New iPhone 4

Jeff Wexler

I think the new iPhone 4 (and the new iOS that runs it) is pretty amazing. I really enjoyed watching the Apple video, particularly the shots of the manufacturing process, materials used, and the result. I know there are those that criticize Apple, and specifically Steve Jobs, for putting aesthetics, feel and form before function, but I really appreciate the attention to those details. I know I'm not alone, people would not be buying these things if they didn't also perform "insanely great"!

Watch the video on the Apple site (Courtney, be patient, Quicktime will load eventually)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the fact that they're specifically promising: "the new phone has better sound quality, better picture quality, and better reception than before." Everything else is just glitz.

But I have to admit, this FaceTime "picturephone"-type feature is pretty cool -- provided you have two iPhone 4's and a WiFi connection.

--Marc W.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with David -- definitely better sound with the iPhone 4, along with much "snappier" performance. But users are already complaining about the metal case-attached antenna:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/iphone-4-antenna-woes-contextualized-by-dude-in-the-know/

I thought about this a week ago and wondered if a person grounding out the metal chassis would somehow interfere with the reception (ala wireless units). Apparently this is true. People are already complaining about this, and the phone has only been out a day...

BTW, I encountered horrendous disorganization and overload with both the Apple Store and AT&T. I also chided the latter guys in the store, who had the audacity of using Dell laptops and Windows to process my order. (The horror!) 3 hours to buy a phone -- and I preordered it weeks ago. flamingmad.gif

--Marc W.

My reception is infinitely better on the 4 than it was on the 3G. But I did get the bumper for it.

It also took me three hours to get through the line, but once I was through the line, it was in and out in 5 minutes. The guys working there were all great.

no shit. after all, they have access to the money for development, the access to design tools, and everything else, and then they screw up on something so fundamental... what do they expect the user to do, use medical forceps to handle the phone?? this kind of bungle pisses me off. heh...

-vin

no shit. after all, they have access to the money for development, the access to design tools, and everything else, and then they screw up on something so fundamental... what do they expect the user to do, use medical forceps to handle the phone?? this kind of bungle pisses me off. heh...

-vin

Evidently this antenna problem is not unique to the iPhone. I am not defending Apple or Steve Jobs' somewhat flippant response, just pointing out that user interaction with the antenna is a well documented phenomenon.

"Several readers have pointed out that, as per Steve Jobs statement, other mobile phones also suffer from similar signal degradation while being held tightly. In fact, a support thread for Google's Nexus One described a very similar issue back in February:

If you go to Settings -> About Phone -> Status you will see a display for "Signal strength". When my phone is sitting on the desk, the signal stays consistent. However, the second I touch my phone, the signal drops up to as much as -20 dBm. I am able to replicate this test every single time, whether the signal is incredibly strong or weak.

Apple's official response is that this is "normal" for any mobile phone:

Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases.

Obviously, depending on your natural hand position while using the iPhone this may or may not be easily avoidable. Also it seems the issue may be more severe on the iPhone 4 with dropped calls. Besides a case, another simple solution that has been said to work is placing some sort of tape on the bottom portion of the iPhone 4's antenna which should prevent the antenna bridging when holding the phone."

Jeff, as i said, doesn't matter to me whether it is from apple or ms or anyone else. these companies are PLAYING with the enduser by USING them as guinea pigs who are PAYING to be so...

Yes, I agree with you there. Think of all the software that stays in a perpetual state of "BETA" even while taking all our hard earned money.

-  Jeff Wexler

The color or the material on the back of the new iPhone, black or white, whatever, I think has no affect on this issue. The antenna is part of the band surround (which provides the major structure for the phone) is the same part in both phones.

-  Jeff Wexler

On one of the message boards, a person who says he has extensive antenna knowledge, posted this piece regarding antenna performance and the iPhone 4:

"As an amateur radio operator holding the highest class license, I'm very happy that Apple put the antennas where they'll do the most good. I've now seen many comments confirming that a case, any case that keeps the skin from 'shorting' the antennas, will keep that from happening and you're left with better performance. What's more likely happening is that your hand is capacitively coupling with the antenna and de-tuning it. I understand that consumers just want magic, but the laws of physics will not be swayed. Between hidden antennas to appeal to consumers and better performing antennas that takes little to deal with, I'll gladly accept the better antenna location and use a case to prevent the capacitive coupling."

Can we now draw a parallel line to Apple using it's customers to be the guinea pigs and Zaxcom with all it's new incarnations?

Just FYI, I am a dedicated Zaxcom customer.

Rich, if the iphone screws up, you can walk up to the nearest phone booth and call. Or simply not call, or whatever. If it were SO critical for one to have cell phone connectivity, one would have to use two instruments and two service providers in the least. If a recorder fails to do what it is supposed to do, then you are in deep shit. I am NOT saying the ZAXCOM recorders fail to do what they are supposed to do. I am only wondering if the parallel you draw is inappropriate. This is like (imho) comparing an X-Acto knife with a microscopic-knife tool used for surgery... 

-vin