Sound Mixer Hell cartoon

Marc Wielage

After watching that hilarious iPhone vs. EVO "Xtranormal" CG cartoon this past week, I thought I'd try my hand at making one. The digital voices aren't great, and the animation ain't exactly Pixar, but it sorta/kinda works and gets the point across.

Anybody who's worked in the low-budget indie film business has dealt with this kind of situation before:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6807847/

"It has 4K!"

--Marc W.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching that hilarious iPhone vs. EVO "Xtranormal" CG cartoon this past week, I thought I'd try my hand at making one. The digital voices aren't great, and the animation ain't exactly Pixar, but it sorta/kinda works and gets the point across.

Anybody who's worked in the low-budget indie film business has dealt with this kind of situation before:

"It has 4K!"

--Marc W.

I'm at a loss for words as the sceanario is so accurate. Very nice job Marc.

Eric

"It has 4K!"

--Marc W.

Brilliant! I had no idea you were a "filmmaker" Marc! It's all in the writing, right? The best lines are "It has 4K" and "don't forget about the free Subway Tuna".

This should be required viewing for ANY Production folks..... Just so they know how dumb they sound and look....

It is spot on.....  Great job.... Thank you for visualizing and making our nightmare come to life...

It's a little strange that a "film" about low crew wages required no crew to make.

That's true! But I did at least get the Subway Tuna.

If I could figure out their wonky software, I could've actually had the little animated guys walk around and stuff, but that's beyond my primitive ape-like brain. I did at least figure out how to cut to a close-up and stuff like that. Pretty amazing for what it is, all Web 2.0 stuff.

--Marc W.

Good job on seeing the final cartoon Marc..

Thanks for inspiring the idea, Richard. I swear, I've run into a dozen of these types just in the last year. I don't mind them being clueless idiots, but when they're cheap and clueless idiots, it really annoys me...

BTW, I just talked to a DP friend of mine who told me, "hey! I think I've dealt with this guy in the cartoon! He wanted my Red camera and a lighting package plus me for $200 a day!" I told him that seemed even worse than $55 a day for sound!

--Marc W.

@Marc, and the funny thing is.. that the producer will tell you, "everyone is working on this for free because they believe in this project".  right.. all these people working here, are here because they don't really have a life.. they just want to be on the set so bad.. they don't really care about doing this for a living... right.

@rpsharman, I've seen this article link posted more then a few times lately.  Lets just hope that 'the feds' start coming down hard on people that take advatage of others like this.

-Richard

My favorite bit was "Did I mention it's a nude scene?"

I heard that exact line once, in almost the same context.  But it wasn't 11 actors... it was 9.

I was actually pitched that once.  Don't remember the situation, but I was told that there would be lots of hot girls around.  I told them I was married with children, so I wasn't looking to "hook up", but I'm sure they could find someone who would find that appealing.

I have never had an in-person interview like this video, but I have had a few phone calls which went something like it.

Robert