thoughts on a sanken CUB-01

Bob

When I had CUB-1s they were both gray (grey) in color and that seemed most useful and easiest to hide and conceal. When black would be better I used a black (acoustic) material to cover the mic. It doesn't matter for me now because I'm one of those who never really liked the CUB-1 in the first place.

i've been using cubs frequently lately, in a double decker bus, in a convertible mini cooper, and a convertible jaguar. with the bubblebee wind covers i got NO wind noise (even when the jag was going at 100+ mph)... checked the lavs on the actors and the cub's sounded better (negated seatbelt noise, actors could swivel their heads as much as they wanted, and less wind noise from flapping shirts). 

they've come in handy and have been great problem solvers on stressful car shoots.

It's been my experience that the CUB only works well on a hard surface, kind of like a boundary layer mic.  Mounting it in soft car interiors wasn't great, but mounting it on a wind shield that wasn't in the shot or a mile away worked.  Table tops without too much business in front of it, ie silverware or clanging glasses, was ok for wide shots.  I saw some guys mount the CUB way down on the car console, by the shift knob. Looked like a terrible spot so I nixed it without even listening to it. If you're going to do that you might as well put a 50 or schoeps there. 

The CUB is a limited use mic in my opinion...but when you need one, you need one.

When the CUB works then they're great - but if you don't plan properly -ouch.

I used them on recent series that had a lot of in car stuff - where it really needed to be set and forget. Sounded better than anything else could have used rotating thru multiple cars, moving from city to city every 10-12 days. Once we had the cam assists trained up to help out all ran really smoothly.

Been working on a court room series and thought of using the CUB on desk (for low visibility) where the advocate sat. Pulled the CUB out last minute and rigged a CS1 on desk stand knowing it would be in shot but given its a court room I could get away with it. The advocate sat down with a huge wad of notes and photo print outs that she referred to the whole time. Not ideal on the CS1 but a long way better than it would have been on the CUB.