DIY Bloop Slate

jason porter

Hi all,

This is the working prototype for my homemade bloop slate.

It has 9 superbright LED's (very bright), a momentary push button that triggers the light AND sends a 400Hz tone to the mini-jack (line level-ish) that you see next to the trigger button.  It works well when feeding the Mix-in on my SD302.  It all runs on a 9V battery and I believe it draws about 100ma.

I hope to add either an LCD display/counter to show take# or just keep it  simple and add a layer of white dry erase board and handwrite take#'s.

Some other possible tweaks are- trimpots to adjust brightness and frequency and a small amp to drive long audio lines if necessary.

Let me know what you think and if you have any improvement ideas.

post-138-130815088542_thumb.jpg

post-138-130815088546_thumb.jpg

Great,

Any chance the mini jack could be a TA3 and exit on the bottom panel rather than the same panel as the pushbutton?

And I would glue a plastic protector around the push button though I'd be careful that the diameter and height didn't interfere too much with accessibility.

Will you be selling them?

thanks

Mick

I wanted to put the jack on the bottom, but it just wouldn't fit (9V battery takes up almost the whole width)  I might try a different project box to tweak the form factor.

I never though that I might accidentally push the button...good idea.  I may add a power switch instead.

Normally, I would be happy to whip one up and sell it, unfortunately (or, fortunately)  I am leaving for a 5 week job and I just don't think I will have the time.  When I get back, I would be happy to do it.

Thanks

-Jason

Great,

Any chance the mini jack could be a TA3 and exit on the bottom panel rather than the same panel as the pushbutton?

And I would glue a plastic protector around the push button though I'd be careful that the diameter and height didn't interfere too much with accessibility.

Will you be selling them?

thanks

Mick

Is it the same problem with a side exit jack?

I was thinking of the protector more to stop the push button being broken off than to stop accidental pushes?

I've managed without one for 15 years so I guess 5 weeks is not too long :)

thanks

I wanted to put the jack on the bottom, but it just wouldn't fit (9V battery takes up almost the whole width)  I might try a different project box to tweak the form factor.

I never though that I might accidentally push the button...good idea.  I may add a power switch instead.

Normally, I would be happy to whip one up and sell it, unfortunately (or, fortunately)  I am leaving for a 5 week job and I just don't think I will have the time.  When I get back, I would be happy to do it.

Thanks

-Jason

" Any chance the mini jack could be a TA3 and exit on the bottom panel rather than the same panel as the pushbutton? "

it is DIY, and when you DIY, you can do it any way you want to.

here are some ideas:

Rugged construction, but light weight, compact, simple to operate, and rock solid reliability are givens, of course...

Rechargeable - non rechargeable - external power

single out - multiple outs

audible (small speaker) - inaudible

red lite - green lite - yellow lite - blue lite - white lite

red digits - yellow digits - green digits

3 digits 2 digits - lite only - lite and separate digits (independent, too)

hook - clip - Velcro attachment

XLR  - Lemo - Neutricon - RCA - 1/4" - 1/8" - TA5 - Hirose -Tuchel

Slate mic - no mic

line outs - mic outs

fixed levels - level choices - continuously variable levels

independent levels  for slate + tone - single level for slate+tone

momentary triggering- continuous triggering

single freq - multi freq (selectable)

9v - dual 9v - AA - ext power

large numbers - smaller numbers

manual increment - auto increment

000-999 count - 0-9 + 00-99 separate counts

non-TC  TOD - TC (frame rates??)

sunshade - flat front

bottom connector - side connector rear connector

top controls - side controls -rear controls - remote controls

and of course: KISS

BRAVO!  Great job!  Exactly what is needed for 5D etc etc shoots and no more.  Great size, daylight viewable.  I could wish for numbers to mark the takes with, but it would make the device WAY more complex (and you can always put a piece of tape on your box that says what "scene" you are in).  This is the right device at the right time.  You will be swamped w/ soundies wanting you to make them one!

You don't need to drive long lines--put it on a cheap wireless!

Only 1 idea: make your mini have a locking collar (but not a deal breaker).  If you were selling these I'd buy one tomorrow.

phil p

Thanks for the compliment!

I am interested in making a bunch of these for sale.  If I get enough interest from the 5d/7d crowd, I will start manufacturing ASAP.

What would you pay for it?

-Jason

BRAVO!  Great job!  Exactly what is needed for 5D etc etc shoots and no more.  Great size, daylight viewable.  I could wish for numbers to mark the takes with, but it would make the device WAY more complex (and you can always put a piece of tape on your box that says what "scene" you are in).  This is the right device at the right time.  You will be swamped w/ soundies wanting you to make them one!

You don't need to drive long lines--put it on a cheap wireless!

Only 1 idea: make your mini have a locking collar (but not a deal breaker).  If you were selling these I'd buy one tomorrow.

phil p

Thanks for the compliment!

I am interested in making a bunch of these for sale.  If I get enough interest from the 5d/7d crowd, I will start manufacturing ASAP.

What would you pay for it?

-Jason

$200?  But don't make yourself work for min. wage.  If you really want to do this then come up with a good sequence for making a bunch of these (as opposed to making one), figure out your time and parts and aggro level, and see if that seems like something that is worth your time and effort.  (Remember, we're a cranky bunch, and if we buy something from you we'll be bugging you for fixes, upgrades, changes etc. etc.....!)  I'd consider selling through an audio dealer you like so you could avoid the phone calls and trips to UPS etc...

phil p

Ok, I have an idea. Let's have a contest where everyone suggests a unique name for your "bloop slate". Then we can vote on the best entry. The winning entry gets a free slate. Could be fun and it takes the strain off of you to come up with a name. You could post the contest as a poll for a specific period of time. It's too bad your last name isn't Betty, then it could be called "The Betty Bloop Slate". OTOH you have to be old enough to get the play on words.

Eric