Gotham seminar

Jeff Wexler

I watrched the Gotham seminar online, the whole thing, and I was struck by how many of the same themes were present as we had at the C.A.S. and Local 695 workflow seminars. The importance of COMMUNICATION is ever present topic in all of these seminars. Since we have moved into a world where there are so many choices, so many workflows, before there can even be ANY communication, all these parties involved must understand all these things. This is a daunting task for any of us as it is definitely a moving target, an evolving thing. I have even hear stories of workflows established at the beginning of a job, after all this "communication", being abandoned or modified, sometimes even without warning, right in the middle of am ongoing production!

The other thing that I thought was interesting was that we still do not know what metadata is necessary, who actually can view it and utilize it. There were even some inaccurate statements made by several participants regarding how additional tracks, beyond the so-called "mix" track, can be seen and utilized by picture and sound editorial.

There is still a lot to be discussed and it certainly is a good thing that there are several of these get togethers, these seminars, attempting to bring all the parties together.

I was also pleased to hear so many refer to the production sound people as "the most important people on the set" but the unfortunate reality is that the people in post (who actually do have some clout on a production) do not make this statement BEFORE a production begins, to the Director, the 1st AD, the Location Manager and so forth. So much of the time, on the set during production, the sound department is treated as the LEAST important people on the set.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I was also pleased to hear so many refer to the production sound people as "the most important people on the set" but the unfortunate reality is that the people in post (who actually do have some clout on a production) do not make this statement BEFORE a production begins, to the Director, the 1st AD, the Location Manager and so forth. So much of the time, on the set during production, the sound department is treated as the LEAST important people on the set.

yeah.  that felt like a bit of a** kissing to me.  but it was nice to hear someone say it.

-greg-

I think that Peter Schneider and company, the people at Posthouse and the people who made presentations should be given a vote of thanks for the effort that they put into this. The content and presentation were first rate, and the fact that they broadcast the seminar live over the internet demonstrates both forward thinking and a willingness to try fairly new technology. I was particularly impressed that Gotham had the foresight to have a member of its staff (Jim G.) spend his entire time, via chat, getting input from those who were watching over the web, both about the substance of the seminar and how it was coming across over the net. Putting this seminar together must have taken a great deal of time and commitment on the part of a lot of people. Great job.

Rory