Sound Devices DVD-RAM Drive for Series 7 Recorders

redge

They've just announced that they are going to sell one, shipping to start next week: http://www.sounddevices.com/products/acc/xldvdram.htm

No external power required, DVD-RAM write speed of 5x, can be connected to a Windows or Mac computer via either Fire Wire or USB.

Doug,

Your building your own?  1394 and usb? bus powered?  Where'd you get the extra brain to wrap around that?

lol that reminds me of my Xwifes mema, 80 yrs old looking over my shoulder at the computer, in a real southern accent " Whoever invented that's got one more brain"

I'm happy Sound Devices finally got it together, now they have a really useful product line of recorders.

LL

I think it is a beautiful looking drive and well priced in my book. You can always find cheaper prices on raw drives and then maybe find an enclosure that you like, put it all together...  but when some company does it for you, and they're not trying to really make a lot on it, I think it is a good thing. Obviously, the best thing about the drive is that external DVD is now supported by the SD firmware --- this does truly make the 7 Series very nice, fully functional recorders. Good work!

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Guest tourtelot

Eric- 

Gotta factor in the cost of the external drive enclosure; pretty nice high-tech box.  The raw drive would look pretty silly on your cart all wired up with clip-leads and chewing gum.  Then. . . .you gotta factor in the cost of assembling the parts.  BTW, I am selling this exact drive for $200 shipped but I don't have the marketing pull to match SDs inventory or warrentee.  I'll guarentee not DOA but that's it.  Don't send it back 'cause you found one cheaper.  It WILL work when you get it; I will test drive every one.

Guest tourtelot

Just curious Jason.  Why would SD need v.2.1 for these drives?  They works fine on my 744T with v.2.0.  BTW, about 50mb/min transfer speed from the CF card with 3x DVD-RAM.  Haven't tried recording to the drive directly; not part of my working set-up.

Just curious Jason.  Why would SD need v.2.1 for these drives?  They works fine on my 744T with v.2.0.  BTW, about 50mb/min transfer speed from the CF card with 3x DVD-RAM.  Haven't tried recording to the drive directly; not part of my working set-up.

Hi Doug,

I dunno...I just read it in the PDF on the SD website.  Maybe it's a typo!?

-JP

Don't try to use version 2.0 with these drives to record in real time.  It will seem to work with no errors reported.  The files will all be there on the DVD-RAM, however when you try to play the files they will all be garbage. (except for 2 Track 16 Bit 44.1k).. With anything else is drops a byte or 2 here and there and causes block alignment errors when you try to play them back. I.E. Static and/or Distortion.

These Drives use the Prolific 1394 Bridge chip set which is not fully compatible with Version 2.0 firmware.  2.01 will correct this compatibility problem as well as add a couple of other chipsets to the list of compatible 1394 drives.  2.01 will fix some already discussed bugs as well, (like Take Re-set on power down) and a couple of others.

---Courtney

Guest tourtelot

Just tried to record four tracks of 48/24 to my DVD-RAM burner and all who said so are correect.  Gar-bagio.  So I will hope and assume that v.2.1 will make it posssible for you guys who want to do it to record directly to DVD-RAM on this cool little drive.

D.

FYI, SD released v2.03 yesterday so real-time mirroring should now be a reality.

I just bought a firewire/AC powered DVD RAM drive from LSC, also reasonably priced and also designed for this specific applicaiton. With their rock solid support (huge for me) I'd be hard pressed to consider other options. It too is using the Panasonic UJ845 drive although I don't know about the chipset yet. I should have it in-hand Friday. Mike Paul (LSC tech guy) endorses it and that works for me.

I also got a SD XL 1394 power conditioner as recommended by LSC for real-time recording, but I haven't heard any buzz about this little add-on unit yet. Anybody up on the specifics other than it filtering the expected hash?

EB