To Care or Not to Care

larry long

(that guys voice) 

In a world, where you can blame the noise on the warehouse creaking, where people talk during the take,when the bell and light are foreign. The hair loss and ulcers are  for real...

( end that guys voice )

You complain, bring the bullhorn into the stage and try to lock it  up yourself. and then you sigh, and hope to use another name in the credits. (Mr Smithie )

My new thing...  the lock up is not my job, I'll record anything for money !

LL

Hey Larry Long... I hear you bro. I understand that somedays you eat the signal to noise ratio, and that somedays the s2n ratio eats you, or however the saying goes, that I can live with, it is reality. But man o man I hate unprofessional workers who don't respect the process. My only advice is ""don't take it home with you"". Have a tall cold one, or a short fat one, and take your better half out dancing, enjoy the short life we have. Of course I'm working another Saturday, so what do I know?

Old School

Cheers, the story of our lives.

Lockdown is one thing, but how many times have you shoot intimate scenes by a train track / airport / water fountain / sky diving range / construction site? There is unprofessional behaviour and shear stupidity. Ahhh the lives we chose.

B.

im on a tv drama at the moment that is seriously cutting corners on location selection - they seem to be of the mindset that a cheap location saves money. HA! WRONG!

Ive thus far, on this show, shot at:

A (working) train station

A (working) mall

A (working, saturday morning) underground mall parking lot

A (working, peak hour) 4 lane major road

A (working) construction yard.

Man, they just dont realise what this costs them - its not even me complaining always, yesterday an actress cut a take saying she couldnt even concentrate the background was so distracting!

I phoned the head honcho's and informed them that my work, and my working life, was suffering and I was faced with a choice: To care, break my back to get usable tracks despite their negligence with location, and have them say "it sounded ok last time" when they ultimately do it to me AGAIN AND AGAIN, OR, not care, point the mic in the right direction, record the cr@p they have as a location, let the production suffer, and keep my sanity.

Tough call, Im waiting to hear their decision. :) (Naturally, regardless, I DO care, as do we all. This is our weakness)

There's nothing like the lack of a good lockdown and poorly chosen locations to make a sound department feel insignificant.  It really drives the "us against the world" feeling home.  I feel like good PA's (and by extension, AD's) and good location departments can affect the quality of the production sound of a film as much as anything we do.

Tim