Schoeps B5D - THE GREATEST PIECE OF EQUIPMENT EVER MADE.

RadoStefanov

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to the club!  Do your new friend a favor and go down to home depot with a $5 bill in hand and buy one of these bad boys:

72088507-9cda-4807-960a-3b3d27e893c4_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/72/72088507-9cda-4807-960a-3b3d27e893c4_300.jpg

With the change you can still get a hot dog on the way out!

Best storage container ever for this little guy.  It will get crushed eventually without something like this.

I just got one of these and it's cool for indoors but I'm looking for something for higher wind.  Considering the basket with the double pop filter, the B20S.  Anyone use that outdoors in gusty conditions?  Or what about in a car with open windows?  The baby ball gag is way too big for the rigging I want to do in cars...

Or also the W20 or W20R1, but those look as large as the baby ball gag.

That case is awesome!  Gonna get one...

Dan Izen

P.S. you can check out these windscreens here:

http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/categories/bascet_screen

I have not tried it outside, but I was swinging my mount as hard as I could and there was nothing.

UNF**CKINBELIEVABLE.

The rycote for mkh8000 may be a choice for outdoors.

I just got one of these and it's cool for indoors but I'm looking for something for higher wind.  Considering the basket with the double pop filter, the B20S.  Anyone use that outdoors in gusty conditions?  Or what about in a car with open windows?  The baby ball gag is way too big for the rigging I want to do in cars...

Or also the W20 or W20R1, but those look as large as the baby ball gag.

That case is awesome!  Gonna get one...

Dan Izen

P.S. you can check out these windscreens here:

http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/categories/bascet_screen

It was such a great piece of gear, I didn't even know I owned it... until I looked.... I'll stick with my non-pneumatic tires as the greatest piece of equipment ever made.... ;0

what is the name of that thing? Where do I find it in the store.

72088507-9cda-4807-960a-3b3d27e893c4_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/72/72088507-9cda-4807-960a-3b3d27e893c4_300.jpg

Best storage container ever for this little guy.  It will get crushed eventually without something like this.

Maybe it's because I'm a serial equipment abuser, but my Schoeps baskets (B5's) get creaky after a short while.  Not sure if the plastic basket gets loose or the glue holding the foam to the basket weakens, but after a while everytime the mic is cued you can hear the darn things creak.  I finally gave up after 6 of them going bad. 

My 2 cents (actually $300)

Billy Sarokin

The B5D is a teardrop shaped small windscreen with a hollow interior. Schoeps calls this the "Hollow Foam Teardrop". A larger, even more effective, design is the W5D, which is a hollow foam 5" round ball. Keep in mind that the hollow design is intended for directional microphones such as the Schoeps MK-41 capsule, and offers little, if any, advantage for omni microphones. Shure has a similar concept behind their dual density foam windscreens.

The "D" is for "Dorian", which is the recording company that asked Schoeps for a more effective windscreen for their outdoor recordings.

Also keep in mind that the Schoeps BD5 hollow tear drop windscreen is the only foam windscreen I am aware of that is adequate enough for the Sennheiser MKH-8040 and MKH-8050 microphones for interior boom pole use. When used with the Sennheisers, a layer of moleskin is needed to shim the smaller diameter mics to keep the windscreen tight.

Glen Trew

Just got the B5d from your store Glen.

I am sing it with mole skin on a MKH8040 and I am very happy.

Thanks for Pointing me in the MKH8040 direction.

The B5D is a teardrop shaped small windscreen with a hollow interior. Schoeps calls this the "Hollow Foam Teardrop". A larger, even more effective, design is the W5D, which is a hollow foam 5" round ball. Keep in mind that the hollow design is intended for directional microphones such as the Schoeps MK-41 capsule, and offers little, if any, advantage for omni microphones. Shure has a similar concept behind their dual density foam windscreens.

The "D" is for "Dorian", which is the recording company that asked Schoeps for a more effective windscreen for their outdoor recordings.

Also keep in mind that the Schoeps BD5 hollow tear drop windscreen is the only foam windscreen I am aware of that is adequate enough for the Sennheiser MKH-8040 and MKH-8050 microphones for interior boom pole use. When used with the Sennheisers, a layer of moleskin is needed to shim the smaller diameter mics to keep the windscreen tight.

Glen Trew

I have not tried it outside, but I was swinging my mount as hard as I could and there was nothing.

UNF**CKINBELIEVABLE.

