Cannon D5 and D7 Bloop Slate Wish List

" having two outputs despite the KISS mantra "

Y connection adapter, at the distant end! why have more connections to the device, to come loose, short, crackle, break, and get tangled...

may I repeat myself: KISS

depending on the gig, it could be a coiled cord, or even a wireless TX connected to this blooper...

Edit: I see great minds travel in the same gutter, Thanks Jim

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By modular I meant have the output/s not be just a cable coming out of the box but some kind of jack so that you can make whatever cable you want to output to whatever..  I like the idea of having two outputs despite the KISS mantra..  You never know how it might come in handy and I can't imagine 1 additional 1/8" jack complicates things too much.

Multipin connectors in common use with a small profile, as in the mating connector fits the end of a box properly sized to fit an adult hand:

7 pin XLR.

TA5 connector, although the pins are probably too tiny to deal with external power current issues and 6 pins is probably a minimum with multi output levels.

Neutricon 8 pins seem the perfect fit.

The venerable 7 pin Tuschel connector. Lord knows, I still have a ton!

Best regards,

Jim

I use my old blooper (bought from ASC many many years ago) all the time, and would love to have a better made version of the same thing.

What I like about my old bloop light:

--easily incrementable numbers (on the top surface where I can see them)

--3 digits, not 2 ( I often use more than 100 marks in a day, AND I want to be able to continue the sequence on subsequent days)

--yellow-green numbers

--internal slate mic w/  button next to the MARK button (on the top surface)

--level controls (by trim pots) for beep and slate mic

--hook/clip on back to hang it on the bag

--runs for a long time on 2 9v batteries

--XLR output (old right angle Switchcraft male) on the bottom surface (not the back or side)

--light weight

--separate "MARK" light from the numbers

--2 selectable beep freqs

--can drive a line level

Things I don't like about this old blooper:

--crappy construction (not a prob w/ PSC)

--the numbers aren't bright enough for direct sun use.  (But if they were the thing would need a brightness control to not blow out w/ modern HD cams on low light interiors)

Things I would NOT want in a new blooper:

--RED numbers

--separate external power (I don't want 2 cables going to the thing)

--a "captive" type output cable (in the way, too hard to repair)

--an output connector other than XLR 3M (I want to be able to easily connect to adapters for wireless, etc etc that I already have)

--an internal non-removeable rechargeable battery  (please not another thing I have to plug in at night)

--an esoteric battery of any kind--please, something we already use, like 9v or AA

--heavy construction (It's for bag use, right?)

--Larger size (the numbers on mine are a good size--there were larger blooprs back in the day, they were hard to mount and heavy and very in the way.  SMALL, please!)

--triggered momentary beep or numbers: (another folly from 1970's bloopers): I want the beep to keep beeping and the numbers to stay up as long as I push the button

--Timecode.  I don't need it for shoots like the ones I use the blooper on, and the editors don't either.  Please keep it simple.  Just take numbers--people who need TC can use the little Denecke .

--Audible beep (other than through the line).  To me, the whole point of this thing is that it is silent to the rest of the world....

I use my blooper all the time, and would love to have a replacement since it was very poorly made and I'm wearing it out.  Sign me up--this is an idea whose time has come again!  (But....not really expensive....please...)

Philip Perkins

post-15-130815087849_thumb.jpg

Maybe I am alone here, but you get what you pay for... if it is gear we need to depend on, inexpensive is NOT on my list, quality and craftsmanship are....  If this product costs some money for it to be built correctly and with some features that many have suggested, at the builders discretion of what is actually needed, so be the price.... They make good gear, normally fairly priced....  I would suspect this to be no different.....  I think we may agree, it aint going to be $99.....

Maybe two models are a better idea!!!  1 loaded with a few more features at a higher price point for those extra features, and another stripped down bare bones option....  Maybe at a more amicable price for the basics...  A choice is always nice...

Maybe I am alone here, but you get what you pay for... if it is gear we need to depend on, inexpensive is NOT on my list, quality and craftsmanship are....  If this product costs some money for it to be built correctly and with some features that many have suggested, at the builders discretion of what is actually needed, so be the price.... They make good gear, normally fairly priced....  I would suspect this to be no different.....  I think we may agree, it aint going to be $99.....

Maybe two models are a better idea!!!  1 loaded with a few more features at a higher price point for those extra features, and another stripped down bare bones option....  Maybe at a more amicable price for the basics...  A choice is always nice...

I actually think that PSC gear is usually very fairly priced....esp when you consider their service.  What is required to do this job would actually pretty simple for designers as accomplished as PSC.  The hardest part might be sourcing the display and whatever system is used to increment the numbers.  Even my old blooper has features that are rarely if ever used (internal mic, 2nd beep pitch), and could probably be left out in the interest of reliability.  The thing about slating devices is......the are GOING to be DROPPED, sooner or later, so ruggedness is a pretty high priority.

