Moving to CinemaSound

Hi Jeff,

I wandered into Cinema Sound with the intention of moving my registration to the new site. I was filling out the registration and came quickly to the section asking for my birthday. I supplied the month but declined to enter the day or year. Recent news reports recommend omitting a complete birthday from networking sites as this information can be used in identity thefts. Anyway, I am not able to progress in your registration program without supplying this information.

David Waelder

I have checked in to ALL of the social networking type sites, including the 4 hosted services that I have been testing, and every one of them require that new members enter full birthdate. There is no validation that you have entered the correct date (and of course if it is wrong all those "friends" will wish you a happy birthday when you turn 12 years old). There is no way around it. This site, this forum, is not hosted by any other network (it is not, of course, a social network site either) but has been created by my installation of SMF forum building software on my Lunarpages web hosting account. This forum does not require you to put your birthdate in. The only way I could put up a site like CinemaSound and have complete control would be for me to install social networking site building software package an build the site myself. I am not up to that task.

I am going to do a little more research on the potential risk of having one's birthdate out there in cyberspace, on facebook, MySpace, Google, etc. and in the hands of network companies like Ning, SocialGo, spruz.com, etc.

To David,

I wouldn't worry too much about the identity theft thing. You have been a member of the original CinemaSound on the Ning Network since 2007 and you had to put your birthdate there (though it is not displayed to the other members or the public). You are also a facebook member where you had to put your birthdate and it is in plain view of any of your friends when looking at your profile.

-  Jeff Wexler

You are also a facebook member where you had to put your birthdate and it is in plain view of any of your friends when looking at your profile.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I've altered my Facebook settings so that's no longer the case. Information I permit to be public gradually evolves as I become aware of the liabilities. Thirty years ago I would routinely engrave my social security number in equipment so I might recover items if they were stolen. I no longer do that because the harm that might come from making that information available exceeds the value of any single piece of gear. (I do continue to engrave my name in some gear.)

David

• 2 weeks later...

David - I never put my real birthday on social networking sites.  Its usually off by a few years and a few days.  (Same reason there are no identifiable pictures or the names of my kids on the internet.)  A while back I had a myspace page with some of my footage on it.  I pointed my mom to the page so she could see some of my work.  The first thing she said was "You're not an Aries."