.BWF Files and Final Cut Pro 5.1.2

t.elder

I've been trying to find a definitive answer to the question of whether or not the latest version of Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 can accept polyrhythmic Broadcast Wave files.  I'm aware that there are some workarounds that have been created to address this problem but some of them cost money (not unreasonably) and all of them require an extra step.  So what I'm basically asking is, given the latest version of Final Cut Pro, should I record files as .WAV mono / poly or .BWF mono / poly?

Thanks for the help.

Tim Elder

Imagine the problems and benefits of polyrhythmic files!

I've heard this too about latest FCP version--but also think I heard that there are still some wrinkles.  If I know that the sync will be on a FCP system I still make the BWFs into QTs for them (BWF2XML or Sebsky), to avoid slowing them down.  If you go ahead and just deliver BWFs to them and it works please let us know.

Philip Perkins

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have loaded 8-track DEVA files into a Final Cut 5.1.2 project and it recognized the timecode and synced on the timeline without need for rendering.  The preset was a Blackmagic Design preset for uncompressed 1080p 4:2:2.  The project did develop bugs over a very short period of time, the most prominent being that a red-line appeared over the timeline indicating the need to render (in this case only the audio) even though no changes had been made requiring such a render.  I have not comprehensively tried other presets or track counts.

Thank you,

Robert Kennedy