Zaxcom QRX100 - Questions For Glenn

RPSharman

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these dinky cams... and it's just the beginning of it so the mounting plate makers better hide on to their hats for quite a ride ! The more it goes, the more they release different models year after year and all with different form factors.

Well, maybe the batt in the bum bag solution would be the ideal... if it were wireless  :oP

For our units, I purchased a Nebtek Sony mount and some 770's.  Changed the connector to a plug for the QRX and the 770 lasted 6.5 hours with the QIFB Board running.  Some Velcro and I have a batt plate.  Be forewarned, with the QIFB board in the QRX only fits in the mount one way. 

Nick, 

Does the Nebtek adapter you chose regulate voltage from 7.2 to 12?  If so have you noticed any switching noise in any of the QRX or IFB audio?

Also, this part from Lectro looks like a pretty solid hunk of aluminum. 

http://www.lectrosonics.com/417-BATTSLED/View-details.html?qh=YToxOntpOjA7czo4OiJiYXR0c2xlZCI7fQ%3D%3D

No voltage reg, but the QRX supposedly functions on low voltage.

The Nebtek we use does regulate.  In my tests I havn't heard anything.  We used the Nebtek instead of the #battsled because of the fact that it regulates and the QRX only had 12VDC written on it, not an actual voltage range.  So we figured we should give it straight 12VDC. Also I like that the Nebtek has a little battery meter on it.

The mount we used is the Zaxcom sled for the QRX100.  What I mean by it only fits in one way is the QIFB Antenna sticks out far enough that it hits the screw head for the plate so the QRX100 only fits in one orientation. So this is only an issue if you put in the QIFB board.  The way that is fits in points the lights towards the back of the camera, which is good, the problem being is that it makes the display upside down if you are trying to look at it from the side.

Hope this helps, I'll try and take some pictures later if people want

Nick

So here is our Nebtek Rig.  When you purchase it you will have to change the connector over from the one that comes on the unit to one that fits the Zaxcom Receiver.  We also doctored ours so the cable comes out of the bottom of the unit instead of the side for use with different receivers.  Also we recommend the NP770 cause we've found the reliability of the NP570 to be questionable at best.  Which made me rather sad cause I was totally hoping for the slim line of the 570.  Also my bench tech has informed me that unlike some other products, if the pins get ruined on this unit it's at $25 replacement piece instead of buying a new plate.

http://www.nebtek.com/proddetail.php?prod=LIBA

IMG_4746.jpg

So here is the orientation that works with the unit.

IMG_4745.jpg

Here is the unit, as you can see the QIFB antenna hits the screw before the unit is fully seated.

IMG_4744.jpg

Second verse, same as the first, but from a different angle

IMG_4743.jpg

Unit from the back, sorry about the flash.

IMG_4742.jpg

Unit from the side.

Please let me know if you guys have any more questions on this set up.  I know I still need to add Velcro to the set up.

Nick

I'm pretty sure this is possible, but is there some reason this would not work... or be a bad idea. It sounds like this is exactly what the QRX100 would be perfect for:

I'm doing a run+gun docu-reality show. right now I have a 302 in a bag and we are using a Zaxcom hop. Basically I am usually pretty close to the camera, and the producer is right with us, or in a follow car.

If the RX900S on the camera was replaced with a QRX100+QIFB, I would not have to carry an IFB transmitter in my bag. The producer would hear the IFB audio from the QRX100. My RX900 (with the ifb option) could also tune that QIFB transmission as confidence as well as camera's TC to the miniSD card recordings in the TRX900. Would that work if the camera is using record-run TC? (they only will do free-run TOD when the Fusion is being used).

There are some days I use my Fusion with lots of wireless and iso track recording, but most days are a really lightweight 2 x RX + boom feeding a 302 setup. The smaller and lighter the package, all the better.

If the RX900S on the camera was replaced with a QRX100 QIFB, I would not have to carry an IFB transmitter in my bag. The producer would hear the IFB audio from the QRX100.

Correct

camera's TC to the miniSD card recordings in the TRX900. Would that work if the camera is using record-run TC? (they only will do free-run TOD when the Fusion is being used).

Correct the QIFB option will also send time code from the camera even if it is record run. Just keep in mind that the QIFB will continue to send "free running" time code when the camera stops rolling - but will pick up code when the camera begins to roll again. I spoke to Zaxcom about this and this should be fixed in with a software upgrade soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help.

I've got a QRX100 which I'm setting up as a camera link. The camera will be in Rec Run timecode. I am receiving the timecode into the TRX via the IFB link from QRX.

Is it possible for the TRX to go into Record and Stop automatically as and when the camera rolls. At the moment the TRX is in Auto-Load mode but nothing happening and when it is in Auto-Jam it goes into continuous Record mode.

