I heard your work while I was on vacation...

Sam Mallery

Last week my girl and I spent a week on Fire Island. It was an awesome time, chilling comfortably on the beach while the rest of New York was sweating it out in the heat wave. Our mobile phones barely got any signal at all on the island, so it was a week free of the usual distractions. Instead of texts, voice mails, emails, and Facebook alerts, we got to relax, swim, and read books.

At night in our rented room we did have satellite  TV, which received about 9 stations. One night we popped on the TV after making dinner, and the film 9 to 5 was just starting on the Fox movie channel. My girlfriend hadn't seen it before, so we watched the whole thing. I was aware that you did the mixing on that film as I watched, and it was fun to listen to your work and think of what challenges you may had faced while shooting the scenes. Even though I'd seen the film several times (including when it was in the theater), I couldn't get over how great the actors were. It just seemed like everyone involved was  kicking ass and having fun too.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share my little story. I wish I was still on vacation.

Be well,

Sam

Hey Sam, glad you your partner enjoyed "9 to 5". This was the 1st film I worked w Jeff n Don on. We started it in January of 1980. I had done a number of films as a boom op by this time, but I was the 3rd man on this one. "9 to 5" was the 'Big Time' on every level. A throw back to the old school studio film. The great Cast, The Director a major player in that time, and the Screenplay/original story was by a classmate of mine from USC. My recollection of the recording process was Don swinging a Schoeps 95 plus percent of the time. At times we had 2 booms or a plant or two. I don't remember any radio work. The experience was game changing for me. Jane Fonda was the driving force and a outstanding personality who engaged all and made this happen. Colin Higgins was a great director who loved film comedy. Lilly was wack but brilliant. Dolly was pure magic. More fun than one could imagine. 5 months of  looking forward to work. Jeff n Don made the sound of 9 to 5 what it was and showed me the way for which I have always been grateful. Fun film. I should watch it again. Been maybe 12 years since I last saw it. Watch all of Jeff n Dons work if you want a film n sound PHD.

CrewC