It's the Little Things...

Jan McL

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to add a few extra USB outlets to my sound cart to charge phones and power a USB lamp I bought. I found this little gem on Amazon. It has 2 outlets and a 5V regulator in it. I just added a 4 pin XLR plug and it works. I have been testing it for 2 days on a DC power supply and seems to be good to go $14.99 on Amazon : 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEUDEFG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post-205-0-68839900-1416103880_thumb.png

Whitney,  The guys that make that unit are called Instapark.  They also make some other great things.. like solar panels..  In which I just bought!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZRYU9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just picked up this little item.. mini fold-out Solar panels with that same inverter.  Charges two phones at the same time, while outside in the sun light, no power needed! 

Me and the team ride the background like cowboys.

Seriously.

But we have a core crew that really gets it and are very good walking and using props quietly.

The non-union background change out every "day" so they have to be trained.

The karma bank portrait taken by our crew still pro David Russell in exchange for a pint of home-canned raspberry preserves.

Ultimately had to get production involved to make it happen, but happen it did.

I successfully bribe them with M&M's.

Brendan doesn't like to have his picture taken. So his presence (in his words) was a kind of expensive gift for him to offer. He's magnificent.

post-859-0-96801900-1416746385_thumb.jpg

Don't think I'd ever put a mic right where the working part of the zipper is likely to flop around, but glad there's another COS-11 mount option.

I love using a tiny spot of joes sticky stuff on zips :-)

Yep, sticky stuff is the way to go. Sometimes takes a little convincing a wardrobe girl ("no, nobody will notice that the zipper doesn't flop - look at my zipper here, it locks in place even without sticky stuff"). With some kinds of jacket, this is the only place that doesn't rustle, and is quick to mount too. I can often have the Sanken's head peek out just a little over the zipper for best sound.

• 2 weeks later...

I love wandering in dollar shops to see if something can be useful for our business. Today I found these pads, used for keys, phones, gps devices etc, to fix it on your dashboard. It's a sticky plastic flap, without any glue or something. The stuff is sticky from itself and the manufacturer claims it will stay always sticky. The iPhone I stuck on it, I had a hard time to get it off, needed both hands and some force. Surface doesn't need to be flat or shiny, it works on everything. I don't know if I would trust a rx on a camera with it, but I am gonna test it out in my bag to "glue receivers to the body of the mixer, instead of the Velcro I use now.

3a43f2b2eaacd480e8031fc94cd88583.jpg

I love wandering in dollar shops to see if something can be useful for our business. Today I found these pads, used for keys, phones, gps devices etc, to fix it on your dashboard. It's a sticky plastic flap, without any glue or something. The stuff is sticky from itself and the manufacturer claims it will stay always sticky. The iPhone I stuck on it, I had a hard time to get it off, needed both hands and some force. Surface doesn't need to be flat or shiny, it works on everything. I don't know if I would trust a rx on a camera with it, but I am gonna test it out in my bag to "glue receivers to the body of the mixer, instead of the Velcro I use now.

Oooo. Cool.

Do let us know...

HIJACK ALERT:

A little thing occurred to me while working with a new boom operator:

I wasn't getting useful air from him when I needed it to do my thing.

How to communicate what I have so naturally with Brendan O'Brien.

This:

Surfing.

We ride an acoustic wave, B and me.

Through acoustic environments.

Together: one wav from two compatible streams of zero's and one's.

A mathematical balance on a dance continuum.

After I uttered the above, the lad asked me what I wanted, replied I'd just told him.

I have recently stuck one of those things on my cart to hold my phone. Sticks well at first, but then the phone fell off during a take. Luckily, just after "cut" was uttered. Oddly, the pad still has a pretty good grip on the phone.

Caution advised

Oooo. Cool.

Do let us know...

HIJACK ALERT:

A little thing occurred to me while working with a new boom operator:

I wasn't getting useful air from him when I needed it to do my thing.

How to communicate what I have so naturally with Brendan O'Brien.

This:

Surfing.

We ride an acoustic wave, B and me.

Through acoustic environments.

Together: one wav from two compatible streams of zero's and one's.

A mathematical balance on a dance continuum.

After I uttered the above, the lad asked me what I wanted, replied I'd just told him.

Sorry for continuing this derailing...

The words we say and don't have to say on set. A very important little thing. In the ENG world that is what's more important than anything else. Some DPs you have to really talk to directly and have them explain their way of work. Others are just like we've always known each other. Weird. When I started out, I was angry sometimes with the fact that mixers had their boom ops set and always worked with them. Now with experience I know why. That hidden communication is so delicate and rare.

On air:

One scene I boomed were all close ups in a really early morning scene exterior. Real quiet. Using a cmit, I could get very close and I did. I thought it was cool that I could get such clean audio in an exterior scene. In the mixing stage I cursed myself for not having more air as the scene sounded like ADR. The scene was all about like friendship and the future, hopes and dreams. Would've sounded more right with just some more air. Lesson learned. The little things... Like an inch of air...