New Sound Devices USBPre 2 about to be released

" I do not want to use the 522 for recording because... "

then don't.

The recording features (including converting A to D) are a terrific bonus, and make an excellent backup to a 2 channel hop, or a transcription copy.  The 552, without the digital recording capability would still be a terrific value ...

I agree.

For a backup is great.

People have been asking for a ultra lite eng package.

That is way I mentioned the lack of recording option.

Well I hope the MIXPRE2 will have it.

But then when I think about it I do not want my services to be replaced because people can buy cheap mixpre2 with recording.

(:

I have seen too many DPs that own a mixpre.

Rado , input clip level  have nothing with a to d converter .

552 i don't really know  as i don't have one , but for my  45 years old ears  Sound devices preamp stage was never  the  greatest achievement , not that it doesn't say its not good for anything we call dialog.

Its good enough and usually it was cheaper or ridiculously cheaper then any other competition in the same level .

This particular model has luck of features  which  could made it good overall value product .

Since  the competitors around have much powerful products for same or less it is not at  least in  my opinion good value .

But some people buy Porsche  go to the grocery store  half mile down the road  so i predict they will buy that one as well .

People have been asking for a ultra lite eng package.

That is way I mentioned the lack of recording option.

Well I hope the MIXPRE2 will have it.

But then when I think about it I do not want my services to be replaced because people can buy cheap mixpre2 with recording.

(:

I have seen too many DPs that own a mixpre.

Yes, the new Mixpre2 that's coming out also has gain trim on each channel and a SPDIF out. Still runs on 2 AA batteries.

You will still need to show the PD's girlfriend exactly how to use it.