Sound Mixer Hell cartoon

Marc Wielage

My favorite bit was "Did I mention it's a nude scene?"

Yeah, I didn't like the speech-to-text interpretation of that, because the line is kind of buried.

Andy, glad to hear your students are watching it. Maybe it'll sink in to some of these nimrods that working professionals deserve to be paid. I have no problem with students working for free on each other's films, but the number of Craigslist/Mandy ads I see from students wanting pros to work for free... yikes...  shakehead.gif  BTW, I have no problem working for free for very close friends or for a worthy charity, maybe once or twice a year, but beyond that, uh-uh.

BTW, that "$2000 for a six-week shoot" figure was based on a real character that showed up on RAMPS a few years ago. (The Senator knows who it is.)

--Marc W.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome piece, Marc.

I've heard most of these, including one of my faves, "You'll get to go to Sundance with us."  One producer who tried to use that little gem during bargaining for the film, tried it again when he wanted to coerce me into dropping another gig cold in order to do sound for an interview of him.  I mentioned he had already "promised" that when I agreed to work on the film.  Stopped him cold -- the next words out of his mouth were unintelligible.  (NOTE:  I got paid for working on the film.  I always considered the "Sundance" nonsense to be just that.)

One professional production company even had the audacity to offer me a "free trip to Alaska" (for mixing during the trip).  That production company has since gone out of business.

Of course, my all-time-top-of-the-hit-parade is a producer who declares he "really gets" how important sound is to his film, then having proclaimed that, doesn't lift a finger, during pre-production or production, to work with the sound department.  I guess the rationale is that, having proclaimed the importance, followed by hiring a qualified sound professional, means that they can ignore sound and its needs for the entire duration of the production.

John B.

BTW, that "$2000 for a six-week shoot" figure was based on a real character that showed up on RAMPS a few years ago. (The Senator knows who it is.)

--Marc W.

I remember that.. And the guy kept saying the RED camera too!!!  Classic.. What happened to that?  Can anyone see what happened to that film?

aaawww.. I just feel like I just got ambushed again! 

I agreed to a base rate on a project due to what they told me.. I then said we'll need to discuss this more to get a better understanding of the project..  Well.. we never had that interview, nor did they respond to me asking about the details until today.. here's how this went.

Producer:  You still interested in that project..

Me: Yes, I never heard back from you.

Producer:  Ok, were still on then.

Me:  You never called me to work out details.  I still don't even know what camera your using. You never gave me a Deal Memo.

Producer:  Can you just make one up, and send it too me?

Me:  I guess so.. give me a few hours...

Producer:  Oh.. We want to go straight to camera, but can you give me a CD afterwards..

Me: Ok..

Producer:  Oh.. BTW.  It's at the beach all day.

Producer:  Oh, and we don't have a genny.

Producer:  Oh, and we don't really have any money for a boom op either now.

Producer:  Oh, and can you make sure bring 4 wireless mics..

Producer:  Oh, and we'll need at least 4 COMTEKS.

Producer:  Oh, and it's 12 hours..

Things just kept getting worse, and the whole time I kept thinking of that cartoon Marc..

-Richard

10,00 hits and rising...  Somebody's watching this silly-ass thing!

--Marc W.

A follow up is looming I hope....  With the crap we deal with, you can run with this a bit...  They can be used in film schools!!!!  A whole series!!!

Just finished an mow shot on the RED. And now being "friendly" with the dir/actor/writer thought it would be funny to pass this along to him. Then as I watched, so much of it was such a direct hit there is no way he would have thought it was a generic poke at the industry. So we'll let this one go.

Thanks for the laughs.

how about:

" We are looking for a sound mixer, a cinematographer, and a production assistant  to work on an ultra low budget movie. 

Day rates including equipment are  $ 100.00 a day. 

Filming from August 2nd to August 14th in La Canda, CA  and August 24th to August 31th in Ventura. 

Please only email if you can  bring your equipment for only $ 100.00. Sorry, it’s an ultra low  budget. 

We also provide: 1. Points; 2. Meals; 3.Accomodation in La  Canada (3 people sharing room); 4. Gasoline allowance to commute to the set in  Ventura City. Director/Producer would keep the same crew for the next three  projects lined up for next year; 5. We also provide one grip person to help as  gaffer and boom operator. 

Please provide the package of lights, HD  camera, and cinematographer for $ 100.00 

Please provide mixer, boom,  mics, and sound mixer person for $ 100.00 a day. 

Please only call if  you’re willing to accept $ 100 as day rates including equipment. 

We are  also hiring a Production Assistant for $100.00 a day to help with anything we  need (gaffer, boom operator, etc etc). You will also make point when the movie  is sold. 

PS.: We already have the set designed (4 locations) by a great  art director. All the actors have been already contracted. 

PS.: Please  only apply understanding that we cannot afford more than $ 100.0 a  day. 

PS.: Please specify (tell the truth) the equipment you have. Don't  say thinking that you be able to convince me to rent because out budget is very  low. 

PS.: Email us your reel...  "

I'm going for the PA position, so I can be Gaffer, and make the same money as DP, but not need to supply any equipment!  and the points...and then 3 more projects!!

how about:

" We are looking for a sound mixer, a cinematographer, and a production assistant  to work on an ultra low budget movie.

