The Beatles discover Nagra tape delay

Bob Marts

Boy that takes me back. I'm from Birmingham which is about  two hours south of Liverpool. I was lucky enough to be in a band started by the Beatles in 1968 and enjoyed much of the mania associated with that epoch. It reminds me of the sad demises of John and George and the unequaled music that these four working class guys blessed the world with. Their innovations in sound recording spearheaded by Sir George Martin were way ahead of their time and I still spend countless hours each week driving to work listening to Beatles CDs.

I'll share one of many stories from that era if you can bear with me.

I was making and album in L.A. in '68 with a band called the Grapefruit. On a night off we found ourselves at Peter Tork's house (Monkees) in Laurel Canyon. I saw an acetate (45 rpm test pressing) lying around and Peter explained that it was a local band just starting out. After playing it I was so blown away by the song and the performance that I begged our manager to get a copy and for us to record it as a single when we got back to the U.K. He hummed and resisted and did nothing about it. About two months later it was released in the USA and to world wide success as "Proud Mary" by CCR. Needless to say I wanted to fire the bugger but he bounced back with the news that John Lennon had written a song for us and that we were going to record it as a single very shortly. Before that could happen the band fell out and disbanded as did happen requently in those days. I found out a little later that the song John had written for us was "Across the Universe" Boy were we sick about that!