Handbrake

MakeiPhoneRingtone

SoundFlowerBed

SoundSource

Time Machine

Toast 8

Zaxconvert

WaveAgent

A lot of this stuff has to do with video, but comes sometimes in handy for work-related things.

Got Parallels running so I could use the software for the spectrum analyzer and SureThing Office Labler, for generating labels. Gives me more control than anything else I've found.

Good question.

-- Jan

I run a Mac...

Digital Performer+MachFive (I dabble in composing)

Final Cut Studio

WaveAgent

NeoOffice (Because it's more compatible with MS Office than MS Office is)

Filemaker (People pay me to do things with it, for some odd reason)

Audacity

Handbrake

VLC

Celtx

KisMac (For purely legitimate purposes...)

CyberDuck (FTP)

DiskWarrior

Something like a half gig of every single manual (recorders, cameras, etc.) I could get my hands on...So I can try and not look the fool...

MediaCalculator3  (and all that other stuff too).  Boom Recorder.  Sound Studio.  Alphabet Soup (play lots of audio files back at the same time!)

Philip Perkins

Took a quick look at your Alphabet Soup, Philip. Dang. Good stuff.

Imagine it could be used to easily cue the other side of the telephone conversation.

Bingo.

:)

Made my day, that. Thanks.

-- Jan

Took a quick look at your Alphabet Soup, Philip. Dang. Good stuff.

Imagine it could be used to easily cue the other side of the telephone conversation.

Bingo.

:)

Made my day, that. Thanks.

-- Jan

I use AS all the time as my "axe"--making sound pieces out of recordings live/real time (new CD coming out at the end of the summer).  An interesting feature of AS is that you can set it to record all the playbacks you do with it as a stereo mix.  It can also do simple edits (like top and tail or select area) of a sound and then save it to another keyboard key, and can use AU plug ins as well (Macs come with a great AU reverb, BTW).

Philip Perkins

MediaCalculator3  (and all that other stuff too).

Wow, that looks like a must-have! Thanks for the tip.

I would add my vote for Toast. That's saved me a few times in the event of disk-burning issues.

My favorite add-on program for Mac OSX is Default Folder X, which keeps track of recently-opened files, favorites, and a bunch of other stuff. Very handy to have.

I'm also a big fan of Rogue Amoeba's products, particularly Audio HiJack Pro (when you need to capture any sound file on the Mac).

And I run Lectro's LecNet Venue software on a little tiny Asus netbook, along with Courtney Goodin's BWF-Widget Pro. Both indispensable utilities.

--Marc W.

• 3 weeks later...