Rack Mount Sliding Shelves

Jan McL

Have my eye on a couple:

http://www.server-rack-online.com/shpo1918.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/209345-REG/Middle_Atlantic_SSL.html

The first is exceptionally robust, which appeals. Quite expensive.

The Middle Atlantic shelf, much less so, but affordable.

I want one to hold 788t and various small gear, another upon which I can write.

This looked interesting, but I don't think the dimensions will actually fit an SKB case -- I think it's just a velcro-enabled insert, and not a 'shelf' at all:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=287880&is=REG

What are you guys using?

Thanks!

- Jan

Jan,

I just got 3 of these:

http://starcase.com/1RU_rack_shelf_detail.htm

and yes, they DO fit in a standard SKB case.  The guy on the phone told me 18 inches - but the SKB case is 17 (front to rear rails).  I took my chances, and it worked out.

They can be a bit difficult to install - but once in, seem rather secure.  They don't "lock" closed or open, but I don't think I'm worried about them sliding around a lot.  Maybe someone who has used them for a while can attest to how they hold up over time.

Last, but not least, these will really only work if you have front and rear rack rails. 

-Greg-

I am familiar with all of these.

Server rack shelf is WAY too heavy and expensive

Mid-Atlantic is good choice but is still rather heavy (rails are steel and shelf is composite-laminate) and you would have to devise some sort of latch mechanism to keep it closed when on the move

SKB - Velcro Shelf is just that: a sliding shelf made of plastic with a big puffy velcro pillow that you can throw stuff onto and it will stick (providing you have companion velcro on the item of course). It fits all rackmounts and is designed to go into SKB rack cases (it is an SKB product). It has a latch, of sorts, and the sliders are adequate. I have one, never used, just sits in my shop since I really could not find a place for it on any of the carts I have built. I actually have had 2 --- the first one the latch broke off in my hand the first time I tried to pull the shelf out. SKB replaced it.

All the sliding shelves I have used I have built myself with raw aluminum and regular hardware store drawer sliders. The first carts I was able to use military grade Zero Manufacturing equipment sliders which were aluminum, high weight capacity but very light on their own. I have recycled these from cart to cart but they are finally showing their age. These sliders originally cost the government (our tax dollars) $320. per pair --- I bought 4 pairs in surplus for $30.00 per pound, raw aluminum.

The first one is not a locking shelf, and it will open on it's own, detent or not. 

The second also not locking, and will open very easily especially if the cart is bumped.  I've had one before. 

The third is an SKB locking sliding shelf that is all soft side velcro.  It works fine, but I feel it's a little flimsy at times.  I've had my DEVA attached to one for 2 years now.  It does fit in a rack.

The best and the only one I recommend for gear that needs to slide in and out, is the Middle Atlantic SS.  It's a lockable, both in and out, sliding shelf with a 50lbs. capacity.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/295002.html

I went through this one last year...I wanted something that would lock at the "in" and "out" positions, be sturdy enough to support a reasonable amount of gear, yet not be terribly heavy, and take up only one rack space.  I went through all of the various ready-made options (Middle Atlantic, SKB, Star Case, etc) but frustratingly couldn't find anything that would do what I wanted to without adding a lot of weight.  I finally settled on a light and cheap Raxxess sliding shelf that did *not* have locks, and solved that problem by slightly crimping the sliding wheel rails in each position to achieve a "stop" with a slight push and "go" with a slight pull (or vice versa) and using two teeny regular "L" brackets from the hardware store to provide a double-security in the "closed" position.  Not terribly elegant, but it was cheap, light, and works reasonably well.

The best and the only one I recommend for gear that needs to slide in and out, is the Middle Atlantic SS.  It's a lockable, both in and out, sliding shelf with a 50lbs. capacity.

I second that. This is what I use with my Mix-12, and it's a workhorse. The factory specs are wrong -- they imply the shelf weighs 50 pounds, and somehow that got put in all the spec sheets. It's actually only about 5 or 6 pounds, but is rated at holding 50 pounds. Very well-made, and the locking mechanism is perfect. They run about a hundred bucks mail-order.

