What "user entry" form the PSM to the "Roll Number field in PT 7.2 Best serves

Ron Scelza

Dear All,

The "Standards" rollercoaster ride we have been on for years might be reaching critical mass for the needed "Key Locator Field". Today's Gotham Sound event will gain a lot more ears hopefully moving us in the right direction for manufactures acceptance of the standard Btext EBU -BWF field for automating these workflows.

What's next?

Currently -- Next for a lot of us might be practical application issues in a workflow using Protools 7.2...  with our file based recorders...

PT 7.2 uses the IXML  field "roll number?" as a Key Locator Field... 

For now.... What should be "user entered" into that field best automating the needs for EACH stage of these processes by the production sound mixer?  (As I understand it, characters are not allowed—"only numbers no spaces" limited field length.

Sincerely

Ron Scelza C.A.S.

"Take Vos"  --  found a good way to handel our present PT 7.2 Key locator field "Roll Number".  Just might automate all stages in a PT7.2 workflow for now.

Thanks to Take -- We  name  a name for this key locator field delima  --"The 2273 issue" ---

Gotham's On Line Interactive workflow event today. YIPES it's  already nine something .

Sincerely

Ron Scelza C.A.S.

Hello everyone,

So a couple of weeks ago I saw the video about the CAS meeting for non-linear workflows. Roll numbers caused a heated discussion.

The mixers don't have a use for roll numbers at all.

The archive people would like a roll number for each day, so they propose the date, which fits inside the 6 digit roll number, they don't care about multiple media to have the same roll number.

But the telecine house doesn't like this because they would like a roll number for each medium you provide; you can not attach an extra digit to the date because the roll can not be larger than 6 digits.

So I just had a tought. How about a 5 digit days-since-january-1st-2000. followed by a 1 digit media number for that day?

For example the roll number of the first media for today would be: 024810

The roll number for the first media for tomorrow would be: 024820

The second media for tomorrow would be: 024821

The limitation for this way of working, is that you can not get more than 10 media per day and it stops working in the year 2273. By then we would probably have moved on to other things.

How wrong am I with this?

Cheers,

Take