The rycote for mkh8000 may be a choice for outdoors.

...I was swinging my mount as hard as I could and there was nothing... but wind-noise!.. I just cannot believe that swinging your pole like a kungfu-warrior has no ill-effects like air-movement penetrating your  B5d entering your mic, simple boomswings between two people using the B5d gave me more wind-noise than I like..

...UNF**CKINBELIEVABLE....agreed, I don't believe it.. don't get me wrong, I love the B5d, but if it acts as you describe, I could've used the bugger outside in the eye of a storm no?

If you read my post I am not talking about of the pole. I was swinging my Invision7 mount in my hand.

And seriously with the low cut at 80hz and the mole skin on the 8040 there was nothing I could hear.

...I was swinging my mount as hard as I could and there was nothing... but wind-noise!.. I just cannot believe that swinging your pole like a kungfu-warrior has no ill-effects like air-movement penetrating your  B5d entering your mic, simple boomswings between two people using the B5d gave me more wind-noise than I like..

...UNF**CKINBELIEVABLE....agreed, I don't believe it.. don't get me wrong, I love the B5d, but if it acts as you describe, I could've used the bugger outside in the eye of a storm no?

If you read my post I am not talking about of the pole. I was swinging my Invision7 mount in my hand.

And seriously with the low cut at 80hz and the mole skin on the 8040 there was nothing I could hear.

sorry, misread it. It's a big difference I guess, swinging a mount you hold in your hand or swinging the mount that's on a pole, anyways I'm glad you like it and goodluck with it, I use the B5d all the time.. just don't have that magic with it that you seem to have..

Diego

I don't know but maybe the moleskin has something to do with it.

MKH8040 has a smaller diameter then cmc6mk41 so there is one layer of moleskin between the mic and the b5d.

Are you using the invision mounts with your mic??

sorry, misread it. It's a big difference I guess, swinging a mount you hold in your hand or swinging the mount that's on a pole, anyways I'm glad you like it and goodluck with it, I use the B5d all the time.. just don't have that magic with it that you seem to have..

Diego

I don't know but maybe the moleskin has something to do with it.

MKH8040 has a smaller diameter then cmc6mk41 so there is one layer of moleskin between the mic and the b5d.

Are you using the invision mounts with your mic??

Yes, I use Invision mounts.They are excellent, have used it with great succes. I don't have to roll-off any lows on my mixer using the Invision mount. Since I have the invisions  my Schoeps Cut1 stays in the box, in general I have no more use for it, except when I have to use a steep lowcut.  I haven't had a chance to use the little sennheisers, I'm using the B5d on my CMC5mk41. The B5d sits pretty snug on this mic (like it should because it was intended to use on Schoeps mics)..

I'm not too excited about the Invision mounts for the Schoeps CCM series when using these mics on a pole. For stationary purposes these mini-mounts are fine.  I suspect the mics are not heavy enough to make optimal use of the lyre-system. I can't proof this scientifically however, it's just an observation.

Good luck!

Diego

The sennheisers are very, very light and also have " to my ears" bigger bottom end then the schoeps. That is why I use the lowcut on my 744t.

Yes, I use Invision mounts.They are excellent, have used it with great succes. I don't have to roll-off any lows on my mixer using the Invision mount. Since I have the invisions  my Schoeps Cut1 stays in the box, in general I have no more use for it, except when I have to use a steep lowcut.  I haven't had a chance to use the little sennheisers, I'm using the B5d on my CMC5mk41. The B5d sits pretty snug on this mic (like it should because it was intended to use on Schoeps mics)..

I'm not too excited about the Invision mounts for the Schoeps CCM series when using these mics on a pole. For stationary purposes these mini-mounts are fine.  I suspect the mics are not heavy enough to make optimal use of the lyre-system. I can't proof this scientifically however, it's just an observation.

Good luck!

Diego

• 3 years later...

what is the name of that thing? Where do I find it in the store.

72088507-9cda-4807-960a-3b3d27e893c4_300

I realize that this is several years old, but I finally found this at Home Depot's online catalog:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Clear-Can-2-in-x-4-in-Storage-Container-00382/100338091#product_description

There is also a slightly larger one here:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Clear-Can-2-in-x-4-in-Storage-Container-00382/100338091#product_description

Which size fits the B5D?  

Also, has anybody tried the Windcutter's Furry's for either the B5S or W5D:  http://thewindcutter.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_91&sort=pd.name&order=ASC

Thanks