Rycote INV 7 with Schoeps 41.. unimpressed

Derek H

After working with the Rycote Lyre microphone suspension system for a while, has anyone changed their opinion of or the ways they work with the system?

I was skeptical. It looked overly complicated, fragile and more difficult to maintain than rubber suspension mounts, including rubber bands. What I have found is that it is more quiet than any suspension I have used. In the end, that's all that really counts, right?

I now use the INV 6 and INV 7 as well as the Windjammer kit for Schoeps mic systems.

I've used the INV 6 and 7 with the Schoeps mics and have had great success. With the CMC641, I usually put it in the INV 7 with a foam windscreen for indoor work and an INV 6 with a BBG on the end for EXT work. No handling noise whatsoever. With my CMC441 Blue Dot, it's a bit more sensitive so I have to use my PSC Universal Mount for it. Handling a Schoeps definitely takes a steady hand/s.

Not using it with a Schoeps, but I use it with my 8040 and it works fine. A lot of people felt the 8040 is a lot more sensitive than the Schoeps to handling noise. I've also used it for short shotguns etc and it worked fine. I don't have anything like a GVC in my kit. Maybe you are experiencing forces on the mount that I have not encountered. I would say mine is black plastic.

I also switched all my mounts to the INV7.

My mk41 are oriented the same way as what Jeff had posted, except that my Neutrik is straight w/ the thinner mic cables. Works a lot better than my K-teks. I've also mounted my AT4073a, which is known to be one of the hottest and most sensitive microphone that I've worked with, in the INV7 and what a different from my KSSM! Must be the boom operation.

The KSSM is a shock mount, not a suspension mount. I think a better comparison would be with the K-GPS and the shorter version, the K-GPSS. Back in my sound effects recording days, I had no problems putting a Schoeps in a K-GPSS on a magic arm mounted to Ford GT with a professional driver taking turns at 70MPH on a track, and doing all kinds of skids and drifts.

The KSSM is a shock mount, not a suspension mount. I think a better comparison would be with the K-GPS and the shorter version, the K-GPSS. Back in my sound effects recording days, I had no problems putting a Schoeps in a K-GPSS on a magic arm mounted to Ford GT with a professional driver taking turns at 70MPH on a track, and doing all kinds of skids and drifts.

After taking a look again between the KGPS and the KSSM, I believe you're right in pointing out that the KSSM is more of a shockmount than an actual suspension system.

• 2 years later...

I use the InVision INV 7HG MKIII with both the CMIT and the CMC6/MK41 combo and have had no issues at all.

Link here http://www.rycote.com/products/shock-mounts-suspension/invision-broadcast-film/invision-inv-7hg-mkiii/

Marc

Yep I use the same one and I have no issues.

Keeping in mind I find the cmit a bit more forgiving vs the 641.

I use the Suspenders (which are the actual suspension element in the K-GPS units) in several different mounts, including the standard Rycote hoops.  For me, they work great with Schoeps. 

Hint, I use an O-ring on the mic body if it is prone to sliding in the Suspenders with aggressive movement.  I also use an O-ring to keep a foam windshield from coming off the mic too easily.

I use the Suspenders (which are the actual suspension element in the K-GPS units) in several different mounts, including the standard Rycote hoops.  For me, they work great with Schoeps. 

Hint, I use an O-ring on the mic body if it is prone to sliding in the Suspenders with aggressive movement.  I also use an O-ring to keep a foam windshield from coming off the mic too easily.

I use the schoeps windscreen and it doesn't seem to move, however the xlr has about a 16th of an inch give to it and i think the cable connecter might be moving around. I'm going to try putting a rubber grommet there and see if that helps. I suspect I am probably rehashing an old topic here. I'm not the first guy to try to use one of these.

I use the schoeps windscreen and it doesn't seem to move, however the xlr has about a 16th of an inch give to it and i think the cable connecter might be moving around. I'm going to try putting a rubber grommet there and see if that helps. I suspect I am probably rehashing an old topic here. I'm not the first guy to try to use one of these.

It sounds like the screws holding the Schoeps body and/or, the XLR connector, may need (careful) tightening.