Day rates including equipment are  $ 100.00 a day.

Filming from August 2nd to August 14th in La Canda, CA  and August 24th to August 31th in Ventura.

Please only email if you can  bring your equipment for only $ 100.00. Sorry, it’s an ultra low  budget.

We also provide: 1. Points; 2. Meals; 3.Accomodation in La  Canada (3 people sharing room); 4. Gasoline allowance to commute to the set in  Ventura City. Director/Producer would keep the same crew for the next three  projects lined up for next year; 5. We also provide one grip person to help as  gaffer and boom operator.

Please provide the package of lights, HD  camera, and cinematographer for $ 100.00

Please provide mixer, boom,  mics, and sound mixer person for $ 100.00 a day.

Please only call if  you’re willing to accept $ 100 as day rates including equipment.

We are  also hiring a Production Assistant for $100.00 a day to help with anything we  need (gaffer, boom operator, etc etc). You will also make point when the movie  is sold.

PS.: We already have the set designed (4 locations) by a great  art director. All the actors have been already contracted.

PS.: Please  only apply understanding that we cannot afford more than $ 100.0 a  day.

PS.: Please specify (tell the truth) the equipment you have. Don't  say thinking that you be able to convince me to rent because out budget is very  low.

PS.: Email us your reel... "

I'm going for the PA position, so I can be Gaffer, and make the same money as DP, but not need to supply any equipment!  and the points...and then 3 more projects!!

I'm in too... but only if the points are redeemable for a candy bar....

Please keep the cartoons coming.... LOVE THEM!!!  Maybe the tide will turn if enough people see them...  Folks might actually regret saying the things on the cartoons if they become popular enough....  Nobody wants to sound like a cartoon...  Do they?  ;) 

I got this email tonight....

Hello All,I spotted your names on the APA's crew list and Zonie.  I'm putting a shout out to as many sound mixers as possible . . . and then will set up interviews with the "right" audio tech next week.We are looking for someone experienced enough to use a Lav and/or Boom mic with the Sony EX1 HD system - nothing real complicating.You will be working with a very experienced Cinematographer from LA who has done over 20 features and who is an all around great guy.We will be shooting interviews for a Documentary currently in production - dates you'll be needed:• August 1st - 4th, off and on.• Credit, small "token" salary or trade for art piece and food will be provided - also meeting the interviewee might be a highlight.Feel free to email me if you are interested and I'll get back to you ASAP with more details.Regards,

I responded and politely said I was already booked up in August...  And thanked her for the offer... I then embedded the famous cartoon for her to see... just for giggles.... I warned her it was NOT her, just thought it was funny...

You're a brave man, Bob.  :-)

BTW, now the RedUser people are discussing it...

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=631012#post631012

I saw that "$100 a day per crew member" ad that the Senator mentioned, and thought, "why do people assume they can shoot a project this cheap?" At some point, rates that low are just insulting.

Update: And now I see that writers are complaining that they get asked to work for free, too:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/blog-post/i-will-not-write-your-f-ing-script-19512

--Marc W.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, just hit 20,000 views today (2 weeks after I threw the cartoon together in a couple of hours). Not bad.

And now there's a "production house" version of the same idea...

I agree with Robert above: there's a point below which you just can't shoot a movie, unless you're willing to do all the work yourself. It's morally and ethically wrong to bludgeon professionals to work below a certain realistic price level. And that goes for all sectors of the business: caterers, drivers, gaffers, everybody.

--Marc W.

• 3 weeks later...

Very often they would say:

The director has a great personality.

Hahaha Is this a production or matchmaker.com

I am not going on a blind date.

And I do not mind if the directors beats people with a fishing pole.

Might get everything on time and within budget.

I got this email tonight....

Hello All,I spotted your names on the APA's crew list and Zonie.  I'm putting a shout out to as many sound mixers as possible . . . and then will set up interviews with the "right" audio tech next week.We are looking for someone experienced enough to use a Lav and/or Boom mic with the Sony EX1 HD system - nothing real complicating.You will be working with a very experienced Cinematographer from LA who has done over 20 features and who is an all around great guy.We will be shooting interviews for a Documentary currently in production - dates you'll be needed:• August 1st - 4th, off and on.• Credit, small "token" salary or trade for art piece and food will be provided - also meeting the interviewee might be a highlight.Feel free to email me if you are interested and I'll get back to you ASAP with more details.Regards,

I responded and politely said I was already booked up in August...  And thanked her for the offer... I then embedded the famous cartoon for her to see... just for giggles.... I warned her it was NOT her, just thought it was funny...

On the red user forum a guy said.

Schoeps is Acura and sennheiser is chevy.

No man.

Schoeps is Mercedes and sennheiser is AUDI

SOmehow he believes that sennheiser is shit.

You're a brave man, Bob.  :-)

BTW, now the RedUser people are discussing it...

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=631012#post631012

I saw that "$100 a day per crew member" ad that the Senator mentioned, and thought, "why do people assume they can shoot a project this cheap?" At some point, rates that low are just insulting.

Update: And now I see that writers are complaining that they get asked to work for free, too:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/blog-post/i-will-not-write-your-f-ing-script-19512

--Marc W.