Zaxcom QRX100 - Questions For Glenn

RPSharman

I'd like to know from the QRX100 users how they are finding the range as compared to the 900S when used as a hop ie with whip anttenas? So, 1 stereo channel to camera.

Better? The same? Worse?

I have heard mixed things and am weighing up which reciever to buy. Any info much appreciated!

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to know from the QRX100 users how they are finding the range as compared to the 900S when used as a hop ie with whip anttenas? So, 1 stereo channel to camera.

Better? The same? Worse?

I have heard mixed things and am weighing up which reciever to buy. Any info much appreciated!

Tim,

I can't compare the QRX-100 to the 900s because I have never owned the 900s but I've been using the QRX-100 as a camera hop for around six months now and I haven't had any issues with range. The QRX has been giving me range equal to - if not better - than the pair of Lectro's that I was using . The performance has really been rock solid. I can't speak in numbers but when I researched what system to buy the QRX had better "sensitivity" - and there have been a few software updates since then to give the QRX a few more dB of sensitivity. Perhaps if Glenn is reading this he can fill us on the numbers.

In terms of features the QRX wins hands down. The QRX will allow you allow you to output 4 channels of audio - even if you only buy the two channel version now you can upgrade the software in the future if you find yourself needing four. The QRX will also do AES - also even if you don't need it now it can be quite helpful in the future, and it is good to know that it is already in the unit. And of course the QRX has the option board which will allow you to wirelessly send/receive time code as well as wirelessly receive return audio back to the your mixer. And, one of the most usefully features I have found on the QRX is the side mounted LED's which allows you to visually see that RF and audio is getting to the unit.

The only disadvantage with the QRX over the 900s is that the QRX can only be powered externally - there are no internal batteries. But this has not been an issue for me.

And the 900s and the two channel QRX sells for same price - so if you don't need internal batteries the QRX will give you more bang for your buck.

Hope this helps.

Jack

In terms of features the QRX wins hands down. The QRX will allow you allow you to output 4 channels of audio - even if you only buy the two channel version now you can upgrade the software in the future if you find yourself needing four.

It's an option?

I thought that the Rxs were all sold as 2 stereo channels units...?

I came on a reality show as the 2nd unit sound mixer a couple weeks ago and the primary sound mixer had a nice solution for his QRX100's on the camera.  He (Jeff Deeth in Minneapolis) simply had the QRX100 powered by a NPL7S battery.  We were working with Sony Z1U cameras so the receiver and battery had to be slipped in to a hip pouch rather than in a straddle bag.  But, I can easily see how you could put the QRX100 on one side of the pouch and the battery/cup on the other and you would be running for days without having to recharge the battery.  Yes, it is nice to get power from the camera for the receivers but Jeff's setup was a great work-around for the QRX100's. 

One thing I am wondering about with the QRX100... I know it can receive 2, 3 or even 4 channels of audio.  Could it be used with up to 4 mono 900LT transmitters?  Or, in order to get 4 channels do those have to be two stereo pairs coming from a couple 900AA with the stereo adapters, for example? 

One thing I am wondering about with the QRX100... I know it can receive 2, 3 or even 4 channels of audio.  Could it be used with up to 4 mono 900LT transmitters?  Or, in order to get 4 channels do those have to be two stereo pairs coming from a couple 900AA with the stereo adapters, for example?

QRX can receive 2 mono channels or 2 stereo channels (to make 4) or combinations.

-  Jeff Wexler

The QRX can only receive audio from either one or two transmitters. So four channel receive can only happen via two stereo transmitters.

It's an option?

I thought that the Rxs were all sold as 2 stereo channels units...?

The QRX is available as either a 2 channel receiver for $2000 or a 4 channel receiver for $2200. Everything in the unit is the same with the exception of the number of channels it receives. So if you purchase a two channel unit today and in the future you find that you need four channels - you can upgrade with a simple software change.

Could it be used with up to 4 mono 900LT transmitters?

My guess is that you can but it will be two mono channels, each with two mics blended (so not isolated).

For example, your Rx's scans give you 536.1 and 542.0, then if you tune two Txs at 536.1 and two others at 542.0 you'll get two mics on each channel, but not stereo... and not re-mixable so you'd have to be careful about both Tx's gain settings so it blends well from the start.

But, you know, sometimes, it may be usefull in exceptionnal situations ...

..then if you tune two Txs at 536.1 and two others at 542.0 you'll get two mics on each channel, but not stereo... and not re-mixable so you'd have to be careful about both Tx's gain settings so it blends well from the start.

