Cart Power and Yamaha 01V96 Power ?

Guest Jeffrey Colon

Guest Jeffrey Colon

Hello all,

I have read numerous posts here and elswhere RE: cart power... It seems the PSC box is a good solution for an all DC rig.  For those of you using inverters, I am wondering how much current you are typically drawing...anyone solar charging in the 3rd world etc.?  Caveats regarding shore power?

I am also curious if there is anyone modding the Yamaha for Low voltage DC (cart) operation... or do you invert and go 110v AC ?

Any ideas or input much appreciated.

Jeff C.

>I am also curious if there is anyone modding the Yamaha for Low voltage DC (cart) operation... >or do you invert and go 110v AC ?

You might want to follow this thread. It mentions 01V96 mod. http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.movies.production.sound/browse_frm/thread/aabd731cd336626b?tvc=1

EB

Guest tourtelot

FWIW, I use a 300W pure sine inverter (DonRowe .com) to run my 01V96, my DV824 (works better in all respects on it's AC supply than it does on 12VDC) and an A/D/A converter.  Once I got the fan quiet (some job!), it does a nice job and seems very reliable.  That being said, my cart is now very AC reliant and can only record at full capacity for about one half hour on it's big 45aH battery.  I can power the whole thing down to zero very easily and the only machine that stays on is the 744T which I use as my time-code source.  About 1 minute to be ready to record from a complete power-down.  I feel like a wiley submarine captain. On sets these days, it hasn't reall been a problem but I have on the board, a design for a 210aH (!) battery cart that will live in the truck, on a dedicated charger for when I need a full day of being not-plugged-in.  What a frickin' tangled web we weave!!!

D.

Guest Jeffrey Colon

Thanks for the link regarding the DC mod... it does seem a bit pricey though.

I am not a big fan of watching my battery meter go dead... I generally carry enough alkalines to get me through a pinch on eng days...  I am considering a couple AGMs,inverter and a small genny... Not too much more than the cost of the DC mod...

A complicated web no doubt... still missing my tubes.

Jeff C.

the only machine that stays on is the 744T which I use as my time-code source. 

D, you can power that down too if you want -- the 744T holds code (and continues to output code) reliably for two hours with main power off.  There's an internal NiMH battery that keeps the clock ticking.

Alternative Audio in Burbank does a nice DC mod for the Yamahas, but, as you said, it is expensive.  However when you factor in the expense, hassle, noise and RF issues of big invertors, not to mention the extra DC hit they make on batteries then it starts to seem worth it.  In the past I had AA make a DC mod for a mixer, and true to form the mod cost more than the mixer did.  But it really allowed the mixer to work in a way more suited to

fast-moving location production w/ a small sound crew. 

Philip Perkins

Guest tourtelot

Thanks Noah.  I know that, but call it irrational paranoia that has me keep it running.  It will run all day on it's LiIon and as soon as the cart sees AC power, that battery will charge right up.  Unreasonable fear I know, but . . . .