Philip Perkins

Doesn't matter what it cost. If the customer wants it, I'm renting it to them. Looks like a well built niche product to me. Still think a dumb or smart slate is the better work flow w a scratch track to camera in most cases.

CrewC

I do too, but when there is a shortage of hands or we really need to move fast using a device like this really speeds up getting rolling.  5D shoots around here end often being very guerrilla-esque and doco-like on location (if they aren't in fact a doc) so the blooper is getting used more and more. 

Philip Perkins

I did not mean to imply that PSC would be making a discount product, but price point will be a consideration, as at a good point, many of our good friends shooting their major motion pictures on dSLR's will buy them, and volume of sales benefits us all (even as we growl at all those wanna-bee's!).

offering 2 different models, that is two different products splitting up the production and sales, is inefficient, and tends to raise the pricing on both products (models) as there are more parts to source and inventory, more products for the dealers to stock, etc. etc.

I love how at this point everyone says "price is not important", and then when the product(s) come out, the tune changes...

and from what I've seen here, there could be 5+ different models.  Rugged construction, but light weight, compact, simple to operate, and rock solid reliability are givens, of course...

Rechargeable - non rechargeable

single out - multiple outs

audible - inaudible

red lite - green lite - yellow lite - blue lite - white lite

red digits - yellow digits - green digits

3 digits 2 digits - lite only - lite and separate digits (independent, too)

hook - clip - Velcro attachment

XLR  - Lemo - Neutricon - RCA - 1/4" - 1/8" - TA5 - Hirose -Tuchel

Slate mic - no mic

line outs - mic outs

fixed levels - level choices - continuously variable levels

independent levels  for slate + tone - single level for slate+tone

momentary triggering- continuous triggering

single freq - multi freq (selectable)

9v - dual 9v - AA - ext power

large numbers - smaller numbers

manual increment - auto increment

000-999 count - 0-9 + 00-99 separate counts

non-TC  TOD - TC (frame rates??)

sunshade - flat front

bottom connector - side connector rear connector

top controls - side controls -rear controls - remote controls

and of course: KISS

got all that, Ron ??

and we haven't even heard what the editors might add...

I'd like mine to -

make calls

have GPS

access the net

keep a diary

all contacts

text message

email

camera

alarm

......an app that hijacks the sleep / power off button of the iphone - when you press it it emits a tone for as long as it it's pressed, increments the large numbers - mute the phone and it just comes out of the headphone jack - might have to put it in airplane mode to avoid embarassment or just take the call it might be a better offer than the job I'm on! :)

You know, while I'm skeptical of a timecode app for the iPhone (unless it had an external generator), I bet somebody could make a reasonable Bloop slate on the iPhone. You figure, just an incrementing number and a very loud BEEP -- that's doable.

--Marc W.

But...an iPhone is heavy, expensive, has a mirror-glass front (reflections onto talent?  glare?)  causes audio interference if not in "airplane"mode, has no way of mounting to a rig, doesn't show what number it is displaying to the recordist (because it is facing the camera), and has no top or side-mounted button to trigger it....  I sometimes trigger-and-increment 125 times in a day....please...a dedicated box....(I'd never use the room-audible beep....)

Philip Perkins

I want the beep to keep beeping and the numbers to stay up as long as I push the button "

Why??

What if the flash is too short and gets lost in one of those HD rolling shutters....not set correctly.

I'd buy one of these units. Just think.. one hand balancing boom, 2nd hand on mixer, third hand on blooper light.

The last product I saw was Tascam Blooper, but I don't think is available anymore and was large in comparison.

http://www.tascam.com/details;9,41,89,16.html

What if the flash is too short and gets lost in one of those HD rolling shutters....not set correctly.

I'd buy one of these units. Just think.. one hand balancing boom, 2nd hand on mixer, third hand on blooper light.

The last product I saw was Tascam Blooper, but I don't think is available anymore and was large in comparison.

http://www.tascam.com/details;9,41,89,16.html

I want a LONG bloop--long enough to be seen in the frame, and a long tone burst is much easier to find and sync to in FCP than a short one.  I actually usually hit the button several times so the editor sees the pattern of "boxcars" in their audio track. 

Philip Perkins

How about a manner to mount it and/or activate it on the boom pole itself?  If you're ENG-style, and it's hooked onto your harness, you can advance the clip number and activate the "bloop" with a little controller on the pole.

I've never used or even seen a bloop slate, but I can see how this would be a handy tool, especially syncing non-TC cameras or non-TC prosumer recorders.

Robert

How about a manner to mount it and/or activate it on the boom pole itself?  If you're ENG-style, and it's hooked onto your harness, you can advance the clip number and activate the "bloop" with a little controller on the pole.

I've never used or even seen a bloop slate, but I can see how this would be a handy tool, especially syncing non-TC cameras or non-TC prosumer recorders.

Robert

Danger Will Robinson, Danger Will Robinson.......  Price raise.... Price raise.....  Danger.... Danger....  KISS it.... KISS it!!!!!  ;0