About to get a SD 744t

Elephant_Talk

Hi,

after considering some options I decided I'll get a SD 744t as my new recorder; I thought that before placing the order it would be good to ask the community for some advices regarding the accesories for this recorder that you think I should get for a start... I'm talking about batteries, TC cables, input cables, etc. Your help will be greatly appreciated as I don't want to miss important things.

Best regards,

Andres.

I would get a Sony NP-F970 or two and a Sony charger, if you are planning to do portable work and are not already invested in NP1 or similar batteries.  These have proven more reliable to me than off-brand batteries.

Also get input and output TA3 cables.  The SD time code cable is a good value, and worth getting it directly from the dealer with the machine.

I use Kingston Elite 133X flash cards, which have been 100% reliable and can usually be found for a good deal.

Enjoy your new machine.  It's wonderful.

Robert

Guest BobD

I would buy the outboard DVD ram burner from SD.  Real time burn, reasonably priced, and works great... Then you can write to CF, record to the HD, and burn your DVD ram at the same time.  Also buy the later version with the larger 160 Gb HD. Older versions had I believe 80 GB and 40 GB....

I would buy the outboard DVD ram burner from SD.  Real time burn, reasonably priced, and works great... Then you can write to CF, record to the HD, and burn your DVD ram at the same time.  Also buy the later version with the larger 160 Gb HD. Older versions had I believe 80 GB and 40 GB....

Ditto for the DVD-RAM burner.  I also recently replaced my small first-generation HD with a 320GB HD.  It's really easy, and full instructions (with pictures) are available on the Sound Devices website.

Robert

Congrats on your choice. I've really been enjoying the 788t-SSD for about a year.

Glad I got the CL-1 to place near the backup recorder's record switch, and ultimately, also got a CL-8 for off-cart work.

Having enough adapter (TA3F --> XLR3F) cables wound up being a good thing. The weird-at-first TA3M in's and out's on the 788t-SSD was a gender-bending mind-f**k  for a while. Got a bunch of TA3F --> XLR3M cables too, for feeding com systems, etc.

Got both variants of the time code cables, and the DE-15 breakout (XL-88), which gives me (among other things) an easy AES-out for CH 5/6.

Don't know where your signals will come from, but because I have an analog mixer, I had an 8-channel snake made, with 4xXLR3M and 4xTA3F on the 788 side.

An NP-1 cup for off-cart power, and an extra power cable (XLR4M --> lemo) pretty much rounds out the stuff I'm glad to have around.

Good luck/good sound!

- Jan

It's tough to say because everyone's needs are fairly similar but always slightly different.  I would take all of your equipment out and build it; that will be the best way to figure out what you will need.  Also, think about the jobs you will be using it for and make sure you have the right cables for that particular use.  I had a variety of power cables, time code cables, and input / output cables made to accommodate the recorder and the needs I have for it; for instance, I have a 4-pin hirose cable to 4-pin XLR cable for when I use the machine on the cart, and I have a 4-pin hirose to 4-pin hirose for when I use the machine in the bag, with an NP-1 battery.  But even though I have a bunch of possibilities, there are still other cables that I've never built because I've never needed them, at least not yet.

Tim

Also get input and output TA3 cables.  The SD time code cable is a good value, and worth getting it directly from the dealer with the machine.

Enjoy your new machine.  It's wonderful.

Robert

Concur especially with the TA3 cables.  Easy to overlook but are absolutely essential to have, even if you don't PLAN on using them. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!!!

Just wanted to let you know that I finally received my 744t today... very exited right now :)!!!!!

After your advices I ended up getting Input/Output Cables and TC In/Out Cables; as soon as the charger I want becomes available on BH I'll be getting extra batteries, a 16Gb CF card and of course the batteries charger ;)

And following Philip's advice I'm reading the whole manual for the first time... the machine is more versatile than I ever imagined!!!

Thank you all!!!!

Andres.