New audio app from VTS....

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/60/vtsrecorder/3

New audio app, very simple, will (they say) be very cheap, but will look at outboard multi-input interfaces.  Most interesting to me is their claim that they can generate very accurate TC (2 fr in 24 hrs) on a Mac or PC w/o an external xtal or clock....a pretty good trick if it works, and worth the price for that alone.

Philip Perkins

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/60/vtsrecorder/3

New audio app, very simple, will (they say) be very cheap, but will look at outboard multi-input interfaces.  Most interesting to me is their claim that they can generate very accurate TC (2 fr in 24 hrs) on a Mac or PC w/o an external xtal or clock....a pretty good trick if it works, and worth the price for that alone.

Philip Perkins

I have never heard of Videotoolshed. I am downloading demo software now to see what it is all about. Is this an alternative to Boomrecorder possibly?

Seems like it might be, but it doesn't have any reporting features, which would definitely be an issue for usage on more than 2 tracks for me.  When I get time I'd like to verify their claim about the TC accuracy.  His idea for transmitting TC via Blutooth to a Canon 5D is a little loony--no way to verify that the TC isn't dropping out or is being recorded, and in any case all the editors I've been working with aren't interested in a TC solution for the 5D, they want an audio guide track (and are whining about having to post sync the master audio in any case).

Philip Perkins

Jeff, Videotoolshed is a very cool company that makes a few reasonably-priced plug-ins and add-ons for Final Cut Pro like

FCP auxTC reader, which allows editors to use audio timecode recorded on a spare audio channel on a digital camcorder. They're a Dutch company, and the developer hangs out on RAMPS and answers questions from time to time. Looks like a decent company.

--Marc W.

Jeff, Videotoolshed is a very cool company that makes a few reasonably-priced plug-ins and add-ons for Final Cut Pro like

FCP auxTC reader, which allows editors to use audio timecode recorded on a spare audio channel on a digital camcorder. They're a Dutch company, and the developer hangs out on RAMPS and answers questions from time to time. Looks like a decent company.

--Marc W.

a little off topic perhaps, but..

a director/editor friend of mine is raving about FCP auxTC reader. We're shooting a doc right now on a Sony EX1, audioreferencetrack on ch 1, timecode from 788t to ch 2 on camera.. He imports my poly BWF's in FCP (which doesn't have a function to read TC from an audiotrack like AVID) and FCPauxTC does the rest... It works like a charm.

I like the idea of having a small netbook with an application like VTS-recorder running as a backup recorder daisychained to my 788t when working of a cart. Boomrecorder is still MacOS only. I just downloaded the trial version, it looks promising.

Well, I hooked up my Mbox2Mini to my netbook and VTS doesn't recocnize the audio interface. But VTS does work with the onboard netbook microphone.. I wonder if VTS looks for a more serious audio interface than the MboxMini..

I bet this is a driver issue (it always is). Do you have all the latest Digi drivers installed for the netbook (Win XP I presume)?

If you can run a stripped-down version of Pro Tools LE on the netbook, then any program should theoretically be able to see the MBox.

For the record, I'm strictly a Mac guy when it comes to Pro Tools, and my brief exposure to Digi on Windows was an excursion into Total Bloody Hell.

--Marc W.

I bet this is a driver issue (it always is). Do you have all the latest Digi drivers installed for the netbook (Win XP I presume)?

If you can run a stripped-down version of Pro Tools LE on the netbook, then any program should theoretically be able to see the MBox.

For the record, I'm strictly a Mac guy when it comes to Pro Tools, and my brief exposure to Digi on Windows was an excursion into Total Bloody Hell.

--Marc W.

I downloaded the latest standalone-drivers, Pro Tools is not needed on the machine to use the MBox.. I suspect it is indeed a driver issue, but the mbox drivers do show up in Reaper just not in VTSrecorder.. I'll send Bauke, the founding father of videotoolshed, an email..

I downloaded the latest standalone-drivers, Pro Tools is not needed on the machine to use the MBox.

True, but: they give you Pro Tools LE free with the MBox. I figure, just install it and see what happens.

But it may not run with only 1GB of RAM on a netbook. I agree that the drivers alone should make it work.

--Marc W.