It's the Little Things...

Jan McL

Where did you get the cable hooks?

Jim Mansen

The Home Depot, plumbing section. 2" ABS pipe, fittings & glue. Its a DIY project. Pop-rivited to an aluminium plate.

A cap, nipple and a cleanout ( one end is threaded female ) w/a male screw in cap. A piece of aluminium is attached to

the screw in cap and acts as a hook.

~Kevin

Great for running cables through doorways and for keeping off-camera doors from banging shut.

They're made of soft dense foam.

Electrics really like them, too.

I spotted these at Lowes a couple of years ago and I keep several in my kit.

https://www.kidkusion.com/door_mouse_finger_guard.asp

Bob

Simple. Smart.

Good stuff.

On my list.

All the clever wee improvements add up.

:)

-- Jan

For rain gear, there's nothing I like better than an Inverness Cape:

306140369_dc8e447d07.jpg

Plenty of room under the cape for the bag (order a size or 2 larger than normal).

Handy access to pants pockets without breaching the rain defense.

cape.jpg

With an OR rain hat and some Neo boots, I never take an umbrella any more and don't care at all if it rains.

invernesscoatle0.jpg

-- Jan

A lady sound mixer who looks fabulous in the rain.  What could be better?

For rain gear, there's nothing I like better than an Inverness Cape:

306140369_dc8e447d07.jpg

Plenty of room under the cape for the bag (order a size or 2 larger than normal).

Handy access to pants pockets without breaching the rain defense.

cape.jpg

With an OR rain hat and some Neo boots, I never take an umbrella any more and don't care at all if it rains.

invernesscoatle0.jpg

-- Jan

Little boxes and organizers...

Gabi

I do the same thing for my lav parts with a Days-of-the-Week Pill box. I found I can squeeze a whole lot of hushmics into one section without fucking  up shape, which is convenient since i rip the damn things apart all the time.

I use the small ones for attaching my Zaxcom RX900S in its Petrol pouch with a bungee to camera's

Would love to see a pic of that if possible Peter...

I have seen someone do something similar, but wasn't paying attention enough to remember how it was mounted.

Cheers,

Jase

Would love to see a pic of that if possible Peter...

I have seen someone do something similar, but wasn't paying attention enough to remember how it was mounted.

Cheers,

Jase

No worries Jase, will get a pic up ASAP. Busy couple of days coming up though so probably mid week.

Cheers

Mega

Here's a pic of my Zaxcom RX900S in its Petrol pouch with bungee and S-Biners from Nite Ize. You can use any caribiner but the nice thing about the S-biner is that they are flat rather than round and they fit into the Petrol clip thingy without the fear of breaking it like when you use the round standard caribiner's. The S-biner is also easier to release the bungee.

The green and black boxes are simulating a camera body (sorry, I didn't have a DigiBeta or the like lying around the house for a proper photo!!)

The bungee goes around the camera body, under the handle and the whole things sits just behind the lens at the beginning of the camera body.

Cheers

Peter Mega

post-3356-130815087692_thumb.jpg

post-3356-130815087697_thumb.jpg

post-3356-130815087702_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After losing a couple of the tiny screws from the SM wire clips, I went to my favorite hardware store in Seattle (Tacoma Screw Products http://www.tacomascrew.com/ ) and fitted little thumb screws which have made things much easier when removing the clips - plus I don't need to have a tiny allen wrench to remove it.

Fantastic idea.  Do you know the model of thumb screw you used?  Product number?  Bye bye allen wrenches. 

thanks again for sharing!

john

Fantastic idea.  Do you know the model of thumb screw you used?  Product number?  Bye bye allen wrenches.

I wish I had part numbers for these, but I just walked up to the counter and showed the guy what I wanted then walked out with the new screws (minus a couple of dollars). Next time I go there, I'll bring them along and find out what the parts are.

I did end up filing a little bit off the threaded screw part to make them seat a little more flush - took less than a minute to do that.

Bob Marts

4856301145_64cf3196e8_d.jpg

http://www.funwithwind.com/store/ListCategoriesAndProducts2.asp?idCategory=200&idparent=171

Kite ends for treatment of ladies' heels. Idea from boom op Julie Stalker-Wilde.

I keep handy scissors (to cut 'em shorter), Joe's Sticky Stuff, and Topstick for those that don't quite fit tightly enough. If you get enough sizes, you can usually find one that fits very tight. No complaints, even from the stiletto crowd.

Ordered the 2nd product listed, #'s 07 - 14. That was a good starter bunch.

-- Jan

• 2 weeks later...

With a 10-piece minimum order of 18" x 24" yellow coreplast, I've accomplished some mic storage and drawer organizing tweaks:

4885120779_70592395cd_o_d.jpg

4885721756_d69b1b3811_o_d.jpg

4885780830_842ab71310_d.jpg

All the drawers have more room and will enjoy some reorganization, but...much needed.

Stuck the coreplast mic holders to the sides of the drawers with velcro.

-- Jan