBT on each of the cameras.  Jam those from your 744 in the mornings, cross jammed 29.97 to 23.98...hang them on the cameras and walk away.  The codes should all match up.  Make sure your camera assistants give a good pre-roll, 7 to 10 seconds. 

We use this, combined with Time Code slates, and a comtek feeding a scratch track on ch. 1 for each camera.  We telecine circled takes for our edit master, and the DVD-RAM's chase video just fine.  There is little, if no extra time in telecine added for the sound sync.  So don't let them tell you it cost extra!!!

Best of luck...

PWP

Hey Scott, thanks for Peter Grays cheat sheet, should come in handy with my memorey such as it is these days. I hear people call these jam boxs lockit and clockit, I always thought it was lockit, but the DIT yesterday said it was clockit, guess it really doesn't matter, just curious? Have a great day all, I will cause I'm working with that old school stuff in the camera, ah, whats it called?... Oh Yea, film.

Old School