Schoeps B5D - THE GREATEST PIECE OF EQUIPMENT EVER MADE.

RadoStefanov

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" It can't be snipped or modified to fit in any way? "

let us know...

When I first got a 50, I foolishly tried to get a B5D for it. It was just that it was soooo good for the MK41. But! The diameter is completely different. It doesn't fit at all....

Rycote BBG 25mm. But it is a somewhat heavier package in the end and cumbersome.

Edited by srab1138

Ah ha! I knew I saw something like that on the 50s in the behind the scenes of some of my favorite tv shows. It confused me since it looks kind of like a B5D.

Cinela...bet it's pricey.

Thanks, Justin.

Are you sure you don't means this:

http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/w20

The B5D looks nothing like the Leonard, not to me anyway.

The B5D cannot be "snipped". You would have to snip the entire internal plastic cage, there wrecking it and probably just rendering it useless. Plus, you'd destroy what's so good about this thing

Are you sure you don't means this:

http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/w20

The B5D looks nothing like the Leonard, not to me anyway.

The B5D cannot be "snipped". You would have to snip the entire internal plastic cage, there wrecking it and probably just rendering it useless. Plus, you'd destroy what's so good about this thing

The W20 is still not going to fit an MKH50.

Leonard is the only commercial product that looks even remotely close, and remember, this was in a BTS video...

The W20 is still not going to fit an MKH50.

Leonard is the only commercial product that looks even remotely close, and remember, this was in a BTS video...

Yes, exactly. I wasn't suggesting that the W20 is a viable alternative. Just meant to point out to Srab that it's unlikely he would have confused Leonard with a B5D

It wasn't just the bts, though the mike is always very small in the pic and dark. Did not look like a BBG at least.

There is some mention of using the B5D on a Sennheiser hyper but with moleskin, but I realized as soon as I tried putting it on that the idea must have to do with an 8050.

Didn't know about the Cinela one. Put the wrong two and two together.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got one of these and it's cool for indoors but I'm looking for something for higher wind.  Considering the basket with the double pop filter, the B20S.  Anyone use that outdoors in gusty conditions?  Or what about in a car with open windows?  The baby ball gag is way too big for the rigging I want to do in cars...

Or also the W20 or W20R1, but those look as large as the baby ball gag.

That case is awesome!  Gonna get one...

Dan Izen

P.S. you can check out these windscreens here:

http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/categories/bascet_screen

I pull a Rode Dead Kitty over my B5d.

Regards,

Ty Ford

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone

I own 2 MK 41 and as all of you,trying to find perfect interior windscreen for it.

After trying B5D,which btw is good,but not great,i decided to go my way.mostly because of its sensitivity to field work.

Considerations was not to color the sound of capsule and to provide enough movement protection at the same time. Ruggedness was also of great interest.

So,i took windscreens from my Shure SM81,model number A81G,which is hollow inside,plastic frame outside,and thin foam inside. That wasnt enough for fast boom swings,so i added one more layer,original Shure foam windscreen for SM81 over it,grey color. That was good enough,and as i own B5D,i can say that it is same performance. But...A81G is way more rugged than B5D. It has aluminium screw ring to tighten the mic,and plastic is more rugged,everything is way more tightly constructed than Schoeps.

One thing that must be done is plastic insert ring on A81G,but is easy to do if you have someone who is crafty-it must be thicker than original,diameter is not the same. But really,it is easy to be made from plastic. Also,cut out inside plastic from A81G,as they didnt have any function when you use it with Schoeps. Capsule falls in exact middle,just like with B5D.

That way,you get way more rugged B5D,and it cost way less,looks professional and you didnt need to store in a container.

That was and still is,my biggest complaint to B5D-it is so fragile,that you must purchase several of them to be sure that you have one on a shooting day. Also,it will never leave any scratch on a beautifull Schoeps Nextel body as a B5D WILL DO,after a while of use.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

I love the B5D on my CMC6 suspended by a Cinela Osix.. I also have a Cinela Leonard for it (the baby ball type) which I have barely used because the B5D is so good.. The B5D is definitely a fragile little thing and as such, it gets a bit of extra care and attention than other windshields in my kit..

I have cut a storage hole for it in the foam of my "good" microphones case peli.. Keeps it all pretty safe and sound in there.. 

IMG_5311.JPG

Speaking of B5D, I thought I'd upload a shot taken by my boomy James during a quick snack break (biscuit hanging out of my mouth and all) on a recent noir thing we were working on.. Couldn't resist..

13064625_10156737341370262_875130452628072144_o.jpg

IMG_5312.JPG

IMG_5310.JPG

A friend with a passion for stargazing turned me on to the plastic cases used to protect telescope oculars within the main case. These are quite economically available in a variety of sizes from companies that sell telescopes and accessories. As you may see from the photo, two pieces thread together and the coarse threads allow length adjustment. I no longer have the information about where I got mine but a quick Google for telescope accessories turned up this:

https://www.optcorp.com/opt-os-dp65080-65mm-x-80-120mm-eyepiece-case.html

DavidBoltCase600.jpg

On August 4, 2010 at 6:10 PM, RadoStefanov said:

I just received my Schoeps B5D Popscreen.

All I can say is WOOOOOOOOOOOOW

THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I WANT A TIME MACHINE.

I FEEL STUPID FOR LIVING WITHOUT IT FOR SO LONG.

Yeah, Scott Boland sent me one some years back and I was surprised that it actually did such a great job. Not blocking those back ports does make a difference.

When outside, I use a Rode Dead Kitty over the B5D.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/470272-REG/Rode_DEAD_KITTEN_Dead_Kitten_WindMuff_for.html/BI/8631/KBID/9745

Regards,

Ty Ford

On August 4, 2010 at 6:10 PM, RadoStefanov said: