"Entry Level" but Pro Equipment Package...advice kindly requested.

Dave

Hi all,

I've been researching the heck out of equipment choices for quite some time and have become familiar with most all of the quality equipment available. To date, I've been paying my dues and getting experience with mix and match rental gear. Essentially, I'm looking to put together a "pro quality" package that will be reliable for docs, TV lifestyle shows, and small independent films.

Here are the 2 packages I have been considering: 

http://www.trewaudio.ca/store/product.phpproductid=712&cat=66&page=1

http://www.trewaudio.ca/store/product.phpproductid=482&cat=66&page=1

The biggest debate I've been having is whether to go the distance with the SD442 versus the SD302. I've been getting advice to go with the SD302 and put the difference into a 2nd wireless. I'm also not sure that the Sennheiser MKH 60 is my mic of choice...perhaps the new Schoeps shotgun or a Sanken Cs-3e?

I want to be able to handle pro situations and be paid accordingly. I've been trying to crunch the "return on investment" numbers...any thought as to what my day rate (rental plus labour) should be for either of these equipment setups? I'm in the Toronto, Canada area.

Thanks for all your expert help...much appreciated.

Best regards,

Dave

Sorry...bad links. Here are the packages I'm looking at:

ENG Plus Package CA$8,515.00

http://www.trewaudio.ca/store/files/images/d_759.jpg

1. K-Tek K-152CC 12’ 8" carbon fiber coil cabled boompole

2. Lectrosonics UCR411A Portable Receiver and UM400 Transmitter

3. Sennheiser MKH60 short shotgun microphone

4. Electro-Voice RE-50B interview hand mic with foam windscreen

5. Tram TR-50 Lavalier microphone w/ battery power supply, wired for Lectrosonics

6. Rycote Softie shockmount w/ Softie wind cover

7. Sony MDR-7506 headphone

8. XLR coiled jumper cable for boom to mixer

9. 25ft XLR cable

10. Sound Devices 302

11. Break-away cable for mixer to camcorder

12. Right angle XLR receiver output cable

Field Production Plus Package CA$12,895.00

http://www.trewaudio.ca/store/files/images/d_739.jpg

1. K-Tek 152 Carbon Fiber coil cabled boompole

2. Micro-Cat furry windscreen

3. Sanken COS-11 Lavaliere microphone wired for Lectro transmitter

4. Comtek M-216P pocket transmitter and two PR-216 personal wireless receivers

5. Electro-Voice RE-50B interview hand mic with foam windscreen

6. Rycote Kit 4: Windshield, M-2 Suspension, and Wind-jammer

7. Lectrosonics UCR411A Portable Receiver and UM400 Transmitter

8. Remote Audio BDS (Battery Distribution System) with cables & NP-1 cup

9. Sennheiser MKH-60 Short Shotgun Microphone w/ windscreen

10.Sound Devices 442

11. Two 25ft XLR cables

12. XLR coiled jumper cable for boom to mixer

13. Remote Audio Adapt-a-Pak connector adapter kit

14. Sony MDR-7506 headphones

15. IDX JL2-Plus Multi-format NP-1 charger and power supply

16. Two IDX NPH50DX NiMH batteries

17. Break-away cable for mixer to camcorder

18. Pelican 1600 case

Cheers,

Dave

I may get killed for this, but here is my view on your question as it relates to documentaries and small independent films.

I started with a Schoeps 541 microphone that I bought, as it happens, from the owner of this site (thanks very much, Jeff, for setting me off in the right direction -I owe you plenty for that). Then I added a Sound Devices 702 recorder with time code. Since then, I have acquired a second Schoeps 541 microphone, a boom pole and two kinds of windscreens (a Schoeps hollow foam ball for each microphone and a single Rycote zeppelin). To that, I've added headphones, cable, three Sony batteries, and a Sony charger, to run the recorder, and a number of compact flash cards. The cost of these items, most of which are not included in the packages that you outline, should not be underestimated. Also, I want to say that the key to this gear is the microphones (have a look at a thread that Mr. Wexler started very early on in this site about what the key factors are for good sound).

I have complete control over the projects that I am working on, so I don't claim to know what demands you are seeing. What I do know is that there seem to be a lot of people working in video for whom this would actually be overkill. All I can say is that I do not think that there is a documentary or small independent film that cannot be made with this gear. Since you are from Toronto, let me add that this setup has proven more than adequate for a project that I am working on for the CBC. At the same time, I don't know anything about what is needed for reality shows.

Cheers

Guest Jeffrey Colon

All good stuff... fact of the matter, and anyone here will tell you... you can start with something to record to, a mic cable and a mic... chances are, you will never have enough equipment... I own at least 15 lavalier microphones. 7-cos11, 2-EMW, 2-B3, 6 millimics, a couple trams... and a handfull that came with the 6 lectros... I would like to try the DPA's next...

My Ex Wife discovered I was Queer... Queer for Gear, that is.

Good Luck,

Jeff C.

Guest tourtelot

Gotta say, I have to agree with Oleg and Jeff on this one.  Look for the ways to get your gear as cheaply as possible to start.  First off, do you need a big debt to worry about while you are trying to get your business started?  Ruined more than one business I would say.  And two, remember that resale of used sound equipment is pretty much a $.25 on the $1.00 proposition, maybe excepting classic mics.  If you decide that you need something else than what you buy, you WILL take a deep loss so maybe working with some things to help flesh-out your needs before investing in expensive gear that "doesn't quite do it."

And all that coming from one of the industry's biggest "gear sluts"<G>.

Hi gentlemen,

Thanks for taking the time to offer your expert advice.

So, to have a point of reference, I should look at the SD302, 2 Lectro wireless systems, 2 varied mics (Schoeps and Sanken), 2 Countryman Lavs, Boom, wind protection, etc. I should buy used/demo peripherals (power, batteries, cases,cables etc.) I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks very much and all the best.

Regards,

Dave