If I had my druthers, though, I'd go with Jeff's approach and use aluminum -- maybe even with ventilation holes for heat and to make the shelf lighter. If it's only going to hold a 6-pound recorder or a 15-pound mixer, it doesn't have to be super heavy-duty, and every ounce counts.

--Marc W.

All good information, my friends. Thank you.

Decided to order one Star Case (for writing) and one Middle Atlantic SS, and add rear rack rails to the SKB's as necessary.

Can't imagine trying to do this kind of thing before the advent of the internet...

Between collegial input and shopping options, feel like I've a fighting chance to get it right the first or second time :)

- Jan

• 2 weeks later...

@Jeff Wexler - this video was recorded using Qik's live broadcast iPhone app. Significantly lower quality in both audio and video, but it automatically uploads both to Qik and YouTube (because I told it to).

So, here's what I ended up getting:

Ordered this one from starcase. Like it very much, especially since it can be either drawer or shelf. Requires rear rack rails for stability. No lock or detents, but feel I can invent something easily enough. Think with some thin foam, TX900's may be stored flat in it. @ $70 the price is right. @ 9 pounds, still wish it came in aluminum. The top of the 'drawer' configuration is open, so there's that.

• Middle Atlantic - Rack shelf (sliding) - 19

http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Atlantic-Rack-shelf-sliding/dp/B0002BG41Q

This one was indeed a bit tricky to install. Basically, you can't install it with less than 6U of room for diagonal insertion. Not quite sure I've yet got it installed correctly, but with the rear rack rails in place, it sure feels solid. Like that it's got a rear flange with holes for cable management. @ 15#, it's heavy. For what I'll be using it, I think the above sliding rack shelf / drawer would suffice, but need the fairly secure lock in/lock out feature, so this is the right choice.

Still working out details.

-- Jan

Jan,

It looks like you have got the Middle Atlantic sliding shelf rear mount installed correctly. But be sure to replace the wing nuts with a hex nuts and lock washers. You'll be able to get them tighter and the wing nuts will get loose after time riding in a 5 ton on bad roads. I found out the hard way.

Best regards,

Jim

Jan,

It looks like you have got the Middle Atlantic sliding shelf rear mount installed correctly. But be sure to replace the wing nuts with a hex nuts and lock washers. You'll be able to get them tighter and the wing nuts will get loose after time riding in a 5 ton on bad roads. I found out the hard way.

Best regards,

Jim

Straight up good advice, Jim. On the list :)

- Jan

• 9 months later...

I'm looking to get one of the Middle Atlantic SS shelves for my future Mix8 and misc stuff. I'll be racking it only from the front however, will this pose a problem with the design of the shelf?

Depends on which one. The Mid-Atlantic SS Shelf I'm using (the locking type) does require rackmounting on both sides, as does the SSL. I'm using the shelf with a Mix-12 and it's been rock-solid so far.

Middle Atlantic has all the instruction/installation guides on their website:

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac/storage/shelves1.htm#4

--Marc W.

Depends on which one. The Mid-Atlantic SS Shelf I'm using (the locking type) does require rackmounting on both sides, as does the SSL. I'm using the shelf with a Mix-12 and it's been rock-solid so far.

--Marc W.

Humm... I was hoping to install the SS in my PSC cart in the front rack rails (there are no back rack rails).  Guess I'm SOL on that then :(  I mean is there no way it could work without the back being secured you think?

Humm... I was hoping to install the SS in my PSC cart in the front rack rails (there are no back rack rails).  Guess I'm SOL on that then :(  I mean is there no way it could work without the back being secured you think?

The front mounting ears will begin to bend and the back of the shelf will end up lower. Providing some support underneath the side rails towards the back will work. I did something like that to support the back of a drawer on my PSC cart. The bolt that allows the side diagonal brace to hinge is a place to think about. I'll see if I can grab a snapshot of the mod I did later today.

Best regards,

Jim

Wound up adding rear rack rails to my setup, then the setup became moot. Sigh.

Bottom line, you will definitely need rear support for it to work properly.

Wish there were more sliding shelf options available :(

-- Jan

I'm looking to get one of the Middle Atlantic SS shelves for my future Mix8 and misc stuff.  I'll be racking it only from the front however, will this pose a problem with the design of the shelf?

The front mounting ears will begin to bend and the back of the shelf will end up lower. Providing some support underneath the side rails towards the back will work. I did something like that to support the back of a drawer on my PSC cart. The bolt that allows the side diagonal brace to hinge is a place to think about. I'll see if I can grab a snapshot of the mod I did later today.

Best regards,

Jim

I would appreciate the pic Jim.  I'm thinking of some bracket ideas now, since the location of where I want the slide is not too far from the bottom of the top shelf on the cart.  Maybe I can create some sort of brackets that attach to the bottom of that top shelf and extend down to fasten to the "rear" brackets of the slide shelf brackets...

I understand the "back of the drawer" you mentioned for support.  I noticed the same when I added drawers to mine, but since they were at the very bottom, I just shoved some pieces of wood between the bottom of the drawer mounts and bottom shelf to give that extra support since those where very heavy.  I just figured that there wouldn't be as much weight on the slide shelf to cause concern.

--Marc W.

Marc,  Is this heavy enough to support a mixer?  Or should I be looking at the 100lbs ones?

Thanks

-Richard

Richard,

My Cooper 106+1 lives on an SS. It's fine for most mixers that will fit it by length and width weight-wise. I think the 50 lb. capacity rating is very conservative.

Zack, I'll snap a couple of photos as soon as the storm lets up. My umbrella is out in the shop and it's raining hard enough for me to get soaked walking out there.

Best regards,

Jim

I would appreciate the pic Jim.  I'm thinking of some bracket ideas now, since the location of where I want the slide is not too far from the bottom of the top shelf on the cart.  Maybe I can create some sort of brackets that attach to the bottom of that top shelf and extend down to fasten to the "rear" brackets of the slide shelf brackets...

I understand the "back of the drawer" you mentioned for support.  I noticed the same when I added drawers to mine, but since they were at the very bottom, I just shoved some pieces of wood between the bottom of the drawer mounts and bottom shelf to give that extra support since those where very heavy.  I just figured that there wouldn't be as much weight on the slide shelf to cause concern.

Here you are, Zack.

Not complicated and you can vary the size angle you use, rotate it or use it to support a square tube etc.

Best regards,

Jim

post-1885-130815095141_thumb.jpg

post-1885-130815095146_thumb.jpg

Marc,  Is this heavy enough to support a mixer?  Or should I be looking at the 100lbs ones?

The shelf is "rated" at 50 pounds (whatever that means), but bear the size and depth in mind. It just barely fits the Mix-12 I have (under 10 pounds), with about 1/2" to spare on the sides. I bet it would fit a Cooper 208 or PSC Solice just fine. Something bigger like (say) an 01V96 would be dicey, because it needs more depth.

My only beef with the shelf is that it won't lock halfway out, which is where I seem to wind up running it some of the time (in cramped locations). I've had to just temporarily gaffer tape the rollers so it doesn't slide back in. It will lock fully extended, though.

--Marc W.

<snip>

My only beef with the shelf is that it won't lock halfway out, which is where I seem to wind up running it some of the time (in cramped locations). I've had to just temporarily gaffer tape the rollers so it doesn't slide back in. It will lock fully extended, though.

--Marc W.

Marc,

From my memory of the underside of the SS, creating an intermediate locking position should be pretty easy. Locking is via either an "L" or "U" shape that engages a crossbar in the frame at the fully opened or fully closed position. I'll take a look when I get into the shop today. If it's as I remember, cutting an additional slot at the right place should create the intermediate locking position.

Best regards,

Jim

Later that same day:

I reviewed Jan's earlier video about the SS and it's sorta the way I remember underneath, but making an intermediate locking position should be pretty easy.

I've wanted to do this, so I'll post some photos in the Do It Yourself section in a couple of days.

JG