Sound Devices 744T and Telecine

t.elder

I am doing a few days next week on a documentary that has been shooting on 35mm and syncing at the lab.  I haven't yet found out which lab they are using, but I am considering using the 744T or another lower-priced hard disk / compact flash recorder (not a DVD-RAM PD-6, in other words) and I am wondering what is the best route for this.  Is the InDAW the only way to do this?  I am assuming at this point that syncing the takes in a non-linear editing system is out of the question.

Tim

Guest tourtelot

If your 7-series has been hardware and software updtaed to v.2.03, you can simul-record to DVD-RAM or, if you are over-the-shoulder, transfer the INHDD or the CF to an external FW drive, either a DVD-RAM burner or an external HDD.  If you can power your 744T from a gel-cell or the AC wall-wart (12VDC) you can even use a bus-powered external drive/burner.

You can:

sync the takes manually in a non-linear editing system, sure (check that your editing system's software version is up to date and compatible with 744T's files);

use InDAW, Fostex DV-40 or Fostex DV-824 in a telecine seession;

and deliver either on a DVD-RAM simultaneously written during recording (see Doug's post) or deliver on DVD-R or CD-R made after the fact on your computer with disc burning software (format in either FAT32 or UDF/ISSO9660).  Only the former requires the hardware/firmware update.

Good luck!

I am doing a few days next week on a documentary that has been shooting on 35mm and syncing at the lab.  I haven't yet found out which lab they are using, but I am considering using the 744T or another lower-priced hard disk / compact flash recorder (not a DVD-RAM PD-6, in other words) and I am wondering what is the best route for this.  Is the InDAW the only way to do this?  I am assuming at this point that syncing the takes in a non-linear editing system is out of the question.

Tim

use InDAW, Fostex DV-40 or Fostex DV-824 in a telecine seession;

I had always thought that the DV-40 and the DV-824 used a proprietary format that disallowed the use of DVD-R, DVD-RAM, and CD-R's which were created using different systems.  Good to know.

thanks,

Tim

I had always thought that the DV-40 and the DV-824 used a proprietary format that disallowed the use of DVD-R, DVD-RAM, and CD-R's which were created using different systems.  Good to know.

Nope, they all work fine.  The original DV-40 firmware only reads CD-R and DVD-RAM, though.  Fostex later updated the firmware to allow use of DVD-R, but you should make sure the particular machine you use has been updated if you intend to use DVD-R format discs.

I learned after purchasing a big order of DVD+Rs that at least some DV-40s won't read them (DVD-Rs are fine).  The DV-824 reads both (newer hardware).  Anybody need some +Rs with my name and info preprinted on every single one?!  Oh well...

I've never heard of DVD+R as an admissible format for the Fostex machines...was it listed as such somewhere?

nvt

Not that I know of, I was simply learning by trial and error when it was difficult to get a clear answer (this was a while ago).  DVD-Rs are definitely the way to go, I just wanted to make the distinction so no one else would make the same foolish mistake I did.

Gotcha...yeah, hopefully the telecine machines will soon support everything.  $100 PC and Mac external optical drives seem to have an easy time accepting just about any existing format for playback, so it seems a bit silly that $5000-15000 optical drive-based controllers don't.