Thoughts on Mixing to Mono vs Mixing to Stereo

MT Groove

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for your responses.  Post would like me to continue having the host on channel one and everyone else on channel two.  I'll use the monitoring in mono suggestion as I'm sure it will help me get a better balance overall and in particular on those whom I'm mixing together on channel two.  Starting six days of shooting on Sunday so will let you know how it goes. 

Bernie

Thanks everyone for your responses.  Post would like me to continue having the host on channel one and everyone else on channel two.  I'll use the monitoring in mono suggestion as I'm sure it will help me get a better balance overall and in particular on those whom I'm mixing together on channel two.  Starting six days of shooting on Sunday so will let you know how it goes. 

Bernie

I go back and forth between monitoring L/R, one chan at a time and mono--they are all useful to me.  When I get split tracks like this in post I often "ride" one or both tracks up and down a bit as the conversation goes on, so knowing how they sound in isolation is a good thing too.

Philip Perkins

Interesting comments from all.  For me multi tracking and doing a mono mix is the best solution without any headaches.  I own a Cantar so doing it is a dream.  I always split all the tracks to iso's but deliver a Mono Mix on tracks one and two.  For me it's a no brainer.  They have my mix, so if they like it all the way thru, they can use it.  If they have to remix some of the dialogue for any reason, they can do so at their discretion.  It's that simple.  It helps me to work that way because I am never afraid of experimenting a little, and if I make a mistake, it's fixable.

2 cents

Brian Hanish