Sanken COS 11 cable noise

Rasmus Wedin

Hi!

Since I'm still pretty new in the business, I just recently started buying my own gear. One of the first things I bought was a Sanken COS 11 lav, since other mixers seem to like them so much. And, yes, it does sound realy good, but I'm just getting so much cable noise, I find it realy hard to hide it. I can get the area around the mic quite, but the cable is just killing me, even if I loop it. I used a DPA 4061 today on a shoot and found it to have much less cable noise, and wasn't a problem concealing at all. I'm starting to think I got a faulty COS 11, might this be the case? Anybody got a similar experience?

What level is your gain set at?  On my lectros I use a very low gain level and never have issues with any cable noise, but I could see it being an issue if your gain is set real high, like past 12 o clock on a lectro.

I realy don't see how that could be the problem. I set the gain so that the talents voice is at a desired level and relative to that there is alot of cable noise. Pulling down the level would also pull down the talents voice.

Or do you meen noise from simply pulling the gain up too high, like hisses and hums? I'm not talking about that, I'm having problem with noise of things (like cloaths) touching the mic cable.

Most likely your hearing noisy wardrobe. I had talent today with a cos-11 in her clevage in a hush lav. Sounded fine she changed shirts and fabric noise. I use cos-11 all the time with gain at 10 o clock with no issues

No I'm pretty sure it's not since I tested it outside wardrobe too. It's like this: if I hold the DPA 4061 with two fingers, just beneath the mic, to isolate it, and rub the cable below, there is bearly any noise. With my COS 11 I have to hold it with my entire hand and I still hear cable noise when I rub it. And this is at equivilant gains. The cable itself is more or less as sensetive as the mic body is to rubbing against cloth. Thats why I have such a hard time hiding it.

Just did  a show for Fox on ABC The Gates (crap)

The police uniforms were  97% cotton, 3% spandex wow noisy as shit , you could hear it on the boom if ever we were lucky enough to boom anything (fucking TV) private msg me for details.

I finally cut a hole under the shirt pocket, stuck a Sanken through it, bolted it down with Joe's , put a 4 inch patch of black moleskin on the underside! I fucking isolated that mic. Still you can not get away from acoustic noise! Period.

Good luck!

LL

I realy don't see how that could be the problem. I set the gain so that the talents voice is at a desired level and relative to that there is alot of cable noise. Pulling down the level would also pull down the talents voice.

Or do you meen noise from simply pulling the gain up too high, like hisses and hums? I'm not talking about that, I'm having problem with noise of things (like cloaths) touching the mic cable.

No I'm pretty sure it's not since I tested it outside wardrobe too. It's like this: if I hold the DPA 4061 with two fingers, just beneath the mic, to isolate it, and rub the cable below, there is bearly any noise. With my COS 11 I have to hold it with my entire hand and I still hear cable noise when I rub it. And this is at equivilant gains. The cable itself is more or less as sensetive as the mic body is to rubbing against cloth. Thats why I have such a hard time hiding it.

The lav is going to be more susceptable other noise at a higher gain.  I've found that with a few exceptions I can almost eliminate clothing noise by setting the gain much lower than I would other mics.  Depending on placement of course as well.  Doesn't really work if the mic has to be placed farther away from the subjects mouth such as with a very low and wide cut dress or gown. 

The lav is going to be more susceptable other noise at a higher gain.  I've found that with a few exceptions I can almost eliminate clothing noise by setting the gain much lower than I would other mics.  Depending on placement of course as well.

Unless the bias voltage of the Tx is causing cable capacitance , I can't see how this could be the case. I'm not saying that this isn't true for you, I just don't know why this would be. How are your mics wired?

You are still applying make-up gain down the line which is going to get you right back where you were.

I'm in the never-had-excessive-cable-noise-in-a-sanken camp personally. I would follow the suggestions of comparing it to another to see if you just got a faulty unit.

I'm curious about this,

Wyatt

Thanks for all  the replies. I tried pulling the serial code-thing up but it didn't helt. But fiddleing around with it I found that fixing the cable in a 90-180 degrees "turn shape with tension" pretty much isolated that cable futher down, much better than the loop (thinking I might be doing the loop wrong somehow).

I still think the cable is far noisier than most other lav cables and as soon as I get a hold on another COS 11 I'll compare them side by side. Once again, thanks for the input, guys.

• 6 years later...

Did you get the cos11d as secondhand or brand new from respectful sound seller? 

I had one long time ago... it was secondhand. The cable was really sensitive, it was almost impossible to keep it quiet. It seemed its electric static with the cable, noise generated even I touch the cable. It happened the seller changed the cable by himself, sold to me.... I think the soldiering was wrong.  If that is the case, the 11d might be faulty. If it's brand new...you better compare to others.. there still might be a soldiering problem I assume. 

If you could upload a 10 sec wav file ....

Hiro

• 3 weeks later...