POLL: How do you feel about "Roll" numbers with regards to non-linear recorders?

Darren

In ideal working conditions I'll make a note of the camera roll number on my sound report, also I use Compact Flash to record to which I dump to my PowerBook and DVD-R at the end of the day - I'll give the DVD-R a roll number too and note that on the sound report.

• 1 month later...

What about Sound Roll # as reference to production day?

That would work, except:

1) what if you use more than one roll a day? This is often the case for long days, where there's a break-off and 50% of the footage is rushed to the lab so that dailies can meet a specific schedule.

2) what if there's a second-unit crew working on the same show?

I can tell you from a post perspective we do use the sound roll numbers all the time, even when the "roll" per se is really a disc or a directory. This is particularly true for B-negative shots, where a production comes back weeks or months later and has us transfer a before-unused shot, and we have to hunt down the sound for that specific take. Finding the negative (at least for a film shoot) is often easier than locating the sound roll, especially if the latter is split between DATs, DVD-RAMs, and sound files.

--Marc W.

It's merely a reference # -- a symbol -- used to communicate information.  Should we get hung up on the fact that there's really nothing 'rolling' per se, or should we be content with the fact that there is already a system in place that works for most situations?

Maybe we should start saying, "acquiring" instead of, "sound speed"... since we're really no longer waiting for the recording mechanism to come up to speed.  Is MOS really still Minus Optical Stripe?  Should we change that too?

If there are two sound crews, everything should have a prefix: sound roll A1, A2... B1, B2... etc. -- there should never be an issue as to which 'roll' (or file) corresponds to which crew, camera, day, etc. -- if anything, it should be easier to discern -- with all the possibilities we have with metadata... editors still need to read sound reports.

...just thinking outloud -- for what it's worth