Also is there a way of having return audio and timecode output simultaneously on the 'STA100 Audio/tc output' or is it one or the other only? The reason I would like this is to feed timecode to my 788 to set that into Auto Record.

Thanks for your help.

David.

I need some help.

I've got a QRX100 which I'm setting up as a camera link. The camera will be in Rec Run timecode. I am receiving the timecode into the TRX via the IFB link from QRX.

Is it possible for the TRX to go into Record and Stop automatically as and when the camera rolls. At the moment the TRX is in Auto-Load mode but nothing happening and when it is in Auto-Jam it goes into continuous Record mode.

Also is there a way of having return audio and timecode output simultaneously on the 'STA100 Audio/TC output' or is it one or the other only? The reason I would like this is to feed timecode to my 788 to set that into Auto Record.

Thanks for your help.

David.

At this time there is no way for the TRX to automatically stop and start recording. What you can do is when you see the TC rolling on the TRX you can manually start and stop the TRX -this is what I am currently doing - not as convenient but it works. Could the auto start / stop feature be added in the future? Possibly.

As for getting both time code and audio out of the STA at the same time - sorry that is not possible. If you got an ERX receiver you would be able to have the audio come out of the ERX and TC out of the STA. Or if you got an ERXTC you could have TC and Audio from the same source. Plus the ERX is a better receiver than the receiver in the TRX. You will get better range because the ERX has four antenna vs the one in the TRX.   

Jack, what kind of range are you getting off your qifb for tc? What antennae? Ever experienced any audio distortion to the rf audio while running the qrx with qifb set to on but no antennae attached?

The range varies significantly with several factors but some where between 25-50feet, for ENG work it hasn't been an issue because I am usually close to the camera. With the ERX you can easily double or triple that.

The antenna in the TRX as well as the ERX are internal antennas. On the TRX the antenna is in the lower front of the unit, so if that is blocked - or buried in your bag - you will loose range.

I have not had any distortion with the qifb running - but you should never run the QRX without the 2.4 gig antenna attached because it can then get into your audio. If you are running the QRX with out the qifb antenna then you must shout the qifb function off in the menu.

Thanks dude. Your experience with this unit has been invaluable and your willingness to share it with this forum is very much appreciated. I had a weird issue with the unit I am demoing at the moment which sounded like distortion on camera, eventually sussed it as a phasing issue, possibly in the output cable wiring.

Thanks dude. Your experience with this unit has been invaluable and your willingness to share it with this forum is very much appreciated. I had a weird issue with the unit I am demoing at the moment which sounded like distortion on camera, eventually sussed it as a phasing issue, possibly in the output cable wiring.

One more thing if you are having an issue you can turn the qifb power down from 7 (the highest) to 6. You wouldn't loose that much range but take enough edge off the power.

With that said I've been running my qifb at 7 without any issues to date.

Also, remember to switch the P48 -OFF on the camera inputs.  That has caused me some weird "hash" noise in the past.

I was under the impression originally that the trx could output both tc and ifb audio but this is not the case. 

I second jack's assessment of the ifb reception performance of the trx with ifb option installed.. It's mediocre.  Can't really use it for full time confidence monitoring due to frequent drop outs at any kind of range past 50 feet.  However, when it's working the audio quality is better than any other ifb system I've used.  Also, I believe its very environment dependent.  For example outdoors you'll start to hear drop outs at the previously mentioned ranges, indoors is much more variable and effected by reflection.  Filmed in a medium sized grocery store recently and ifb coverage was pretty consistent throughout the whole store.  I attributed it to the brick walls and metal ceiling.  Hard to tell I guess. 

That said, I always felt that the primary function of the qrx/trx ifb link was to keep the trx in TC sync with the camera which it seems to do flawlessly, and that the audio return to the bag was just a bonus.  Which it is!

The auto-load (aka record run) scenario needs help though.  I think zaxcom is aware of this and hopefully it is fixed in the next firmware revision but currently getting the trx recording to chase the camera TC is not working correctly. 

Jack, it's good to hear that the erx reception performance fairs much better than the trx as I was starting to think that the system would not be acceptable to use as a traditional director ifb system.

Ps.. The qrx and ifb option board just got a minor firmware update.  Supposedly you can do the update with a trx but I was only able to successfully update the qrx, the ifb option would not take. (they are two separate softwares.)

Audio sounded distorted when monitoring off camera, despite levels looking fine. Was feeding line throughout the signal path, 48 turned off. Pretty sure I got a duff output cable with the unit causing a phasing issue on cam. I sussed it the next day when I had some time to think. On the day I solved the issue by slapping one of my SRa's on the camera!