New iPhone 4 (6/2010)

Lots of great news on the new iPhone 4 out there:

Engadget

Gizmodo

MacRumors

There's some amazing stuff in this phone, including the noise-cancelling microphone, a better transmitting/receiving antenna (the edge of the entire metal case), and much longer battery life (300 hours of standby). I was skeptical of the last phone, but I'm sold on this one. The 720P HD video quality looks very good for a device this small, and the camera is much improved, too.

And those who have the time and patience can watch Steve Jobs' full 1-hour presentation here:

Apple Streaming Quicktime

There's a hilarious moment when Jobs can't get a webpage to load because the WiFi is so slow... because the 500 people in the audience are all hogging the bandwidth. When he turns to an assistant to ask for help, somebody in the audience yells out "Verizon!"  Ain't that the truth...

--Marc W.

is this the right place for this thread??

It might not be the right place but the proper place could well be the already much despised "All Things Apple" section.

You know, I really don't care so much where posts wind up, but that's just me.

-  Jeff Wexler

Whenever my friends ask me, "hey, how's that iPhone working out?"  I always answer, "the 'i' part is pretty good, but the 'phone'... not so much."

AT&T sucks (especially in LA and San Francisco). And I've been a wireless customer for decades. (Whatever the hell they used to be called... things blur over time.)

I'm jazzed that they beefed up the antenna in the new iPhone. I've long suspected this was a problem with the phone -- they work too hard at making it look cool instead of performing well.

--Marc W.

I think a lot of phone manufacturers are guilty of putting presentation over performance. A few years ago many mobile phones used to have telescoping antennas, but you don't see them much now. I was thinking about the body of the iPhone 4 acting as the antenna, and how it isn't optimal. But, if Apple put a telescoping antenna on an iPhone they'd be scorned and laughed at. That will never happen. They've put fashion over function for a long time.

Anyhow... if the iPhone were available on Verizon, I would probably still stick with AT&T. Verizon's customer service is dreadful, and they always seem to find a way to charge more $$$ at every turn. I don't find AT&T's network to be that much different than others I've had in the past (Sprint & Verizon). But then again, I don't really spend that much time talking on the phone.

If AT&T was smart, they'd fix their problems first to avoid a mass exodus.  My experience with three different companies (T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T) is that AT&T customer service reps seem to make a greater effort to help when I call.

T-Mobile refused to match a service plan number of minutes, available to new users only, without adding 2 years to my contract.  I was already a "free agent", and they actually let me cancel my 2 phones on that customer service call rather than allow me to have the same number of minutes for the same cost as any other "new" customer.  MINUTES!  I wasn't asking to spend less money, just to get the same number of minutes other customers were getting for the same money.  CRAZY!

Verizon had a very weak attempt to keep me when I was considering an iPhone.  If they had made a better effort to keep me as a customer, I might still be on Verizon.

These companies just don't care, because for every customer that hates one of the big 4 and moves to another, there's another customer that hates that company and moves back.

Robert

I personally have a BB and hearing all the "f-AT&T" stories because of the iPhone makes me wonder if the 4 will be going to other carriers as well.

No question, the iPhone users draw a lot of bandwidth from AT&T, and it weighs down the network. I know a guy who has a Blackberry on AT&T, and it's as bad (or worse) as my iPhone in terms of dropped calls.

Apple has been mum on commenting as to whether they'll allow different versions of the phone to be used with other carriers. I think they can't really do anything until their 5-year exclusive contract with AT&T is up. But the head of Verizon has said that he'd love to have Apple's products available with their service, as stories like this explain.

--Marc W.