This is not correct!  If you tune two transmitters to the same frequency they will JAM each other and you will get nothing but rf slop.  This is true for any wireless system.

This question keeps coming up of exactly how many channels the qrx can receive.. Think of the qrx as a DUAL  receiver, just like the lectro SR.  It can receive two frequency carriers simultaneously.  With most wireless systems this equates to two audio channels also.  However, zaxcom gear has the unique property of being able to embed two audio channels in a single frequency carrier.  Thus, 4 channels via two frequencies.  It cannot tune in more than two frequencies at once.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about any of that but that's how I understand it.

Can anyone report on how good the range is when using two transmitters, is it affected at all?

I have not used the QRX with two transmitters but there will be a decrease in range  - not sure exactly by how much.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about any of that but that's how I understand it.

That is correct

Derek is exactly correct. Two separate transmitters on two different frequencies can be received at the same time.

The QRX100 has been shipping for about 6 months. In that time we have worked out a few kinks in the design. Our electronic power switch has been modified as well as an RF circuit.

We are now shipping them as fast as we can make them. The Option board has been in beta test for the last month and we hope to begin shipping QRX100 with the Zaxnet option board this week.

Now that the option board is being released I thought I might outline a few of its features some might not be aware of.

The QRX option board will return a mix of 4 internal QRX100 channels of audio and an external one from a camera output back to the TRX900AA Stereo transmitter with IFB receiver or a separate ERX1 monitor receiver can be utilized.

The internal time code generator in the QRX100 will keep accurate code running with the power off for at least 6 hours. The unit will automatically sync itself through Zax-net.

When the QRX100 receiver frequencies are tuned, the 2 transmitters that are being received are automatically retuned to match the QRX100 through Zaxnet. Control range is about 200 ft.

The QRX100 can control transmitter audio gain through Zax-net.

The Range on the IFB is exceptional as the 2.4 Ghz is high up in the air on the camera and it does not interfere at all with the UHF wireless frequencies being used for the link to camera.

The QRX100 option board is a full Zaxnet compatible transmitter and can be used in place of a IFB100 to allow a Deva or Fusion to control multiple wireless transmitters, distribute time code and IFB audio.

I think this receiver with option board is a game changer and I hope all will find it a valuable asset.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

When used stand alone on a camera the dual mode does have less range as an antenna switching network is inserted in the signal path. The loss is about 4 dB and would affect the overall range by about 25%.

Overall the range of the QRX100 in single transmitter mode is the same as the RX900 ENG receiver.

When the QRX100 is used with our Zaxpaq and micplexer there is no decrease in range when in dual receive mode. The Micplexer makes up for the 4 dB loss in dual mode and in fact provides 8 dB of RF gain in its antenna distribution system.

Glenn

I have received my 1st bit of Zaxcom gear, the QRX100, two weeks ago. I did a test with the tech from Lemac in Sydney Australia before leaving, and we found a powering up issue with the unit.

It seems that it requires a battery charge of a minimum 14 volts to power up the unit, but once up and running it can run down to just over 12 volts. There was also a another unit that we tested with the same results.

This might be something to make aware to people who might have difficulties starting up the unit, as it runs on external power.

Hi Bronson,

Nice to bump into you the other day.

Does this issue still exist since the modification to the power control circuit? After having Lemac modify the power control circuit I haven't had any further issues with powering the QRX100 from the camera, though I haven't powered down the QRX100 and tried to power on again when the camera battery was low.

Cheers,

Jase

Hey Jason!

I have only powered up with fully charged batteries, holding around 16 volts. I have also switched off the unit and powered it back up and have had no problems.  I will do some tests this weeks with some batteries with lower charges and keep you posted.

I hope you have  a great trip, don't do anything I wouldn't do and keep warm! Might be a pleasant change from the heat wave Sydney has had over the last week.

The QRX100 option board is a full Zaxnet compatible transmitter and can be used in place of a IFB100 to allow a Deva or Fusion to control multiple wireless transmitters, distribute time code and IFB audio.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

will I be able to control gain on say 6 TRX with only one QRX100 hooked up to a Fusion using the ZaxNet?

With no Fusion in play the QRX can control the transmitters it is tuned to only right? (max 2 at the time)

Matthias

a test with the IFB100 - you can set ID's for each unit and control them individually. There is an option in the software to control all trx's at once.  I haven't tested the QIFB board for the QRX100 yet as it's not yet available...but soon?!!?  Why would the same software in the QRX limit you to only two? I'm interested.