Cannon D5 and D7 Bloop Slate Wish List

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually usually hit the button several times "

I agree, but consider a fixed burst for each tap, say 1/2 second, or 3/4 second, or 1 full second for each press...

I could be wrong, but wouldn't that involve adding a timer circuit/chip process to our simple box?

More electronics, more development, more money.....  in this case, I think most people are saying less is more.

Great idea, BTW.  This would be a fantastic middle ground for the hurried 5D shooting style.  A DP I work with regularly just pushes the 5D button at will.  I plead with him for the editors' sake.  He says (into the camera mic while shooting...heh), "look up PluralEyes".  Yes, I say, but that's for FCP, what if the edit is done on Avid?

I think a bloop slate would be quick and dirty enough for him, while giving at least some help to post.

-Brian

I actually usually hit the button several times "

I agree, but consider a fixed burst for each tap, say 1/2 second, or 3/4 second, or 1 full second for each press...

Well, I would not buy a blooper that operated that way.  I want to decide how long each bloop is.  I had a blooper that worked the way you mention in the early '80s (Frezzolini) and didn't like using it at all.

Philip Perkins

I put mic connectors in the feed for my old and useful bloop light.  ( it is on the project board to add a tone generator) It was great for interviews etc. since I could hand it to the AC or even the DP for him to bloop slate without having to change his shot.

A DP I work with regularly just pushes the 5D button at will.  I plead with him for the editors' sake.  He says (into the camera mic while shooting...heh), "look up PluralEyes".

-Brian

That's a lazy way of saying "I don't care about post, I'm a creative genius just look at my framing...."

does he know how much his "creative" button pushing is costing in post?

Regards,

Grant.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was just wondering has anybody noticed sound being a little faster then picture on the 5d?

I always have to move the sound a few frames ahead.

There is some kind of latency in the video processing...

I had a director/dp say that to me two days ago.  I looked at him and told him we're going to slate so there is no question in post.  He didn't argue, although he did note that he was going to use PluralEyes, too.

What was funny was towards the end of the shoot the editor from LA called and said he would need a lot more money for syncing the sound.

The producer straight up asked if $250 would cover ME syncing it.

No problem.

Easiest job in the world.

You would notice if you were the Director/Producer/DP/Writer/Editor...... but you are just a soundman, what would you know about this?

My wish for Blooper slate... to have 4 channel ISO inputs on SDHC card.....