DIY Bloop Slate

jason porter

Does Jason's bloop slate have more than just a light & tone? Perhaps incremental numbers and a slate mic?

Eric

This pic is what I ordered, per his description on p1 of the thread.  So far he's going KISS with it.  We'll see if he comes up w/a numeric version....someday.  Meanwhile....Ron Meyer might be up to something in this way too.

phil p

post-15-130815089164_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

How about, "Take n a Bloop!"  ?

Ok, I have an idea. Let's have a contest where everyone suggests a unique name for your "bloop slate". Then we can vote on the best entry. The winning entry gets a free slate. Could be fun and it takes the strain off of you to come up with a name. You could post the contest as a poll for a specific period of time. It's too bad your last name isn't Betty, then it could be called "The Betty Bloop Slate". OTOH you have to be old enough to get the play on words.

Eric

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This pic is what I ordered, per his description on p1 of the thread. So far he's going KISS with it. We'll see if he comes up w/a numeric version....someday. Meanwhile....Ron Meyer might be up to something in this way too. phil p

In the nagra bloop slate days, I used coat check numbers. There was a local stationnery supply house that had some printed on newsprint and the numbers were big and bold. There is some waste. I would buy two part coat checks and remove one number. They were bound on the top edge, so all I had to do was tear off one number to reveal the next.

ao

• 7 months later...

I was/am still looking at simple display counter circuits, the real problem is physical space (definitely need a bigger box!)

Ideally, the LED counter display WOULD be the light. Press the button, the take number lights up (instead of just LEDs)...maybe in a future version.

Did you ever finish this, or make more of these to sell? How is the one you made working after a couple of years of use?

• 3 months later...

What tone generator is in use? Saw somthing about 555? I have an old neon number bloop slate that was for the Nagra. All I need to do to make it modern is add a tone generator and change some wiring. Smaller would be best to fit inside original box.

thanks

Yes, it is a very simple 555 timer circuit. Shoot me a PM and I will send you the schematic ASAP (although I am on the road til Sunday)

What tone generator is in use? Saw somthing about 555? I have an old neon number bloop slate that was for the Nagra. All I need to do to make it modern is add a tone generator and change some wiring. Smaller would be best to fit inside original box.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, wandering off topic, but I just have to share this - it's too funny

From another thread on another forum...

Guy asks about where to get a bloop box to hang on his boom op and gets following reply:

"Maybe I just don't understand the question, but it does seem that you're hoping for a heck of a lot from your sound guy. Unless he's got mind reading abilities and/ or reflexes faster than Superman I can't see how's he's going to be able to do this live. From memory when this is done "live" it isn't - the entire feed is run through a time delay to allow someone the time to catch the blooper before it goes public."

:blink: