CS3e vs. CS2 comparison in the field

RPSharman

Hello,

I'm putting my MKH8040 up for sale because I just don't use it, and I though I might add a Sanken shotgun to the kit with the money from the sale.  There have been rave reviews here about the CS3e, which is where I am leaning, but with the CS2 having recently come into the world, I was hoping to see if someone here owns both or has used both in similar circumstances, and can voice their opinion about them in comparison to each other.  Specifically, I would like to know if the CS3e has substantially more reach than the CS2, or is it a marginal difference.  This is for outside work only.

I have experience with all the other usual shotgun suspects.

Thanks,

Robert

Wish I had access to a CS2, I am intrigued as there doesnt seem much of a gap between the CS1 and the CS3e. I have the latter and like it a lot. Only thing I dont like about the CS3e is it doesnt handle high SPL well, the CS2 can handle 10dB hotter levels. I can only imagine its reach is similar but its off axis rejection probably not as good as the CS3e. You probably have guessed these things already:)

Hello,

I'm putting my MKH8040 up for sale because I just don't use it, and I though I might add a Sanken shotgun to the kit with the money from the sale.  There have been rave reviews here about the CS3e, which is where I am leaning, but with the CS2 having recently come into the world, I was hoping to see if someone here owns both or has used both in similar circumstances, and can voice their opinion about them in comparison to each other.  Specifically, I would like to know if the CS3e has substantially more reach than the CS2, or is it a marginal difference.  This is for outside work only.

Hey Robert,

The CS-3e has excellent LF rejection and rear pattern rejection, and sometimes that can save the day (echoes, construction next door, etc).  As an all-purpose mic when you're not under location duress, I don't find its tone as pretty as other options, but that's subjective.  Even after revisions, it's fairly RF-sensitive.  Some have had success with the Neutrik EMC connectors as a way to combat this.  I have had mixed results with the EMCs, and always keep my 416 around Just In Case.  Hope that helps!

I use the cs3e daily on the verite show I'm currently working on.. and for that I love it.  Often in noisy locations and it helps to pull a voice out of the background.  Also does well in small reverberant spaces (think small rectangular rooms, with smooth brick walls) whereas other shotguns will get in to some strange phasey territory.  Important when you're switching locations often with no time to swap mics.

Regarding RF.. you should be aware that after a certain model number the RF performance was improved by Sanken.. older models can be modified to be up to the same spec quite easily.    ..for comparisons sake the RF performance of the cs3e is much better than my Schoeps cmc541.  For example the Schoeps will suck in RF buzz when near to my Zax transmitter (even with the RF trap) while the Sanken remains silent.  EMC plug or not.

Sorry no experience with the CS2 yet.

best,

D

• 3 weeks later...

Glen Trew has posted a mini-review of the CS-2 here

http://www.trewaudio.com/audioflow/2010/06/17/trew-reviews-sanken-cs-2/

... and it appears that Plus 24, the importer for Sanken in the US is having a "send us your old shotgun" $200 rebate offer until the end of the year. Yes, believe it or not, Plus 24 would actually credit you $200 for sending them your Schoeps CMIT if you purchase a CS-2!

http://www.trewaudio.com/PDF/sanken_cs_2_cash_back_terms.pdf

greg

• 7 months later...

Hey Robert,

The CS-3e has excellent LF rejection and rear pattern rejection, and sometimes that can save the day (echoes, construction next door, etc).  As an all-purpose mic when you're not under location duress, I don't find its tone as pretty as other options, but that's subjective.  Even after revisions, it's fairly RF-sensitive.  Some have had success with the Neutrik EMC connectors as a way to combat this.  I have had mixed results with the EMCs, and always keep my 416 around Just In Case.  Hope that helps!

Exactamente.

phil p